NEW Giant DH Bike!

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cable Routing anyone?
Good if you have chairlift access to all of your trails but could be interesting if you hang it over a ute or trailer to get shuttled to the top.

coupla pics from a mate at crankworks:

the cable routing on the 00 looks shite. wont it get smashed by rocks etc flicking up??
Does your friend know anything about the markings on the top linkage, are the there for a purpose or just form?

cjm102

Likes Dirt
So my mate was blasting around Whistler for a couple of days on the new Giants, Giant invited alot of bike shops in Canada to test ride the new line up and his bos took him along (Lucky Basted!). As expected the Glory was fantastic, unfortunatly he didn't get a chance to ride the Faith... but he said that the stand-out bike was the new Reign SX which is a addition to the line up now but... only sold in Canada :(

I would love to get the new DH1 to upgrade my current DH1, I think they look like sex!

mudmav

Likes Dirt
the giant us site says 721's and dt swiss 340's, but in all the pics they are running sun equalizers

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is one sweet ride, but why did they take the E out of the name?
hmmmm took me a while to get that. i must be getting old and slow.
hehe, now that the penny has dropped.

mint looking bike though! i want one, but apparently it aint coming here.

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Dont know about anyone else but ive allready put my deposit down for a brand new 2010 glory 00, allready got a TI spring, tubeless kit and tubeless minions to go on it the day it arrives, then a sunline direct mount stem and some sunline v1 bars. This should in theory make my bike somewhere in the high 16 kilo bracket!!!!

SHOULD BE A WEAPON

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
Without reading the rest of the thread i'll add my two cents. Lined up with the rest of the minions today at the test ride tent...fark that's an experience worth documeting in itself but I digress.

I'm 6'3" and found myself on a new large glory with boxxer teams and a vivid 4.1 with a 450lb spring, I should note that I weigh in at a hefty 115kg plus change...

First of all i'll say that the bars were not wide enough which is kinda an issue for me but other than that it was set up ok. Also i'll note that my ride is an M3 - 1.75" more rear travel and with fox40 rc2's.

First impressions was - hmmm, not great but I can deal with it. For me getting on a new bike is a bit of a big deal, it takes me a fair while to get used to a new set up.

We hit blue velvet and then straight into In Deep in the torrential wet...fark! Being a punter and definitely not a regular bike tester i'll sum up my feelings like this -

-Damn I missed my extra 1.75 inches of travel off my M3. The spring didn't feel too heavy but i really felt it in my legs and felt that the travel was "shallow" - the M3 just feels bottomless compared to the giant. Very similar feeling with the forks...My 40's have saved my fat arse from SO MANY crashes...i've front wheel cased the big kenilworth gap and it wasn't until later that when my mates told me what happened that I realised that i'd done it - I love my forties. I didn't get that feeling from the boxxers AT ALL. Plus the turning circle of the boxxers seems to be a lot less. This is important as the slight turn bar is my only trick and it's FAR more impressive with the 40's vs the boxxers...

Where this bike won though was the handling - as a decent sized bloke the large didnt feel small and handled crisp as fark. Compared to my M3 is was tight as the proverbial, cornering like a dream. I did hit the bashie once but I think this will protect the relatively exposed down tube in most cases.

Overall I couldn't be bothered typing much more...the summary is that compared to what I tested the bike needs 40's and a new rear shock - conveniently this is an option with one of their better specs. It handled great and specc'ed out to what you are used to I think it would provide a great DH platform.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Without reading the rest of the thread i'll add my two cents. Lined up with the rest of the minions today at the test ride tent...fark that's an experience worth documeting in itself but I digress.

I'm 6'3" and found myself on a new large glory with boxxer teams and a vivid 4.1 with a 450lb spring, I should note that I weigh in at a hefty 115kg plus change...

First of all i'll say that the bars were not wide enough which is kinda an issue for me but other than that it was set up ok. Also i'll note that my ride is an M3 - 1.75" more rear travel and with fox40 rc2's.

First impressions was - hmmm, not great but I can deal with it. For me getting on a new bike is a bit of a big deal, it takes me a fair while to get used to a new set up.

We hit blue velvet and then straight into In Deep in the torrential wet...fark! Being a punter and definitely not a regular bike tester i'll sum up my feelings like this -

-Damn I missed my extra 1.75 inches of travel off my M3. The spring didn't feel too heavy but i really felt it in my legs and felt that the travel was "shallow" - the M3 just feels bottomless compared to the giant. Very similar feeling with the forks...My 40's have saved my fat arse from SO MANY crashes...i've front wheel cased the big kenilworth gap and it wasn't until later that when my mates told me what happened that I realised that i'd done it - I love my forties. I didn't get that feeling from the boxxers AT ALL. Plus the turning circle of the boxxers seems to be a lot less. This is important as the slight turn bar is my only trick and it's FAR more impressive with the 40's vs the boxxers...

Where this bike won though was the handling - as a decent sized bloke the large didnt feel small and handled crisp as fark. Compared to my M3 is was tight as the proverbial, cornering like a dream. I did hit the bashie once but I think this will protect the relatively exposed down tube in most cases.

Overall I couldn't be bothered typing much more...the summary is that compared to what I tested the bike needs 40's and a new rear shock - conveniently this is an option with one of their better specs. It handled great and specc'ed out to what you are used to I think it would provide a great DH platform.
Thanks for those 2 cents. Good to hear some riding feedback.
I guess, considering you'll probably be able to get into some form of Glory for around the price of the M6 frame alone, that's not too bad a review.
Properly tuned setup may well have make a big difference, and you've got probably 20-40kg on many riders out there, so the travel difference might not be so great for them in the end.
Nice to read a comparo. Thanks.

dl79

Likes Dirt

I take from this that the DH1 you rode needs a new shock and a set of 40's to make it a heap better. The glory DHO sound the goods as it comes with 40's and a Fox DHX RC4 so should ride quite differently to a DH 1. Would be interesting to hear from someone who has ridden both of the versions of the glory with the different rear shocks.

Josh222

Likes Dirt
When you think about it you can sort of see the idea of the 09 glory in this one. I mean... the curve on the seat tube but the 2010 is better because the suspension doesnt actually go down into the frame and it makes it easy to adust. But the 2010 frame is sort of similar to the 09 frame just not as thick (you have to look closely)

MacNamara22

Likes Dirt
man that dh1 looks so sexy

i am seriously looking at getting one if i get my school marks up (bloody parents) but on a serious note they are going to be flooding the dh race sceen in australia i recon...