New in Ballarat

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

Basically brand new to the sport, Live in Ballarat victoria. Decided on Saturday that i wanted to get into mountain biking for fun and fitness. Had a fairly modest budget so started looking for a second hand hard tail, quickled bumped up the budget a bit and picked myself up a Giant Alias on monday. Love the bike already, cant wait to start hitting some tracks and developing some skills.

Look forward to getting some advice on where to start riding around Western Vic

Mitch

moorey

call me Mia
Hi guys

Basically brand new to the sport, Live in Ballarat victoria. Decided on Saturday that i wanted to get into mountain biking for fun and fitness. Had a fairly modest budget so started looking for a second hand hard tail, quickled bumped up the budget a bit and picked myself up a Giant Alias on monday. Love the bike already, cant wait to start hitting some tracks and developing some skills.

Look forward to getting some advice on where to start riding around Western Vic

Mitch
Options galore for social rides.
1. 8am start in buninyong for a leisurely 20-30km trail ride (split off half way)
2. 5.30am thursday mt clear trail ride for 20-30km
3. Club dirt crits on Tuesday at mt clear sc. kids ride first, novice/c grade start about 6.30.
Gimme a call on 0408820237 to hook up for a ride. I'm in buninyong, it's a trail riders paradise.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Options galore for social rides.
1. 8am start in buninyong for a leisurely 20-30km trail ride (split off half way)
2. 5.30am thursday mt clear trail ride for 20-30km
3. Club dirt crits on Tuesday at mt clear sc. kids ride first, novice/c grade start about 6.30.
Gimme a call on 0408820237 to hook up for a ride. I'm in buninyong, it's a trail riders paradise.
The crits are Good fun once you get over the 20 to 25 minutes of pain and a good way to meet some more local mtbers plus see Moorey give the b graders a lesson.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, what they said but give the crits a miss, it's for roadie scum in lycra.
Or, to put it another way, for social riders who likes bit of heathy competition whe still wearing dickies shorts and a tshirt.
Eat a dick, stop, lame wad, and have a bash

stoo

Likes Dirt
Welcome Mitch, unless you're the Mitch from Smell-a-rat that I know, he's a bit of a townie......

stoo

Likes Dirt
Townie as in Shiny-arse. 'Seeya on Sunday in Buninyong if you're interested cobber, it's a bonza way to start the day.....

Firstly, welcome Mitch. If you're ever up for doing some downhill riding in town, hit me up.

Sorry if this kinda derails the thread, but I love the sound of this crits dealio. It sounds like a bunch of fun. I may just have to try and piece together an xc bike so I can have a go. Unless anyone has something they wouldn't mind letting go for peanuts... Even a K-Mart ride would be sufficient.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Firstly, welcome Mitch. If you're ever up for doing some downhill riding in town, hit me up.

Sorry if this kinda derails the thread, but I love the sound of this crits dealio. It sounds like a bunch of fun. I may just have to try and piece together an xc bike so I can have a go. Unless anyone has something they wouldn't mind letting go for peanuts... Even a K-Mart ride would be sufficient.
To further derail, you can borrow my trail bike if you're able to ride a small.
Im not into racing, but its fun going head to head with the guys you muck around with socially on the trails....and very satisfying beating the odd Lycra bandit on a 10kg, carbon 29" ht:love:

To further derail, you can borrow my trail bike if you're able to ride a small.
Im not into racing, but its fun going head to head with the guys you muck around with socially on the trails....and very satisfying beating the odd Lycra bandit on a 10kg, carbon 29" ht:love:
Yeah, I'd be horrible at being competative, I'd just be in it for fun. But if you're willing to let me borrow your bike, any reason for me not to show up would just be a horrible excuse. Would get me off my arse and out of the house, anyway.

mitch_302

Likes Dirt

Sounds good.
Crits do sound alright but I'm not real competitive at the best of times so might be a bit early for me to be sharing a track with serious competitors. Want to get some off road k's on the bike at my own pace first I reckon

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, I'd be horrible at being competative, I'd just be in it for fun. But if you're willing to let me borrow your bike, any reason for me not to show up would just be a horrible excuse. Would get me off my arse and out of the house, anyway.
Too easy. Catch you there one evening. I'm always there, and my 7yo son and 4yo daughter race early (5.45pm), but I have to miss out occasionally if the wife is working. A/B grade doesn't start until closer to 6.45-7pm, and thats getting too late for my kids on a school night. Youre welcome to borrow a bike, and if I have to head off, someone will drop my bike back to me.

Mitch, you dont have to worry about the competition in novice/C grade. Its a pretty big loop so you won't get caught/passed, and the C grade leave 30 seconds earlier, so you can just make your own pace, or duke it out with other novices. Youll be surprised how well you'll do I reckon, and quickly move up into C and beyond.

Sunday morning ride is a blast. Mix of noobs and lycra boys. A faster group often breaks away, then the remainders ride about 5km together before branching of. One ride is longer and tougher, but both are great, and you'll have no problems on the shorter one until you build up some fitness. I hadn't touched a bike in 6 years, and was as unfit as fuck, but jumped straight into the longer ride. Struggled initially, but after a couple, you'll shit it in. When i have time, I do a double loop, which ends up more like 70km.
If youre interested, 8am meet point on the corner of Simpson and Lal Lal streets in Buninyong. If you struggle first time after the first bit and want to pike, its just a short roll down the highway to the start point.