New e13 TRS Plus upgrade to 12spd for existing 11spd SRAM

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That's a pretty neat solution - wonder what Sram think about it...

Read the PB article too, noted @Zaf weighing in on the comments with his derailleur-transcendent gearbox.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Read the PB article too, noted @Zaf weighing in on the comments with his derailleur-transcendent gearbox.
It's like a sickness. He'll be like Pavlov's dog once that bike is built up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

It's my thing now, I accept who I am!

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zaf

But in all seriousness, this E*Thirteen upgrade is awesome and a brilliant bit of design. I still love the machining of these one/two piece cassettes, they're a marvel to just hold and spin over in the hand.

In my defence (do yanks seriously spell that with an s?), somebody else mentioned gearboxes first, and I simply joined in...I'm gonna make "fetch" happen!

Nambra

I noted some PB commenters querying the relevance when e*13 already has an 11-speed 9-46 range cassette.

I'd imagine you won't see this specced on new bikes, given that you void the Sram warranty with the upgrade. Would you run this cassette with an NX Eagle shifter / derailleur for a low weight combo, or just go GX Eagle for similar money?

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

If you're sitting on a SRAM 11sp kit that's starting to wear out, it's a no brainer to go with the E*Thirteen 12spd converter, with a new chainring (two teeth lower to match the higher range spread). The beauty of the 11sp cassette is that it keeps them relevant to Shimano products still, because the big shortfall with the Shimano cassettes have been their solid 25-30% increase in weight on the end of your swingarm.

I'd be inclined to avoid the Eagle derailleur cages if I could, they're at the antithesis of most of the gearbox logic; load the rear suspension with proportionally more weight and further expose the most vulnerable bit of equipment on the bike to passing debris.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Maybe I got a dud but I just can’t get my E13 11speed playing nicely.
I’ve had problems with the cassette parts coming loose and messing up the shifting which sounds like an issue they have sorted with a lock screw and even when I’ve had a shop mechanic tune the whole shebang it still clunks and changes weirdly.
Never had a problem with my old trusty sram cassettes and am thinking of pissing off the e13 altogether.
I know this thread is about the 12 sp but I don’t think I’d be buying one. Even the reviewer mentioned he had shifting issues in the high gears.

Nambra

Did the review mention what chain comes with the kit - I don't recall
If you're sitting on a SRAM 11sp kit that's starting to wear out, it's a no brainer to go with the E*Thirteen 12spd converter, with a new chainring (two teeth lower to match the higher range spread). The beauty of the 11sp cassette is that it keeps them relevant to Shimano products still, because the big shortfall with the Shimano cassettes have been their solid 25-30% increase in weight on the end of your swingarm.

I'd be inclined to avoid the Eagle derailleur cages if I could, they're at the antithesis of most of the gearbox logic; load the rear suspension with proportionally more weight and further expose the most vulnerable bit of equipment on the bike to passing debris.
Valid point @Zaf, having 12-speed without the long derailleur cage is definitely a good thing. Not just sticks though, I got a cane toad stuck in mine on a night ride once.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never that guy who says "My existing equipment works great, noone needs this". Maybe I'm officially old and stubborn now, but I would never get a kit like this.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
11 speed E13 cassette is a piece of junk! I run one and wish I'd never paid the stupid $$$ I did for it. 2-3 rides after a strip and re-grease and it starts creaking again. The design of the 2 halves is incredibly poor. Top 3 lock on snug with a solid lock ring, next 8 are a block that just float with 3 little tabs twisted around. It is never tight and easily wobbles with your fingers. The fitment of the cover for the extraction fan in my bathroom is better.
I contacted the company after getting the shits with all the creaking and they basically said I'm full of it and that they don't creak. Funny that owners of the previous models were sent a shim to fit between the 2 halves to make it more solid and not creak after many complaints. I'll definitely change cassette once I feel I've sort of got my money out of this one..........

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I've got one of the Garbaruk wide ratio 11 speed cassettes (11-48) which I haven't had a chance to try yet but they also do an 11 speed 10-50T for xD freehub which gets you Eagle range with one less gear. The cassettes are lightweight (~300g) and made like the top of the range SRAM cassettes. No idea how long it will last, but only the big cog is made from alu, the rest is from the one block of steel. Seems well made and others are reporting good life.

I thought about the E13 but there were too many bad reports...

marc_rebel

Cannon Fodder
Anyone out here with >longer< term experience with the 12 speed conversion yet?
I would be interested in shift quality (and ~precision -did you replace the upper derailleur jockey wheel as well when converting to 12-speed?)