New FF Helmet Rules for GE Events

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Just saw a post by Local Club with the following Info from MTBA.

Looks like starting January all events labeled as Gravity Enduro will have to have compulsory Full face or Full face with detachable chin bars for race stages and liaison stages (or open face while carrying FF for Liason)

Might turn some off and see numbers decline a little, but it seems good from a safety perspective. Not sure ALL events qualify for the rule though. Some trails used can be pretty tame. That's said I've already got a FF I use. #soenduro

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Be interesting to see what this means for Rocky trails Entertainment. They have been plugging their revised version of the Rollercoaster gravity enduro events next year stating that they no longer require a FF helmet.
RTE.jpg

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I thought it was going to be horrible until I tried it at a couple of events. In the end I beat a lot of my times in other races and that was mainly down to the extra safety I felt from the helmet encouraging me to go faster.

A lot of other punters didn't really seem to kick up a fuss at the national series.

I can't see it making a huge dent in the turn out anymore.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Then Bell Super 2r's just got harder to get.

I managed a face plant tonight just in some single track and it wasn't pleasant. I've never had this misfortune before in 20 years of MTB.

After this I'd hate to hit the deck at full race pace without one.

I must admit it wasn't much fun though lugging around the FF at Stromlo at the National round. Lucky I only lasted the one stage before I blew my rear tire apart.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt

I managed a face plant tonight just in some single track and it wasn't pleasant. I've never had this misfortune before in 20 years of MTB.

I must admit it wasn't much fun though lugging around the FF at Stromlo at the National round. Lucky I only lasted the one stage before I blew my rear tire apart.
I wore mine the whole time at a couple of events and really didn't notice much difference.

I didn't envy all the guys trying to clip the chin bars on their 2R's with gloves on.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I wore mine the whole time at a couple of events and really didn't notice much difference.

I didn't envy all the guys trying to clip the chin bars on their 2R's with gloves on.
I got the newer model Met Parachute..... Chin bar stays as its permanent, no adverse heat effect yet.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
We brought this rule in at the start of 2015 in Qld. No point delaying the inevitable or pretending it wont happen. We saw no decrease in numbers, but probably at least one case at each round where the FF did its job in a pretty big way.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not sure but I think that the Super2R doesn't comply with the Australian standards for a full face only a half shell. That's why I grabbed a Met parachute. At the time it was the lightest FF to comply with American and Australian standards. That may have changed since I grabbed it but I am quite sure the Super 2R doesn't meet the standard. That said I'm not sure who/how it will be policed except that if you eat shit and you were wearing something that didn't meet the required standard they may not cover you insurance-wise.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Not sure but I think that the Super2R doesn't comply with the Australian standards for a full face only a half shell. That's why I grabbed a Met parachute. At the time it was the lightest FF to comply with American and Australian standards. That may have changed since I grabbed it but I am quite sure the Super 2R doesn't meet the standard. That said I'm not sure who/how it will be policed except that if you eat shit and you were wearing something that didn't meet the required standard they may not cover you insurance-wise.

Specs from pushys online store -

Adjustable Visor
• Breakaway Camera Mount Attachment
• GoggleGuide
• Overbrow Ventilation
• Polycarbonate Shell
• Twin Axis Gear (TAG)
• X-Static Padding
• Weight: 694g
• Vents: 23 helmet, 4 brow ports, 6 chin-bar
• Certification: CE EN1078, CPSC Bicycle, AS/NZS 2063

That's the certification required according to the MTBA release.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My understanding is the super 2r doesnt meet the Australian Standard for full face helmets like the meta parachute. Yet saying that i believe most events will full under standard A of the full face rule allowing you to run the bell super 2r with chin bar on on timed
stages and liason stages with it off.

I know that CCOMTB club are checking to see if their gravity enduro races full under standard A or standard B due to some stages beinging on the downhill track. We are hoping standard A as it is the tamest of dh tracks going around.

Ben_M

Likes Bikes
This would only apply to MTBA sanctioned events wouldn't it? I didn't think that Rockytail was affiliated with MTBA so it wouldn't apply to them, maybe/maybe not?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This would only apply to MTBA sanctioned events wouldn't it? I didn't think that Rockytail was affiliated with MTBA so it wouldn't apply to them, maybe/maybe not?
Not sure. I had to either have an MTBA membership or pay for a temporary race day membership to race with them so I just assumed that the rules would apply to them too.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Specs from pushys online store -

Adjustable Visor
• Breakaway Camera Mount Attachment
• GoggleGuide
• Overbrow Ventilation
• Polycarbonate Shell
• Twin Axis Gear (TAG)
• X-Static Padding
• Weight: 694g
• Vents: 23 helmet, 4 brow ports, 6 chin-bar
• Certification: CE EN1078, CPSC Bicycle, AS/NZS 2063

That's the certification required according to the MTBA release.
I think most open faces meet this standard don't they?

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I know that CCOMTB club are checking to see if their gravity enduro races full under standard A or standard B due to some stages beinging on the downhill track. We are hoping standard A as it is the tamest of dh tracks going around.
The important part there is it is up to the race director. I can say now that EMS Australia will run all events (including National rounds) as standard A. The only real option (that I know of) with a detachable chin is the Bell, and I would think that it has more protection then a MET or URGE. I have seen a few crashes on the bell, and have never heard of the chin bar coming off.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
My understanding is the super 2r doesnt meet the Australian Standard for full face helmets like the meta parachute.
You are correct . MET parachute is the only one that has passed testing under full face tests standards for Australia . This will be my choice next year , not only does it weigh less than your traditional full face it is just as safe and proven to breathe well .