NEW Giant DH Bike!

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
Also no iBeam on any of the Glory's this year.
What do you guys think of the weight difference between a iBeam and the seat setup that the current Glory's have?

nskz

Likes Dirt
Giant must have done some sort of deal with Fizik as almost all of their 09 bikes have them bar the Glorys. Maybe Fizik offered them a better deal instead of SDG/Selle italia so they now run them across their entire range.

As an 09 DH1 owner i'm a big fan of the ibeam.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Giant must have done some sort of deal with Fizik as almost all of their 09 bikes have them bar the Glorys. Maybe Fizik offered them a better deal instead of SDG/Selle italia so they now run them across their entire range.

I hate the iBeam. Had one on my Yakuza. What's the weight difference between an iBeam set up and a Sunline V1 saddle and thompson seat post cut down, bugger all?

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've seen a fairfew ibeams few break.

that said, they are light. i run one now, its fine, but i dont trust it heaps. rails bend before they break, ibeams dont.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I hate the iBeam. Had one on my Yakuza. What's the weight difference between an iBeam set up and a Sunline V1 saddle and thompson seat post cut down, bugger all?
Thompson elite ~228g
Sunline V1 ~ 207g

SDG I Beam post ~220g
SDG I-Fly 145g or Bel Air SL 185g

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Comments like that make me realise how few people know how these things work.
Yes, Giant has done a deal with every single component supplier you see on their bikes.
Production runs are measured in the tens-of-thousands, possibly hundreds-of-thousands on some models.
That gives you buying power to negotiate wholesale discounts - say 100,000 seatposts at a few bucks less per piece.
Run that equation over a whole bike's components and you see where the savings, and thus profits, come into it.
Even better is so-called 'in house' brands (in this case, the Giant branded components other than the frame).
They may or may not be made by Giant, but they are definitely cheaper to produce (regardless of quality, which may even be better than 3rd party, well-known brands) and so the profit margin creeps up again.
This is why you see spec change during model years, let alone each model year.
They're always looking to make a buck, so they'll spec one product over another (assuming equal or similar function) if it makes them more money.
Sometimes, to add to the mix, they might not be able to even get supply of a product (due to lots of factors, one famous one a few years back being Shimano couldn't manufacture enough components as the Chinese were buying up their metal suppliers products at a price they couldn't afford!).
That probably has less to do with i-Beam/SDG not being on the bike than the product manager got international feedback saying customers preferred a traditional railed saddle, though!

Last edited:

nskz

Likes Dirt
Comments like that make me realise how few people know how these things work.
Yes, Giant has done a deal with every single component supplier you see on their bikes.
Production runs are measured in the tens-of-thousands, possibly hundreds-of-thousands on some models.
That gives you buying power to negotiate wholesale discounts - say 100,000 seatposts at a few bucks less per piece.
Run that equation over a whole bike's components and you see where the savings, and thus profits, come into it.
Even better is so-called 'in house' brands (in this case, the Giant branded components other than the frame).
They may or may not be made by Giant, but they are definitely cheaper to produce (regardless of quality, which may even be better than 3rd party, well-known brands) and so the profit margin creeps up again.
This is why you see spec change during model years, let alone each model year.
They're always looking to make a buck, so they'll spec one product over another (assuming equal or similar function) if it makes them more money.
Sometimes, to add to the mix, they might not be able to even get supply of a product (due to lots of factors, one famous one a few years back being Shimano couldn't manufacture enough components as the Chinese were buying up their metal suppliers products at a price they couldn't afford!).
That probably has less to do with i-Beam/SDG not being on the bike than the product manager got international feedback saying customers preferred a traditional railed saddle, though!
What exactly in your entire comment differs from what I said? I implied that Fizik obviously offered/Giant sought a better deal than SDG did, hence why they seemingly have the contract to supply Giant seats for almost their entire range judging by my last visit to my LBS. Last time I checked SDG don't only make I-beam saddles either.

Like you suggest there probably is a lot more to it, but lets face it neither you (probably) or I are in the position to be able to make definitive statements on the situation, yeah?

cjm102

Likes Dirt
I just found out that Giant are holding demo at Silver Star mountain this weekend, I have been living and working here all year and about to come home on sunday. I'm so stoked that I'm going to be able to ride one of these suckers before I leave!

Chris

Tomshak

Likes Dirt
I just found out that Giant are holding demo at Silver Star mountain this weekend, I have been living and working here all year and about to come home on sunday. I'm so stoked that I'm going to be able to ride one of these suckers before I leave!
Oh you are one lucky bastard....
*jealousy jealousy jealousy*

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I-beam seatpost and saddle combo is like $130 from CRC, lighter, cheaper and still very strong.

sedition.

Likes Bikes
The colour scheme on the dh0 is very catchy but I don't dig the general look of it. It looks a little too much like other bikes, thus a little generic. However I might change my tune if I saw it in the flesh.
It's a real shame we don't get the Reign SX brought down under, super nice.