New chainguide -> Rear Derailler Issues

ademb

Likes Dirt
Basic story is, got a new chainguide installed on my atomik about a week back, took the bike out riding and noticed that the gears were running pretty average, grinding, skipping a bit etc etc.

Looked up on the net at adjustment tutorials and figured id give it a go. Now ive come across the main problem i think, When the bike is in its lowest gear (1) and i try shift higher to 2 that first click with the shifter doesnt actually move the chain off the first cog, therefore when i get to 8, its still sitting on the 7th cog etc.

Now I'm sure its just something simple to fix this issue and I'm feeling pretty stupid over it so far, anyone got some pointers?

chris95

Likes Dirt
i find if you shift to the highest gear(8) then unto the cable pinch bolt. now adjust the high screw until it is perfectly straight under the last gear. now pull your cable tight and do up the pinch bolt. you will find it might be a bit slow to change up a gear so twist your barrel adjuster on the shifter until the cable is at perfect tension.

jp4294

Likes Dirt
I could be wrong but you might need to adjust the tension using the barrel adjuster on the shifter or derailleur depending on the brand and model. If I remember correctly if it doesn't shift to a lower gear (bigger ring) you need to add tension by turning it anti-clockwise and the opposite if it doesn't shift to a lower gear (bigger ring) smoothly. I'm not 100% sure if that's is your problem but I tried :eek: :D

i find if you shift to the highest gear(8) then unto the cable pinch bolt. now adjust the high screw until it is perfectly straight under the last gear. now pull your cable tight and do up the pinch bolt. you will find it might be a bit slow to change up a gear so twist your barrel adjuster on the shifter until the cable is at perfect tension.
I do this as well. I find it works really well, as do all the other mechanics at work.