New Oppy A4

G'day,

I am new to road riding and got a new Malvern Star Oppy A4 last week, been for a couple of rides and very impressed and happy.

Can anyone recommend a pedal,cleat, shoe combo for a very new rider?

Thanks in advance.

v101

Likes Bikes
Thankyou both for your replies,

I think I probably look at something in the Shimano range, as for the weight, it's not like I am trying to be a world beater.

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
Yeh I should have put in a disclaimer that I know nothing about the product. I'm in the same boat though and was looking at it this morning, looks like the $89 deal is sold out now.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Jump on Chain Reaction cycles and have a look. Look Keo pedals at a good price and heaps of shoes to choose from. Delivery is very prompt, and the Aussie dollar is really strong at the moment.

castillo

Likes Dirt
Something like the look keo/shimano/wellgo variants are pretty good. Easy to find when you're putting your feet in, and if you don't like yours, the cleats are compatible so you can try other people's bikes with either of the variants. I won some wellgo's off ebay and so far they are going well (despite one instance of popping out at the start of a sprint). Nice float and they don't feel all banana-peely like crank bros do.

raven

Squid
nice bike...

having just finished my first road ride on my new oppy a4 i was very happy with the ride.
CRC has some good shoes and pedals ...look at the shimano 105 pedals with R132 shoe!:D

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Thankyou both for your replies,

I think I probably look at something in the Shimano range, as for the weight, it's not like I am trying to be a world beater.
Hey, nice wheels man. I like the oppys. He's my alltime hero.
Anyway, getting off track...
The shimano stuff is great.
I just grabbed a pair of shimano M086 shoes (really comfy) and some Shimano M540 pedals and I just love them.
Great for a beginner, but you will never out grow them.
Nice solid 'ca-cluck' as you lock in and simple to disengage. No scary moments disengageing EVER.

Don't get the M520's, they are aluminium and not stell and will wear a lot faster. Not worth saving that little bit for the cheaper ones IMO.

each to his own though, what works for me may be terrible for someone else so try a few shoes out at the bike store and see what feels good. But the Shimano pedals just rock.

Last edited:

driftmonkey

Likes Bikes
great little bike to ride. have had one for about 4months.
i have just been useing xt pedals with my speshshoes as i cant afford acompleate new shoe.
works fine and the feet dont hurt as i wastold they would. also meansyou can walk into the pub after with out any strange looks.