New member. old rides....

skinnyboy73

Likes Bikes
G'day fellas!

Love this site, found it whilst searching for bits for my new project. More of an old bike fiend but with a neo twist!

My current steed of choice is my restored 1996 Proflex, which I am battering around Lysty and Yarra bend most weekends.

I am about to restore this '98 MC Shockwave 8 which brought me to this site. This will be going into paint this week to get it looking trick, probably matt tungsten grey frame, blue anodised drop outs and shock link and gloss MC decals. I'll be scouring the ads in here for the bits to rebuild it, I have a budget of about 2 grand for this beast so get ya bargains out!

other than that i have a few bikes including a sweet as a nut old GT Outpost that is practically brand new and perfect for the pub ride, and old Mongoose Sycamore SX for lending out to mates when we go the pub en masse.

And my little darling '76 Bickerton I restored so I can use the train to get to work or to pick the car up after a hard night rocking..

Hope you like them!

Science

Likes Dirt
I have a set of those 24 spoke StarsCircles wheels, on my boyfriends Giant they look like 24" XD
A Friend of mine had one of these GT's the whole way through school. we all used to ogle it because he was the only one with a brand name bike, until i bought a norco to show him up.
I actually think the GT was still a nicer bike than my Norco...

Last edited:

skinnyboy73

Likes Bikes
You know i got these wheels just to get me by and have something to roll on but they have been great and the only problem i had was a couple of weeks ago i got a loose spoke. They get battered and what more could you ask for in a wheel! I'll eventually replace them when they die but for now my dodgy Crossmax decals i put on them can stay :)

The GT is such a nice bike to ride as well, its got an almost "riding your first good bike feeling" about it. It snicks through the gears like its running the latest Di2 but its lowly but bulletproof Alivio from BITD. I don't think I could ever sell it.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I like the bickerton the best ... is that a 2x4 ... and the chain ring is awesome.

Does it fold down ... or do you just take it on board the train as is.

welcome BTW.

skinnyboy73

Likes Bikes
I like the bickerton the best ... is that a 2x4 ... and the chain ring is awesome.

Does it fold down ... or do you just take it on board the train as is.

welcome BTW.
Yep its a folder, it takes about a minute to fold it down, the handle bars swing in and do a 90deg drop and the frame folds in half. Pretty compact, it fits between my legs when i fold it down so pretty train friendly. The set up is 1x3 hub gear Sturmey oldskool with a Shimano Nexus twist grip, The chain ring is a 57t SR Sakai job. For such a light bike (8kgs) it flies although you do have to adopt a certain finesse when riding it as it is a bit "whippy" Well ahead of their time since this bike is from 1976 with just my restoring and new parts not detracting from its lightweight and ingenious construction (not one single weld on the bike, all ally construction bolted together)

I do love it though, its super practical, where i work in Toorak i can get the train from Oakleigh and get off at South Yarra and be in work quicker than i can drive in.

Last edited: