New carbon hardtail???

Benduro

Likes Dirt
I'm finding my 08' Stumpy HT Comp (M5) a bit harsh these days but not that keen on going to a dually.
Mostly ride xc/enduro type stuff and love the responsiveness of the HT.
Would love to go steel or titanium but budget prob' won't stretch so when this popped up on my emails I got a bit keen:)
2010 Jamis Dakota dXC Pro... $2000 (RRP $5400):):):)
Thoughts?
Will it be any smoother than my current ride, will the carbon make much difference (re:less harsh)?

Attachments

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
carbon wont take out the harshness of the trail, it has the ability to deaden trail vibration so when you ride on gravel trails you get that jitter feeling or that vibration feeling, this is where carbon helps it deadens these vibrations. It wont work anything like suspension if that's the sort of affect you are looking for.

I am not sure on the following but It might help take the initial vibration from a sharp hit but it wont help absorb the bump at all.
I have only read up on the carbon side of things and not taken one on the trail so hopefully someone will jump on here with some riding experience but from my understanding it only addresses minor vibration and jitter.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Will def be an improvement over an alloy frame, the first thing that will likely negate the bike is the largish diameter seat post, for the price the bike is a great pickup. I have a Jamis roadie and the carbon frames they make are definitely underrated in my books for dampening and quality of their product, most likely due to their less pushy exposure through expensive marketing techniques. Looks to be a good buy and if you are after a bit of compliance in the rear end get your hands on a Syntace high flex seat post and this would give you a bit more softening in the rear end if thats what you are after, without going to a FS bike.

quiggs

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I'm not really sure how much difference it has made to me. Not much. Used to ride alu, got carbon, riding alu again.
If I ride 50kms I hurt just as much on whatever I ride.

Where I find that comfort difference is made is with some silicone grips, a good fitting saddle, wider bars (seem to flex a little more), and big bagged spongy soft tyres, and most importantly, using your elbows and knees properly as suspension. Good technique can make a hard ride so much softer.

Ride a bigger tyre at a lower psi and some silicone grips and you will increase your comfort more than changing frame material.

That's for me at least. And for the record I only ever owned one carbon hard tail and didn't like the hollow feel of it. I do prefer a carbon frame for road though.

There is one rider on here (a mod maybe?) who has broken every metal frame he's ever owned and swears by carbon. Can you get the opportunity to try one somehow?

Knut

Troll hunter
Steel

Ben, there are some very valid points on a thread "What makes a bike fast?". Have a look at steeel as an option too.

djslow

Likes Bikes
I have a Jamis 2010 dXc pro exactly like the one you are considering. I paid about 3000 for mine new as a run out so $2000 is a pretty good price. I love it. It is one of my favorite bikes of all time and has been the first bike I reach for the last 18 months except for 6hr enduros (still prefer a dually for that).

A few comments:
- Wheels. The wheels are heavy (about 2kg) and not tubeless (unless you use a conversion kit). I've fitted mine with 2012 Mavic Crossmax SLRs and the difference is significant. Budget for better wheels.

- Bars/Stem. The Bar and stem are fairly basic (and bars are quite narrow by modern standards (600mm I think)).

- 9 speed - nothing wrong with 9 speed but all the cool kids are on 10 these days.

- Forks - Quick release and straight (no taper) steerer. Again - works fine but not in line with current trends to 15mm axle and tapered Head tube/steerer.

- I changed the seat but that is personal preference.

Overall - I think the frame is really nice - looks good, stiff in the right places, a little forgiving (just a little) where it needs to be. It climbs better than any MTB I've owned so far. I love the bike but it does benefit from a little up grading to really unleash the potential.

Electric Panda

Likes Bikes
there is light stiff but harsh carbon frames and then there is a light stiff but compliant carbon frames...

go to your LBS put the same psi into the tyres and test a Merida/Scott/cannondale then test something like a BMC... sure the BMC is a little heavier and more expensive but the ride quality is compliant - if that is what you want of course...

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Cheers for all the informed replies.
A couple of moments when riding last week have me thinking that carbon might not be for me... Carbon + granite = ?
Stumpy is still strong (wish the body was:)) so might save for steel?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Cheers for all the informed replies.
A couple of moments when riding last week have me thinking that carbon might not be for me... Carbon + granite = ?
Stumpy is still strong (wish the body was:)) so might save for steel?
Why not just throw on a seat tube that is compliant as mentioned above, that will help when in the saddle, also carbon bars have more give and can help take some harshness out so maybe consider those as upgrades. If it is harsh when standing then play with some tire pressures and even tire widths, in theory a wider tire should feel better but there is obvious trade offs.

Q dog

Likes Dirt
Titanium is known for offering a more compliant ride than most other materials. And if you want to really take it to extremes, there's always bamboo bikes.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I've never tried one but maybe one of those Cane Creek thudbusters?
They work great mate, I have one if you would like to try it (Melbourne). A HT is a HT regardless of what the frame is made out of. Yes you will see a more complient ride from a well made Ti frame, running a big bag rear tyre /tubeless at lower pressure, yes a good carbon frame will absorb some of the trail chatter and a smaller diameter post in titanium will take a little sting out of the small stuff. After coming from 15 years of FS to HTs all I can say is to get out of the saddle and if it is a SS - strengthen your core muscles - you will need them.
I cant help but think your current bike sounds good and that you will not gain much getting a new bike. If you are looking for comfort/ do longer rides/ shopping with friends and long walks on the beach - sell everything you have and get a 4 inch FS 26er.

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Thanks again guys.
29er... Not for me, besides I havn't seen too many in a 15.5/16" frame size.
Was loving the Stumpy HT again at Castlemaine (IW race 2), it was perfect for that course and style (XCO) of race:)
Will def' look into these thudbusters you speak of and my relatively new saddle (Fizik Tundra 2) may need to make way for something with a bit more flex... Maybe a Fizik Gobi, for enduro type racing?