new hydro line

lrumb1

Likes Dirt
hi

i came home from a ride the other day and noticed my front break line had a ding in it, didn't think much of it at the time but i came back the next day and theres a masive balloon in the line and there fluid pissn all over my mums mat. she wasn't impressed. anyway i was wondering how much a new line would cost? i don't want to spend over $30 because there only hayes sole (worst brakes ever). if its going to cost me more than that what good brakes can you get for 80-100.

cheers.

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
Yep, a new line will cost you more than $30, especially if you include bleeding at your LBS. Have a look around the for sale section here, you may pick up a juicy 5 or HFX9 for that money in decent nick. You won't get anything new for that price...

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
You could pick up a whole Hayes sole set up - caliper line and lever, ready to go - for around 60 bucks second hand. I think the Soles, like the nines and mags require a replacement compression bushing when you replace the line. So up goes the price of replacing the line another few bucks. That makes $10-20 (minimum) for the line, $10 for the extra fitting bits, and $20 for labour if you're lucky. Trawl the 'for sale' section is my advice.

lrumb1

Likes Dirt
thought it would be an expensive repair.:rolleyes: how powerfull are the juicy 5's, i've heard good reports but only from sellers. how do they stack up against the hayes 9's

jasnos

Likes Dirt
I have ridden with both hayes 9's and juicy 5's.
Personaly i like the feel of the juicys alot better and find them to be smother

lrumb1

Likes Dirt
I have ridden with both hayes 9's and juicy 5's.
Personaly i like the feel of the juicys alot better and find them to be smother
hayes - 0
Juicy'5 - 1

how do they rate power wise? then again anythings got to be better than sole's

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
You'll be happy with with the Juicy 5s, or Hayes nines or mags. All will be more than ample for a bike that came standard with soles. The nines would be the second hand value option. Good luck with it:).