New Downhill Bike!?

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Just thought I'd come back to tell you guys I found a sweet deal on a 2013 giant glory 1 and I will be purchasing it soon. Comes with 5 year warranty on parts and I think a life time on frame?? Not completely sure. But it comes with a vivid air. Sweeeet, thanks guys for the help :thumb:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Just thought I'd come back to tell you guys I found a sweet deal on a 2013 giant glory 1 and I will be purchasing it soon. Comes with 5 year warranty on parts and I think a life time on frame?? Not completely sure. But it comes with a vivid air. Sweeeet, thanks guys for the help :thumb:
Not sure on giant glory's warranty, however there are always clauses if you race the bike it will be void. Good stores will help you out though and try get the warranty for you anyway.

Parts is ussually through. The store so that's a good one but keep in mind that only covers malfunctions. If you crash and break/damage something it wont be covered or if you do your own servicing or set something up wrong and then break the part it won't be covered.

There are lots of little clauses, its a good idea to ask for the warranty statement so you can read it (there will be one on the bike). If the store is offering the 5yr parts than ask for a warrant to statement from them so you have some documentation.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who actually tells the shop they where racing the bike when it cracked? I have snapped a giant glory before and giant gave me a new frame with in a week and it was a newer model.

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the info drift :thumb:

I'm still stuck on what size frame to get. My estimation of my height was totally off. I'm about 5"6-5"7 small or medium? Smaller the better I'm thinking. Store I'm purchasing from is my LBS just down the street, they do rebuilds ect ect. And have a good reputation thankfully. :thumb:

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
Also had no issue at all getting my glory frame replaced under warranty. Hoping I crack this one soon so I can get the updated geo! Free new frames are awesome.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Who actually tells the shop they where racing the bike when it cracked? I have snapped a giant glory before and giant gave me a new frame with in a week and it was a newer model.
I guess it depends in the shop, many are involved in racing or ride themselves so if your local they might just know you race anyway. You don't need to be racing the bike either. My mate cracked his frame like 2 weeks after his first race and they didn't want to cover it.

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
well this is uhh.. awkward..

After thinking long and hard on which bike i should get, testing multiple bikes ect. I decided not to go with a glory. Reason being? To me it was to aggressive. ( my opinion ). And since that thought i have been looking around and my LBS just had a brand new 2013 Norco Aurum 1 come in. And yeh.. i bit the bullet.. and the beauty is mine.. picking her up next week.. thanks everyone for the suggestions.

driftking

Wheel size expert
After thinking long and hard on which bike i should get, testing multiple bikes ect. I decided not to go with a glory. Reason being? To me it was to aggressive. ( my opinion ). And since that thought i have been looking around and my LBS just had a brand new 2013 Norco Aurum 1 come in. And yeh.. i bit the bullet.. and the beauty is mine.. picking her up next week.. thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Too agressive what do you mean by that? Just curious

Also aurum nice choice. The build kits ussually arent as good for the money but the frames Are great. Personally I think the aurum is a much better bike than the glory. Well played sir.

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
I mean the geo was just uncomfortable and felt aggressive. No idea how else to put it. I think i got a fare deal for what it comes with like the boxxer rc2c and fox rc2.. had the option of getting the CCDB but no need because of my weight.. also has shimano saint. i think this bike will serve me well. :D and compared to the glory spec its beast. Glad i didnt get the glory tbh.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I mean the geo was just uncomfortable and felt aggressive. No idea how else to put it. I think i got a fare deal for what it comes with like the boxxer rc2c and fox rc2.. had the option of getting the CCDB but no need because of my weight.. also has shimano saint. i think this bike will serve me well. :D and compared to the glory spec its beast. Glad i didnt get the glory tbh.
Oh nice I wasn't aware that model had that sort of spec, good stuff. I think you took the right option definitely.

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
There are 4 Models if i am correct. Theres the aurum 3 (lowest spec), Aurum 2 (okish spec) aurum 1 (High spec) then LE or something version that has a ccdb.. was $250 more for that at lbs on sale but i dont need it.. and yes resale value ect better.. but setting it up is hell ive heard from both forums and lbs riders.. I personally think i got a steal.. though, havent really rode it as they had only a large/without pedals so i had to just cruize around the shopping center.. but i got the feel of it. And i cant wait to take it on its first run.:rockon::rockon:

First DH Bike? Gumtree Bro

I gotta say, with a budget of $2800, you can picck up some decent rigs on gumtree, all you might need is some elbow grease and a shock rebuild ($150)
id say get something like:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kiama-downs/bicycles/trek-session-8-8-2012-medium/1030713022
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ipswich/bicycles/2012-gt-fury-downhill-mountain-bike/1030426689
or if you want bombproof
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warnbro/bicycles/custom-2008-iron-horse-sunday-team-x/1031293210

I got my first couple off gumtree, Kona Stab, Glory 2 and a Yakuza Kumicho. I havent regretted it whatso ever
Cheers Lads