new crit machine

RB 24

Likes Dirt
howdy all.

thinking I might upgrade the young fellas new ride for the sake of it.

He is a young D grade rider that weighs as much as a wet towell.

so been advised to pay attention to these rides.. Whats peoples thoughts or input? Looking at the $3500 mark.

Argon 18 Galium Pro Frame with sram red (no wheels he would use his own)
Specialized SL3 Tarmac expert.
Giant Advanced SL1.

Obviously the lighter the better...

thanks for any input or other brands. I havent discounted any brand what so ever.

cheers.

RB

setonz

Likes Dirt
Cannondale CAAD10, probably the lightest frame of that group and possibly the stiffest also.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Cannondale, but a different model.
I just picked up a SuperSix 3 for around your budget.
Phenomenally stiff and awesome handling, check 'em out

RB 24

Likes Dirt
hmm I had looked at a Cannondale supersix3 with Ultegra...

didnt contemplate the Caad 10 though..

thanks boys!

akashra

Eats Squid
I've had two Merida Reactos since May 2011, and it's without a doubt the best frame I've ridden. It's damn stiff, and the geometry is fantastic, especially for crit racing.
Is you shop around, a 2012 one can very likely be had fof $3500 - they're $4k full retail, which is a farbon frame with Ultegra coming in at 7.6kg

RB 24

Likes Dirt
seen a merida 909 going at a good price... just never heard much of them apart from their tri bikes..

7.6... without sounding like a knob what would I do to drop it sub 7?

cheers.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
on a side note... found a Cannondale caad10 1 with dura ace for the price market... 2011.

did much change from the 2011 to the 2012 models?

akashra

Eats Squid
With Tricon 1450s on Ultremo R1s mine weighs in at 7.2.
Only change from the 2011 to 20122 was the new SFlex seatpost, Ultegra instead of FSA cranks, Fulcrum Racing wheels instead of DT1700s, and different tyres.

Maybe carbon bars, lighter saddle and DA pedals and you'd get it pretty close to 7.

909 is Dura Ace already, so it's going to be slightly lighter than the Ultegra specced 907.

Edit: Sorry, realised after you meant 2011 to 2012 Cannondale, but meh - now you know re the Reacto :p

RB 24

Likes Dirt
With Tricon 1450s on Ultremo R1s mine weighs in at 7.2.
Only change from the 2011 to 20122 was the new SFlex seatpost, Ultegra instead of FSA cranks, Fulcrum Racing wheels instead of DT1700s, and different tyres.

Maybe carbon bars, lighter saddle and DA pedals and you'd get it pretty close to 7.

909 is Dura Ace already, so it's going to be slightly lighter than the Ultegra specced 907.

Edit: Sorry, realised after you meant 2011 to 2012 Cannondale, but meh - now you know re the Reacto :p

yeah got that thanks ash :)

he would be on a small frame.. again a silly question I would imagine a good small frame to be sub 1kg or is that not reality?

Lorday

Eats Squid
Considered the Felt F-series or AR-series? F series frames are serious light.

Also Focus do some pretty good bikes and TBSM are very resoanble with there pirces/

wombat

Lives in a hole
IIs you shop around, a 2012 one can very likely be had fof $3500 - they're $4k full retail, which is a farbon frame with Ultegra coming in at 7.6kg
Pretty sure 3499 is now the RRP (had a drop early on). 105 bike is a pretty cheap way into that frame too at under 3 grand.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yikes, that's twice it's dropped in price - my 2011 was bought when the RRP was $4500; the 2012 came out at $4500 and very quickly dropped to $4000. $3500 for it is a bargain; $3000 for a 105 equipped Reacto (904) is an absolute steal!

RB 24

Likes Dirt
yeah we had considered the Felt range.

the boy was lucky? enough to have a 2012 F95 and it was.... ok. I know it is at the bottom end of things but it did worry me about their frames etc..

how do they rate? anyone got one they can compare too?

Focus is one that did take my fancy.. dont know much about them at all though apart from what I have seen on special.

cheers again Ash.

markyh990

Likes Dirt
I'm not going to get into how spending that mush money is nearly the dumbest thing I've ever read, on a bike he will ride for a year and grow out of, whilst not nearly being able to produce the power to get 20% frame and components. You obviously have a bug up your ass to spend the money and no-one is going to stop you.

However, if I had the cash I would get an Argon, absolutely amazing bike. I wouldn't get the gallium pro as it is no different to the normal gallium, just a few grams, and I wouldn't get the gallium as it is only marginally better then the krypton. And since its for racing, when that inevitable over the bars happens you won't be so far out of pocket

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
What?

I wonder if Cadel Evans and Cameron Meyers parents also had bugs up their arses.Maybe this kid can ride ,maybe hes a natural and his parents are helping him to progress with his chosen sport or maybe hes got great parents. I say if can afford it and hes enjoying it then do it.
Actually no dont buy it ,let him lock himself in his room and play Shit Box instead.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
I'm not going to get into how spending that mush money is nearly the dumbest thing I've ever read, on a bike he will ride for a year and grow out of, whilst not nearly being able to produce the power to get 20% frame and components. You obviously have a bug up your ass to spend the money and no-one is going to stop you.

However, if I had the cash I would get an Argon, absolutely amazing bike. I wouldn't get the gallium pro as it is no different to the normal gallium, just a few grams, and I wouldn't get the gallium as it is only marginally better then the krypton. And since its for racing, when that inevitable over the bars happens you won't be so far out of pocket
thanks Mark,

Yeah I am happy to spend the money on my kid that will ride it for 2 years and inevitably stack the thing. I actually couldnt care about that.

so that aside.. I had heard the Galium was still the kick ass machine.. seems to be the one that keeps popping up.

Cheers

RB 24

Likes Dirt
I wonder if Cadel Evans and Cameron Meyers parents also had bugs up their arses.Maybe this kid can ride ,maybe hes a natural and his parents are helping him to progress with his chosen sport or maybe hes got great parents. I say if can afford it and hes enjoying it then do it.
Actually no dont buy it ,let him lock himself in his room and play Shit Box instead.
thanks Dan.

the kids busts his ass every week and tries his heart out. Yes I am fortunate enough to be able to spoil my kids when they put in.

appreciate the comments mate :)

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The way I figure it if your son appreciates the bike and is training hard, good luck to him and good on you for supporting him. This whole "he/she doesn't deserve a bike like that" argument is bullshit.
Go nuts RB24, buy your kid a fully sick bike and grab yourself something nice while you are there.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
The way I figure it if your son appreciates the bike and is training hard, good luck to him and good on you for supporting him. This whole "he/she doesn't deserve a bike like that" argument is bullshit.
Go nuts RB24, buy your kid a fully sick bike and grab yourself something nice while you are there.
cheers Cam... here is hoping I can slink something through the cracks and increase the goodies on my bike.

scblack

Leucocholic

And you obviously have your head firmly wedged up your ass.

$3,500 is not a lot of money in the bigger scheme of raising a child. And if he wants to spend it, why the hell is that your problem???

He is spending money on his son, keeping him fit, keeping him competitive and keeping him outdoors - FAR FAR better than buying him a plasma screen and a Playstation wouldn't you think?

Your post is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Just because you are unable to afford a bike like that for your kids does not mean others should spend less. Keep your small mind to yourself.