New Forks: Manitou or Rockshox

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
Hi All

So its time for a new pair of shocks and have been given some great advice from here but unfortunately im not really in a position to get a pair of 2nd hand sid's as was suggested.

So I am buying new (for a number of reasons) so I have narrowed it down to a few different shocks. I am not sure of who would service Manitou and what sort of backup they have if I go into a LBS as all the ones around me seem to only sell RS.

Any and all advice and experiences are welcome, cheers.
PS stuck with 1 1/8th straight steerer, 26" rim with 9mm QR.

Rockshox 30 Gold TK solo air with poploc 100mm- $400ish
+'s
Nice and Light, newer design, seems easier to get serviced
-'s
Most expensive, only 100mm

Rockshox Recon Silver with poploc 100mm - $300ish
+'s easier to get serviced, proven design 32mm stanchions
-'s heavier than gold, older designer

Manitou Marvel Comp - $300ish
+'s cheaper, 120mm travel
-'s not sure of servicing

Manitou Minute LTD - $380ish
+'s not most expensive, 130mm travel
-'s not sure of servicing.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Manitou don't currently have a service provider in Australia. The nearest authorised location is Shockcraft in NZ.

I have a Mattoc that is fantastic, had a warranty issue that was handled superbly by Manitou (I did have to send it to NZ though). Also, Manitou customer service is the best I've experienced. They are very responsive via email and very proactive. I was told that they were close to getting a service provider sorted in Aus but as yet, it hasn't happened.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Manitou don't currently have a service provider in Australia. The nearest authorised location is Shockcraft in NZ.

I have a Mattoc that is fantastic, had a warranty issue that was handled superbly by Manitou (I did have to send it to NZ though). Also, Manitou customer service is the best I've experienced. They are very responsive via email and very proactive. I was told that they were close to getting a service provider sorted in Aus but as yet, it hasn't happened.
Actually they do.

http://astroboyracer.com.au/astroboyracer-authorized-as-aust-manitou-service-centre/

moorey

call me Mia
If you find a good 15mm axle, don't write it off. Can get very cheap 15mm front wheels, and the bolt through axle is an excellent upgrade.
If Astro is indeed Manitou now, that's awesome. He's a top operator indeed.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
According to this discussion, the Manitou Marvel is an XC fork, whilst the Minute is tuned for trail/AM use. More information on the differences in internals here as well; it sounds like they are easy to adjust travel and tuning on as well.

Compared to your existing fork, either are going to be a big step up. Also, both Manitou's have 32mm stanchions, whereas the gold 30 TK has 30mm; the difference might be noticeable if you're a bigger rider? The Recon silver will be a lot heavier than the other three choices. Any reason you're looking at the poploc on the RS forks? You'll save some money going for a crown lockout instead (~$370 from CRC for the gold TK).

If I were faced with your four choices, I'd probably go with the Marvel Comp based on bang for buck. The Minute LTD also appears to have V-brake mounts (the pic on CRC does at least) which look a bit ugly if you're running disc brakes. Speaking of aesthetics, bear in mind that the cross brace between the lowers faces backward on the Manitou's compared to RS; it does look different but you might not care, and fitting a guard would make it less noticeable!

Boom King

Just talking with him. Apollo in Aus have been the service centre, but they have been sending them to him for the work.
I got nada out of Apollo when I contacted them. Manitou in the USA sent me to Shockcraft in NZ. That seems odd if Apollo were the service centre?

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
ok so I like the positive feedback of the Manitou's that I am getting!! I did like the minute until it was pointed out about vbrake mounts (seriously?!?!) so that's a no go for me.

What about these- they are a bit more but is it worth it? and it says on the other link that I could increase travel from 100-120 with a spacer-is that right?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/manitou-marvel-pro-forks-9mmqr-2016/rp-prod117115

Or RS Reba Rl solo air
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-reba-rl-solo-air-forks-9mmqr-2016/rp-prod136307

or go down to a lesser fork but 120mm travel
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/manitou-marvel-comp-forks-9mmqr-2016/rp-prod117113

Boom King

Both the Marvel Pro and Comp are adjustable from 80mm to 120mm, in 10mm increments using spacers.

cobba

Likes Dirt
What about these- they are a bit more but is it worth it? and it says on the other link that I could increase travel from 100-120 with a spacer-is that right?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/manitou-marvel-pro-forks-9mmqr-2016/rp-prod117115
Not necessarily, if it's a OEM model you might not be able to do that.
OEM Manitou forks are usually set to maximum travel, this was recently discussed in a thread on MTBR where someone bought a 100mm OEM Marvel Pro, they thought that they could increase the travel to 120mm, they opened the fork up and found that there were no travel spacers to remove and it was 100mm max travel.
A 100mm OEM fork can be reduced to 80mm but you probably won't be able to increase it to 120mm.
A 120mm OEM fork can be reduced to 100mm but maybe not to 80mm

The TS Air spring and ISO Air spring are very similar in design and performance.
The 120mm Marvel Comp could easily be reduced to 100mm if you wanted less travel.

I'd say both Marvel forks would be comparable to that Reba.

Both the Marvel Pro and Comp are adjustable from 80mm to 120mm, in 10mm increments using spacers.
It all depends if they are OEM forks or Aftermarket forks, CRC is known to sell OEM forks and some OEM Manitou's are set at maximum travel.

I've heard that the ISO air spring in aftermarket forks is adjustable from 80 to 120mm but from what I can see the TS Air spring can only be adjusted down by 20mm, forks with TS Air are set at maximum travel at the factory.
100mm TS Air can go down to 80mm but not up to 120mm
120mm TS Air can go down to 100mm but not down to 80mm

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
Im not wanting 120mm travel as a requirement but I wouldn't mind extra but if that comes at the expense of ride-ability or anything then no, and in all honesty changing it would prob be too hard for me and it would prob stay at what I bought it at.. just a nice to know!