New Garmins. 810 & 510

John U

MTB Precision
Excellent. Looking forward to the 800 coming down in price. My 305 is about rooted after about 5 years of fairly reliable service.

Oldas

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys

What's the difference between using say Strava app or MotionX app on my phone and the Garmin units? I assume the Garmins are more accurate or is there more to it?

Cheers

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
Garmin is lighter.
Batteries will last longer with gamin
iPhone is bulkier.
Strava only gives
you average speed. BPM , time length of ride & distance traveled.
Various things like heart rate are very hard to read while on the move , however it gives you cadence, Average HR. max HR. mac speed. Average speed once you upload it onto the website.

Wahoo on the other hand gives you all those details immediately when you want it, just like a Garmin. But Wahoo only lasts about 3 .5 hrs at best. It uses a shipload more batteries than Strava.

I figured whenever I ride I have a phone with me , so it negates the extra weight. Of the shatter proof case & so on.

But I keep getting tempted to get a Garmin .

I did a ride with the Strava App it will last over 5 hrs on the iPhone 4S
Wahoo App only lasts for 3 hrs most of the time with connections to HRM, cadence & speed sensors.

Stan's bus rant's since 2011. Now on 4S

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Hey Guys

What's the difference between using say Strava app or MotionX app on my phone and the Garmin units? I assume the Garmins are more accurate or is there more to it?

Cheers
The garmin has ANT+ which means it can me synced with a few different types of power meter, and it has a massive battery life of (I think) over 15 hours.
It also has virtual partner to race against, it is built tough and weatherproof (I guess phones can be protected too), it has heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, plus a whole bunch of bike profile options and training stuff like laps and workouts.

If you just want to log your kms, average speed, top speed data, and don't want to go on longish rides then a phone will do the same.

I'm not sure they are more accurate because they all use satellites so I assume they all log the same basic data. Might be wrong there.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
When I look at my mates rides that use phones, it seems that phones plot much less points than gps devices.
The phone plots frequently cut corners and elevation data seems a bit random too.
If your not a data whore then they're probably fine for your needs.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Trailmix just released pricing
Edge 810
$649 bundle
$499 head unit only

Edge 510
$399 bundle
$299 head unit only

Will be interested to hear more details on the live aspect, and wireless syncing. From what I've read so far, it requires some sort of Garmin account with a monthly fee as well. Hopefully other apps like strava can integrate through Bluetooth as well.

dowey42

Likes Dirt
That'd be right

Just after I got the 800 for Christmas, finally replacing a broken 705 and borrowed 500.
Not sure the 810 would be worth the higher $ but would've made the 800 cheaper...

akashra

Eats Squid
When I look at my mates rides that use phones, it seems that phones plot much less points than gps devices.
The phone plots frequently cut corners and elevation data seems a bit random too.
If your not a data whore then they're probably fine for your needs.
Yeah, resolution on most phones isn't great, but it's far worse on the 800/500 than it was on the 705. I don't know what Garmin did, but we find maps produced with a 500 to be practically unusable for the purpose of publishing race courses, unless you want to tell people to ride 10 meters off the trail. Altitude resolution is also around 2 meters at times, it's woeful. I really do want my 705 back :(

Will be interested to hear more details on the live aspect, and wireless syncing. From what I've read so far, it requires some sort of Garmin account with a monthly fee as well. Hopefully other apps like strava can integrate through Bluetooth as well.
Closed protocol, sadly.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Big budget vid. They must be expecting some solid sales.

[video=youtube;TI7RWxCBFBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7RWxCBFBU[/video]

Last edited:

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Wonder if the live tracking scenrios in the video above will become a Strava feature too? What is needed on your mates smartphones to receive live updates?

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Wonder if the live tracking scenrios in the video above will become a Strava feature too? What is needed on your mates smartphones to receive live updates?
You can do this with endomondo. Can always export your endo rides to strava later.
The best features of endo are live tracking and pep talk IMO.
It would be nice to see a super site which combines all these features!
Live tracking has significant safety advantages particularly if you ride alone alot.

Last edited:

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
Is the bundle interchangeable

Does any one know if the heart rate band and the mapping card from my 705 would go in the 810 .or would I have to get the bundle ???.also the same for the 500 to 510 .

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Can't comment on the 810 but I'm still using my HR strap from my 705 on my 800.
The new strap that came with my 800 is crap IMO. Bunches up and digs in.

I lost my 705 on the trail and upgraded to the 800.
I had the citynav maps purchased on CD.
Garmin wouldn't issue me with another key to install them on my 800 and the maps wouldn't work without one. I was properly pissed.
I don't think your SD loaded maps will transfer over from your 705 to an 810 without a new product key.

I've heard there are unlockers available on the net that will get you past the product key problem.
If you have basecamp installed on your computer it checks the registration and deletes the maps off the device (or so I've heard :heh: )
If you uninstall basecamp it won't do this apparently. You'll then need to revert to mapsource if you want to plot routes etc.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Yeah, resolution on most phones isn't great, but it's far worse on the 800/500 than it was on the 705. I don't know what Garmin did, but we find maps produced with a 500 to be practically unusable for the purpose of publishing race courses, unless you want to tell people to ride 10 meters off the trail. Altitude resolution is also around 2 meters at times, it's woeful. I really do want my 705 back :(
Have you turned on 1 second recording on your Garmin unit? By default I think they come set to "Smart".

Goto System->Data Recording->Recording Interval and set it to "1 sec".

This makes your Garmin GPS WAY more accurate, you might need to update to latest firmware for the option to be there. It's on my Edge 800, not sure about the 500's.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yes, that's using 1 sec recording.

Does any one know if the heart rate band and the mapping card from my 705 would go in the 810 .or would I have to get the bundle ???.also the same for the 500 to 510 .
Yes, they're all ANT+ devices.