new(ish) DH bike...wadda ya rekon bout that Millyard thing? Re: Dirt 69

tnankie

Likes Dirt
OK just got the latest Dirt and it features a big write up on a privater hand built new bike. Made by a chap called Allen Millyard, apparently has quite a special shock coupled with a fully sealed drive chain, a skinny light rear end and all built at about 40Lb ... not going to type out article cause well I'm lazy and its probably copyrighted anyhow.

I am particularly interested in the shock, any guesses how it works? It is supposed to use high pressure nitrogen as the spring and dampner and massively out perform any other unit available.

I imagine its somehow self regulating bit like the double barrel design...I might see if i can tap into the patent stuff at work and see if I can find the actual patent then start digesting it...

heh...69 :)

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
I spoke to Stephen Millyard himself at the worlds. My personal conclusion: crock. The Dirt guys seem to crap on about it but honestly they suck the cocks of whoever they interview at any given time, they will never ever conclude anything with a "nah we really don't think he knows what he's on about" even though now and then it's rediculously obvious that they're full of shit.

Going from the shit they told me (blah blah "the shock has an exponential curve" which is what any ported damper has) I couldn't put any trust in what they say. Maybe they genuinely have created something revolutionary, but on the skepticometer, I'm still reading about an 8.

Edit: btw, any patent stuff you can dig up would be much appreciated. Even if it is indeed a total crock, it's still interesting!

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
High pressure full N2 damped and sprung shocks have been in offroad racing and monster trucks for a while, though I can't really see much of an advantage.

Also, even with all this fandangary the thing still weighs quite a bit more than a well spec'd 224 and I notice those things don't seem to go very slow;)

BMW have a full air damped shock on their HP2. From all accounts, it's certainly no revolution. I notice they still use a good old fashion Ohlins shock on there enduro effort.

Last edited:

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Harsh call S. ... but true on about 90% of occassions. The guys name is Allen too, so I am not sure who the Stephen is that you talked to - maybe his son as he looks like an older guy in the video.

There is no rocket science going on here - Allen is however a pretty cool guy who builds some awesone Motorbikes (his v12 Kawasaki was a flaming beast) - but then as we all now know from looking inside the Honda gearbox, this also was not really 'rocket science' and look how much smoke we have all blown up that bike's rear end.

I say give the guy props for looking at things from a slightly different angle and until you have actually ridden the bike, reserve judgement.

red_dog

Likes Dirt
Keeping in mind issue 66 only came out in Aus recently - not too many of us know what you are describing

S.

ex offender
Harsh call S. ... but true on about 90% of occassions. The guys name is Allen too, so I am not sure who the Stephen is that you talked to - maybe his son as he looks like an older guy in the video.

There is no rocket science going on here - Allen is however a pretty cool guy who builds some awesone Motorbikes (his v12 Kawasaki was a flaming beast) - but then as we all now know from looking inside the Honda gearbox, this also was not really 'rocket science' and look how much smoke we have all blown up that bike's rear end.

I say give the guy props for looking at things from a slightly different angle and until you have actually ridden the bike, reserve judgement.
Stephen is Allen's brother I think. As far as I know, the shock was designed and built by some other guy anyway, so maybe the guy I spoke to wasn't really capable of explaining it very well, but he kept going on about it being "self adjusting" and things like that and all I could think was wank wank wank. But yes like you say, definitely worth keeping an open mind.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I threw up in my pants. Not really,just wanted to say that.
Great looking bike astheticaly,accept for the single sided swingarm. Wish the pivot was high like it looks,but it in effect pivots around the BB. Still,10/10 for trying.

red_dog

Likes Dirt
Its exceptional is what it is. Pure genius
Its all hand crafted right down to the air shock.

People will forget about this rig, then in 10 years when frames like it are mass produced noodles that say it looks ugly now, will all want one

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Not me ever. I think the Lahar is far superior.
Still some great ideas and innovation.
Having the gearbox that is heavier than a normal drivetrain,on the swingarm(unsprung weight)is not genius. Nor is a BB mounted pivot,especially when the drive output is high,so there's no bennefit needed from BB pivot. Trellis frame is pretty but I don't think nessaccery.
The super shock appears bent in the first pic,worn bushes?

Last edited: