New Hayes Prototype rotors - spy shots.

Bikenerd

cunning linguist
Check it out - local boy ripper James Hall was recently spotted testing the possible 2006 release Hayes prototype 'gold' rotors. The yet to be named innovation is rumoured to take advantage of the unique abrasive and heat dissipating properties of gold! Insiders have claimed the rotor will offer 30-40% more braking power than conventional stainless steel rotors, whilst utilising existing conventional pads!

Keep 'em peeled for these babies on some more pro's bikes at the upcoming World Champs.

spuddy

Likes Dirt
Bikenerd said:
... is rumoured to take advantage of the unique abrasive and heat dissipating properties of gold!
What, it's really soft? I'm not even sure it dissipates heat that well.... although it does transfer it.

plangly

Likes Bikes
have u eva seen a car race in the night time? when metal heats up what colour dose it go. these i dont believe are new rotors, when disc brakes warm up they can go goldy, this is under heavy breaking though. in the picture the front is the only brake to have this effect mabey he was only holding the one break on, also the disc in the photo is rather blurry around the edges, sugesting heat over anthing else and hence that would back up the claims agaisnt the rotors, anyway just sum ideas, 4 sure it would be sic to have a gold one though, but farkin expencive

cheers adam

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
plangly said:
have u eva seen a car race in the night time? when metal heats up what colour dose it go. these i dont believe are new rotors, when disc brakes warm up they can go goldy, this is under heavy breaking though. in the picture the front is the only brake to have this effect mabey he was only holding the one break on, also the disc in the photo is rather blurry around the edges, sugesting heat over anthing else and hence that would back up the claims agaisnt the rotors, anyway just sum ideas, 4 sure it would be sic to have a gold one though, but farkin expencive

cheers adam
thank you captain obvious

naz

Criminally Inane
ever seen formula one man, they glow red, talk about a handy lighter, several hundred degrees celius yum.

finny_447

Likes Dirt
if you know science then you know (well most) that gold is the best conducter of electricity and Heat and also not to metion gold is very heavy so i highly doubt that

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
naz said:
ever seen formula one man, they glow red, talk about a handy lighter, several hundred degrees celius yum.
F1 brakes rotors are made of either carbon fibre or ceramic materials. They work at about 600 degrees celsius, lower than that temperature they feel worse than a 1978 Toyota Corona with glazed pads.

However, carbon fibre rotors would be slick on a bike...

Just wouldn't be able to get 'em warm enough to bite properly :)

naz

Criminally Inane
finny_447 said:
if you know science then you know (well most) that gold is the best conducter of electricity and Heat and also not to metion gold is very heavy so i highly doubt that
hahah u are joking right, u make a pure gold rotor, it would bend before you got your wheel back in your forks, its fucken soft
(thats if your talking about running pure gold). ye gold may have good conduction properties, i think it has shite expansion properties (correct me) and at what 300$ us a ounce (28.6grams) you would be extremely short of cash. but hey it would be wanky

mtb_man said:
naz said:
F1 brakes rotors are made of either carbon fibre or ceramic materials. They work at about 600 degrees celsius, lower than that temperature they feel worse than a 1978 Toyota Corona with glazed pads.

not to mention the cost. i knew that i was just stating there more noticable than night car races a couple of posts above :)

and when are we gonna c ABS systems on MTB's :p

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
If F1 cars can do without ABS then mtb's shouldn't have a problem.

And your right about the expansion properties of gold being pretty bad.

That's women take off their gold rings when they're washing up my dishes, otherwise they expand in the hot water and fall off and bitch that the ring fell down the damn plug hole... :roll:

riderigid

Likes Dirt
mtb_man said:
naz said:

tha way that the carbon fibre discs work in F1 is that when they heat up, the tightly layered carbon actually strips off the rotor and gets sucked up by the vacuum thing that you can see just behind the axle. (not the airbos, there is a small black vacuum device if you look close enough. the theory behind this is that the carbon only builds up heat in one layer and when they lose that layer they are back at their optimal braking temperature. (whic IS farkin hot but not as hot as the 1200 or so degrees the outside layer gets when braking)

daver said:
that ain't cool. Mid DH run heat or something?
yeah, mid run nighttime DH with no helmet on what is obviously not a well lit trail run. good one

scblack

Leucocholic
riderigid wrote
tha way that the carbon fibre discs work in F1 is that when they heat up, the tightly layered carbon actually strips off the rotor and gets sucked up by the vacuum thing that you can see just behind the axle. (not the airbos, there is a small black vacuum device if you look close enough. the theory behind this is that the carbon only builds up heat in one layer and when they lose that layer they are back at their optimal braking temperature.
Where did you come up with that one?

Formula One discs are a ceramic composite material (a mix of ceramics & carbon), not built in layers. Carbon fibre on bodywork/chassis may be laid in layers, but not solid(except ventilation) brake rotors. The reason they are not on road cars is, as mtb_man says, they need very high temperatures before they work effectively.

And what vacuum are you talking about? why then do we see brake dust whoosh all over the place when tyres are changed?

Where did you get these ideas from? :? Sorry mate but you are just not right about this 8)