New enduro rules

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
So I was informed today that in accordance with the new MTBA National Enduro Series rules full face helmets will be required at state races from 2016.
I support the decision when it comes to the Elite category and if the track is deemed extremely difficult. However, even if the round is held on a more XC orientated track this is just going to look like a joke.

I have no evidence but, I believe that this will hinder newcomers coming to events. With the current rules an average Joe can just rock up and have a good day out. No they will have to buy a new helmet and be prepared to possibly carry two helmets all day.

I'd like to know everyone elses thoughts.

moorey

call me Mia
I was miffed when buller was advertised as mandatory full face, till I rode it. In the heat, and on a tame track, it's going to be a chunt.

duneblazer

Likes Bikes
Seems over the top, except for certain races on truly difficult stages.
I agree, the whole draw card of it is just to get people riding a racing in a relaxed environment. A wide range of bikes suit it, ranges of skills and experience. Ride up , race down - it's what everyone does on a random weekend for mates.

will2

Likes Dirt
Seems like it is just to go in accordance with the trend. Should be a judgement the rider has to make.
Munted head vs Lighter head.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Organiser's probably trying to minimise liability as well. Though if someone can afford to ride a dually I don't think $100 for a fullface is a big deal. Rather save my face if i was going head first.

will2

Likes Dirt
Organiser's probably trying to minimise liability as well. Though if someone can afford to ride a dually I don't think $100 for a fullface is a big deal. Rather save my face if i was going head first.
Waiting for the day when people at races are all wearing that one 661 helmet, that will be good.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Not the most ventilated but hey it's still a fullface and I am sure some guys have started with it before going super 2r or parachute

haltz

Likes Dirt
From what I've seen of the nsw state races they're pretty much just descending xc trails(apart from what I heard of del rio) and i use descending loosely. Will be a bit of a laughing stock sport a bunch of people kitted to the 9 to ride stuff any xc rider would ride in Lycra and an open face.
I think they'll instantly lose a handful of guys out there just for a good trail ride with a crowd, maybe even alot since the most part of them races seems to be about the fun, not much fun in lugging 2 helmets around and if anyone's like me they'd agree them bell super 2r helmets are a god damn abortion an oxygen hose off looking like a predator mask.

teK--

Eats Squid
From what I've seen of the nsw state races they're pretty much just descending xc trails(apart from what I heard of del rio) and i use descending loosely. Will be a bit of a laughing stock sport a bunch of people kitted to the 9 to ride stuff any xc rider would ride in Lycra and an open face.
I think they'll instantly lose a handful of guys out there just for a good trail ride with a crowd, maybe even alot since the most part of them races seems to be about the fun, not much fun in lugging 2 helmets around and if anyone's like me they'd agree them bell super 2r helmets are a god damn abortion an oxygen hose off looking like a predator mask.
In that case better get one of these

unnamed (1).jpg

Markee

Likes Dirt
It's all fine till wayne the weekend warrior bails, breaks his jaw, knocks him self out then requires an ambulance therefore shutting down the stage for more than an hour!
Everyone then gets pissed at the promoter for not getting enough track time.
I think it's a great idea.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It's all fine till wayne the weekend warrior bails, breaks his jaw, knocks him self out then requires an ambulance therefore shutting down the stage for more than an hour!
Everyone then gets pissed at the promoter for not getting enough track time.
I think it's a great idea.
+1. What you ride with on your own time is up to you but if you want to race, you do so with rules.

Don't want to buy or wear a full face? Race XC, easy fix.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even on decending XC trails on a 6" FS bike you can get up to some pretty high speeds and can launch and tackle more features than the average lycra XC lid wearer on a hardtail XC bike. I don't thinks it's such a bad idea and it makes it more even across the board. I often disadvantaged myself by choosing to wear a Full face when they were not compulsory, now everyone will have the same (admittedly some are better vented etc) level of equipment.
If you think they are unnecessary, you are either a very skilled rider, or you are not going fast enough. ;)

I agree though, it's still going to suck in hot weather.

It's just a sign of the times with insurance calling the shots, neck and back braces for DH will be next

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some tracks I can understand. But forcing people to use full face helmets on every track is just silly. Why not have a form that can be signed to allow participants to use whatever helmet they want?

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I get making all the safety points but, I really think it should be up to the rider.
Some kids who are just beginning may have a dually but thats all their cash gone. Asking them to go out and buy a new helmet could just deter them from coming out. It's supposed to be about community and having a good time. XC is a completely different scene down here and not very inviting.

The interesting thing is that when Troy Brosnan comes out to race he is in XC gear where as Fearon is in a full face. Neither of these riders lack skill or speed yet they approach it from two completely different ways.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Some tracks I can understand. But forcing people to use full face helmets on every track is just silly. Why not have a form that can be signed to allow participants to use whatever helmet they want?
I'm sure event organisers, with a signed waiver or not, don't want the hassle, bad rep or to interrupt their schedules with the extra time needed to scrap up and heli-vac out some arsehole who thought he was invincible.

Agreed that it's over the top for some events, but it's near impossible to have rule variance for different rounds of the same event. One rule across the board saves confusion for competitors.

If someone is going to enter Enduro racing events, surely they ride hard enough week in week out to feel the need to own a full face helmet for their own protection, whatever the brand or expense level ?

I've seen the same in Europe when racing motorbikes in short circuit championships, one guy has a $1200 Arai helmet, guy next to him has a $200 no name helmet. Both are certified for racing use, but both bought to suit the individuals budget.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I think its a good idea. As long as the course warrants it. If its a GE event and its using all XC trails with no real descents, it shouldnt be a GE event.

After I crashed in the wet at Ourimbah wearing a full face I got up, dusted off and completed the stage, in an open face I'd have had chin / cheek grazes.

Where it will suck a little is on non shuttled/lifted liaison stage uphill climbs that go on a public road, eg. Del Rio

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
$99 is about the cheapest for a brand new full face I've seen, thats cheaper than most of the current crop of normal helmets most riding enthusiasts use. not exactly a deal breaker is it?