New carbon rims from Ibis - up to 41mm external width

omac

Likes Dirt
Iv always preferred a wider rim for my bulky 100kg mass but now days a skinner rim seem to be the norm

I'm really splitting hairs now but Id like to see a "happy medium" width, something like 35mm external, 28mm internal.

41mm is not too bad tho, compared to these lol
sun-double-wide-26.jpg

Has anyone tried these out?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had a chance to try these out yet? I'd be interested to hear some feedback, as they are quite pricey to take a gamble on. I'm not aware of any other xc/enduro rim this wide, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Pete

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had a chance to try these out yet? I'd be interested to hear some feedback, as they are quite pricey to take a gamble on. I'm not aware of any other xc/enduro rim this wide, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Pete
xc and enduro are 2 different things... you wont be using a 41mm wide rim for xc duties.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
The 41's look massively deep in the section, would be very stiff.... Maybe too stiff* (One of the complaints about about the 1st gen ENVE wheels)

* I have no personal experience with carbon MTB wheels, so could very well be talking out my arse.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Suggest you do a search for "Derby Rims", which are the rims Ibis based theirs on (they're mates with Derby apparently and foot some of the bill for his rims). Very good reports by all accounts; I've just built a set up but have only had one short ride on them so lot enough to give a serious opinion. They are certainly well made and built up nicely.

If you want something not quite as wide check out the Syntace W35MX's; they're 35mm outside/30mm inside, almost as light as carbon rims, and they're without doubt the tightest factory-built wheels I've ever seen. HUbs are great too, very light, adaptable to various standards, and have a star ratchet freehub.

FWIW :)

tex72

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Pete
I can't believe after 11 years that this is your 1st post.:ranger:

jbg

Likes Dirt
Suggest you do a search for "Derby Rims", which are the rims Ibis based theirs on (they're mates with Derby apparently and foot some of the bill for his rims). Very good reports by all accounts; I've just built a set up but have only had one short ride on them so lot enough to give a serious opinion. They are certainly well made and built up nicely.

If you want something not quite as wide check out the Syntace W35MX's; they're 35mm outside/30mm inside, almost as light as carbon rims, and they're without doubt the tightest factory-built wheels I've ever seen. HUbs are great too, very light, adaptable to various standards, and have a star ratchet freehub.

FWIW :)
Be very keen to hear some feedback on the Derby rims once you get some k's on them.
Heard great things on them and wonder how they go as a trail bike wheel. Got an email from Derby saying they will have more available in about 3 weeks.
did you get the xc or heavy duty rims?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Be very keen to hear some feedback on the Derby rims once you get some k's on them.
Heard great things on them and wonder how they go as a trail bike wheel. Got an email from Derby saying they will have more available in about 3 weeks.
did you get the xc or heavy duty rims?
I got the HD rims as they're very light either way, and for the sake of a few grams I'd rather go with extra strength. FWIW, I built the 650B's (HD) up with Sapim CX-Rays, alloy nipples, and Syntace MX hubs; 770gm front and 810gm rear is pretty crazy weights for a rim of such girth! A friend of mine also has the same rims but in lightweight layup; he's been riding them for about 2 months and things seem to be going pretty well so far...

jbg

Likes Dirt
Yea think I would go HD too.
One thing that I have trouble getting my head around with these wide rims is the physics of having these big bulky looking wheels. By the looks of them to me I feel they would be sluggish and slow on flatter trails and with the lower pressure wouldn't roll as fast.

On the other hand they are lightweight and very rigid so apparently transfer the power well.

Will be interesting to see how these go as trail bike wheels, copping with downhill, uphill and flat trails or if they are more suitable for endure/gravity riding.

Last edited:

horsey

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Pete
I am testing these wheels at the moment. Only done 4 rides, but a few initial comments...
- You must use round profile tires; HR2 and Magic Mary don't work. They become way too square and wide.
- Wheel stiffness and acceleration is impressive
- I am 95kg and I can comfortably ride 18psi fr 20psi rr.
- Width + low pressure = great traction and low rolling resistance. and great stability in corners even at low pressure.
- I love the feeling on roots and small bumps with the wide contact patch and low pressure.

I am definitely a wide rim believer now, the handling is fantastic. Can't comment on reliability strength yet though, and just be sure you get appropriate tires!

stickso

Likes Dirt
I am testing these wheels at the moment. Only done 4 rides, but a few initial comments...
- You must use round profile tires; HR2 and Magic Mary don't work. They become way too square and wide.
- Width + low pressure = great traction and low rolling resistance. and great stability in corners even at low pressure.
- I love the feeling on roots and small bumps with the wide contact patch and low pressure.

I am definitely a wide rim believer now, the handling is fantastic. Can't comment on reliability strength yet though, and just be sure you get appropriate tires!
Read a good review of these on PinkBike yesterday which reflects your comments
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ibis-741-carbon-wheels-review-2014.html

Thanks for the meaningful reply Horsey, great to hear someone backing up what the manufactures claim. What tyres did you end up settling for?

I can't believe after 11 years that this is your 1st post.:ranger:
Cheers, I'd like to think that I find myself too busy having fun riding than to be sitting in front of my computer on these forums. Haven't really used this much since I joined in the farkin.net days. Just looking for some meaningful feedback on wide rims.

Last edited:

horsey

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the meaningful reply Horsey, great to hear someone backing up what the manufactures claim. What tyres did you end up settling for?
Haven't been able to test a lot of different tyres. The magic mary simply did not work, HR2 I was advised in advance is also too square. I have been riding with a 2.3 Minion DHF EXO TR on front, and a 2.35 SG Hans Dampf on the back. This combination works really well.

I want to try the minion DHR2, but cant get them. Also want to try some of the continental tires that have very round profiles.

horsey

Likes Dirt

An update to this review...

After 4 weeks the rims have held up to some proper hard core enduro riding in the Swiss/Frenchi alps. Unfortunately though the freehub died, and to be honest from what looks to be just poor quality.

So Rims = Great! Hubs = shit!

I think I am gonna get the rear rim re-built onto a Hope pro 2.

horsey

Likes Dirt
Update...

The rear rim cracked around the valve hole, I will admit I gave this wheel some solid abuse, but the crack is clearly a manufacturing defect as the the crack is right along where the rim is joined.

Wait till next years model ;)

ChopSticks

Banned
Update...

The rear rim cracked around the valve hole, I will admit I gave this wheel some solid abuse, but the crack is clearly a manufacturing defect as the the crack is right along where the rim is joined.
interesting....
any chance you can upload a pic? curious to see how exactly it failed