New Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 2 or Iphone 4?

mtb1611

Seymour
Thanks for your responses thus far peeps, I really appreciate your input...at this stage, given my familiarity with the Galaxy OS I'm probably leaning towards the S2, but could definitely hang out a little longer for the S3. However I still have a month to run before I change over and, fickle beast that I can be, I will refrain from saying that my mind is made up!

nskz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your responses thus far peeps, I really appreciate your input...at this stage, given my familiarity with the Galaxy OS I'm probably leaning towards the S2, but could definitely hang out a little longer for the S3. However I still have a month to run before I change over and, fickle beast that I can be, I will refrain from saying that my mind is made up!
Seriously dude check out the HTC oneX before you lock in an S2...they are pretty cheap ~$650 (not that dissimilar to an S2) where the S3 will be at least $800, they have the same spec (bar LTE 1800 support, questionably necessary anyway) and it's a later generation phone than the S2, you'd be mad not to check it out.

mtb1611

Seymour
Seriously dude check out the HTC oneX before you lock in an S2...they are pretty cheap ~$650 (not that dissimilar to an S2) where the S3 will be at least $800, they have the same spec (bar LTE 1800 support, questionably necessary anyway) and it's a later generation phone than the S2, you'd be mad not to check it out.
I am definitely mad, but that has nothing to do with my choice of communication device.... ;)

downhillar

Likes Dirt
You can use your iphone as an external hdd........ now it does take an ap to do but geeeez that must be so damn hard for you to hate on it for that!
Well if you had to chose the phone that would instantly work as an external hdd or one that needed a certain app, which would you pick?

which phone you should buy, samsung and htc knows they arnt matching apple, why do you think they bring a new phone out every other month?
Actually the Galaxy S2 came out about 5(?) months earlier than the iPhone 4S, and the S2 was still superior in terms of hardware even though Apple had an extra 5 months to beef their phone up a little.

To be honest you're the one who's biased, and most of your argument was nonsense.

Beej1

For anyone waiting for an S3, or in fact anyone wanting to purchase a phone outright (rather than post paid contract with a telco), then MobiCity is the place (or URL) to go to. They get stock in from OS before it goes on sale here, and give it full warranty as well. I've used them for my last 2 phones (an Atrix and my wife's S2) and a tablet (Xoom ... wish I'd waited for galaxy tab though). They deliver fast, are super helpful, and well priced, except for their Apple stock which is, unsurprisingly, on par with Apple.

I'm finding the Apple v Android discussion here interesting though. Mostly because I thought there'd be more Apple evangelists than there are. Yeah there are more Android phones out there but most Android owners I know just get on with using their phone rather than swooning over it and telling everyone how great it is, unprovoked. We'll have to go through it again later in the year when the 5 comes out.

To throw another fighter in the ring, I'm hearing good things about Windows Phone 8. But thats a way off.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if you had to chose the phone that would instantly work as an external hdd or one that needed a certain app, which would you pick?

Actually the Galaxy S2 came out about 5(?) months earlier than the iPhone 4S, and the S2 was still superior in terms of hardware even though Apple had an extra 5 months to beef their phone up a little.

To be honest you're the one who's biased, and most of your argument was nonsense.
I never said the hardware is better in the iphone, but every andriod phone ive used has been laggy and unresponsive compared to the iphones, the hardware might be better but the os is alot of resource hungry. I dont use my iphone as a external hdd because if i wanted an external hdd i would buy one, just like how i bought an mp3 player instead of loading up my iphone full of music.

Stella i wasnt taking a swipe at you for bitching about apple because i can read i did know you owned apple products, most of the people i personally know with samsungs or similar say "oh you bought an apple" when i take my phone out. Just love the fact people consider anyone you suggests an apple product as an apple fanboy, yet anyone who suggests andriod is normal yet will bitch till the end about how andriods are better purely for things that really dont make using the phone better or worse.

Telling how great it is unprovoked? really? how do you think you get on the subject of phones, i dont go around saying to everyone i meat 'MY IPHONE IS FANTASTIC" he asked for an opinion i gave it.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm on Android, have a Defy+ because I thought for my budget it was a much better buy than a 3rd gen model IPhone for even more $$. My Husband has used both an IPhone4 and now has a Defy+ (Iphone was a work phone), he's pretty happy with it, reckons it's as simple to use as Apple (for someone who certainly isn't into apps and much else apart from a few calls / emails / web browsing).

Anyhow reading the above post it's quite funny, I was thinking that one reason I would be tempted to go for an IPhone is because I use ITunes and it would be handy having to carry only a phone rather than an ipod as well. I don't know why you'd buy an iphone and then get a separate mp3 player, kind of defeats the purpose....oh yeah I suppose IPhones have limited storage capacity?

That's the only thing I find a pita withe the Defy+ (and probably most android phones), bit of a pain to find and sync all the new podcasts out of itunes onto it, doable but just more painful compared to hooking up the old ipod to the laptop and off we go. I mainly tend to listen to podcasts at work rather than music.

Something else to consider is that there seems to be more accessories for iphones, like speaker dock things, clock radios, cables to hook it up to your car stereo etc.

I still don't know that I'd like to have an IPhone rather than Android though, happy with what I've got for now at least....lol see what happens when the 5 comes out.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Pebble,
the app doubletwist is an itunes clone and will sync all your itunes music and podcasts.

If you really find itunes usefull (?) then this is a good app to have for android phones and its free.

Or you could just drag and drop the podcast onto your phone.:p

faz

Likes Dirt
iPhone 4 or 4s: tiny 3.5in 'retina' screen.

Galaxy S2: much better 4.3 or 4.5in AMOLED screen.

After using an S2 for a week, I look at friends iPhones and can't believe how uselessly tiny the screen is.
I had this discussion on the weekend with my wife who incidentally got the Galaxy SII 4G. There was a time when mobile phone were the size of bricks, we then managed to get them down to size of a business card but now we are up-sizing again - go figure!

She was going to get an iPhone, but at the rates she drops her phone it would have been toast in about 3 weeks. Her previous Galaxy Ace has weathered the storm superbly.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I suppose you're the one who prefers windows because you get more hardware spec for the money?

Broaden your view.

You get more than hardware when you buy apple. You pay more, sure, but you get pretty much seamless integration and operation. It's like the difference between having a V8 in a 2 ton car and having a 4 cylinder in a tuned race machine.

I own an S2 and love it. I also have a couple of macs, and a W7 PC. They're all fantastic. The S2 is great. If I had the budget, I would probably have bought a 4S. Is a 4S a better phone than an S2, undoubtedly. IS it overpriced, definitely. Will it suit everyone, no. But judging an Apple product on the hardware spec indicates you lack the knowledge to draw an adequate comparison between Apple products and non-Apple.

My POV. If you have the budget, it is very hard to regret an apple purchase. The 4S has a decent camera for a phone too. If you want customisability and a cheaper phone but can put up with occasional freezes, android is a good option.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
She was going to get an iPhone, but at the rates she drops her phone it would have been toast in about 3 weeks. Her previous Galaxy Ace has weathered the storm superbly.
i've dropped my iPhone probably 10 times in the last year, four hard cases have died but the phone lives on. i have a 4 that i loaded the 4S software into, and considering i'm a Luddite that was a bit of a stretch...

custom cases are available thru Cafepress :tickled_pink:

iTunes may be a bit fiddly to use but with a bit of patience even i can work it out, transfer lectures, make my own ringtones etc. lots of apps for things i use, such as bus timetables, virtual post office, banking, Ebay, Etsy, WADA, Teamer, Endomondo, yada yada.....as for games and movies of the adult kind, well, i have no interest in either so that's no problem ;)

the ex had a HTC, twice actually, and apart from them falling apart, constantly freezing, no battery life, software issues (he was employed in IT) and the pants-pocket humidity voiding the warranty, there weren't any problems....according to him.

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I have the motorola RAZR which is equivelant. Rate it highly! Advertised as the "tough" smart phone - I figured that was a good thing for riding.

The Motorola Xoom Tablet looks like a winner too. If I ever go the tablet path it will be with motorola.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
I suppose you're the one who prefers windows because you get more hardware spec for the money?

Broaden your view.

You get more than hardware when you buy apple. You pay more, sure, but you get pretty much seamless integration and operation
What's with your derogatory attitude? Can't you handle that not everyone see's things the same as you?

I prefer windows because that's what I've always used, it's affordable, all of my programs work on it, and anyone can fix it when it goes wrong.

You get more than hardware when you buy apple - What do you get exactly?? To be a little apple on the big apple tree family? Awwww feels good I bet!!

Like I said earlier, iPhones offer a simple solution to a smartphone. If you want a straight forward phone that does what you want it to do then get an iPhone, but if you are a bit of a nerd and want something a bit more in depth that gives you a bit more freedom then get a galaxy.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pebble,
the app doubletwist is an itunes clone and will sync all your itunes music and podcasts.

If you really find itunes usefull (?) then this is a good app to have for android phones and its free.

Or you could just drag and drop the podcast onto your phone.:p
The best wrokaround I found to date was to find and put new podcasts into a playlist, the motorola has some sync thing (motocast I guess) that I can do by hooking up to the laptop (no bluetooth on the lappy ).
Also tried some streaming app but it didn't seem to have the latest episodes to one of the podcasts I like (Skeptics Guide to the Universe)

I guess the most convenient thing about the ipod is the fact that it will mark and unmark the ones you have listened to (in ITunes), so I don't have to think about which ones I should put on there and which ones I've heard. So it still remains the quickest and easiest option (it's an old phat nano).

Will check out doubletwist though, so thanks. I haven't mad a big effort to find a better solution, but if my old ipod happen to die a sudden death I don't reckon I'd be keen to go out and buy another one ...instead of say some bike parts for a road bike I want to build up :)

LJohn

Likes Dirt
What's with your derogatory attitude? Can't you handle that not everyone see's things the same as you?

I prefer windows because that's what I've always used, it's affordable, all of my programs work on it, and anyone can fix it when it goes wrong.

You get more than hardware when you buy apple - What do you get exactly?? To be a little apple on the big apple tree family? Awwww feels good I bet!!

Like I said earlier, iPhones offer a simple solution to a smartphone. If you want a straight forward phone that does what you want it to do then get an iPhone, but if you are a bit of a nerd and want something a bit more in depth that gives you a bit more freedom then get a galaxy.
Apologies. Only meant to be a bit of a dick. It does seem like you've skimmed much of what I've said so I'll elaborate.

I bought apple because it rarely goes wrong, offers the better hardware-software integration than any other consumer based product, runs the programs I need it to (Logic Pro.), doesn't age as badly as other OSes, doesn't crash, etc. etc.

It's reliable. It's clean. It's easy. It's efficient. I use my macs as production tools. I have a W7 PC for games and CAD software. It's great too. But I don't download anything onto it, I install hardly any programs and the disc is kept bare minimum. I know it would slow down and require attention and time if I used it frequently. Windows seems to bog down quickly. Mac doesn't.

Same with phones. iPhones are ubiquitous and reliable enough that they seem to be leading the business preferred phone at the moment. Blackberry was dethroned. I really think you underestimate the power and efficiency of apple's OS efforts. Also, I've only ever had Android phones, and an Android tab, and Android really isn't that amazing. Sure it's customisable, but in terms of functionality and app availability, iPhones have Android beaten. I still like Android.

I stand by what I said. If you have the budget, the 4S will bring you less annoyances and more satisfaction than an android phone. Apparently the screens are made of some kind of sugar glass though and break if you stare hard enough so a good case is essential. Same with the S2. The back panel on mine feels flimsy and cheap. I didn't even want to use it until it was in a case.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I'm actually leaning towards a Nokia Lumia 800. I had a play with Windows 7.5 on a friends Samsung, and it was amazingly beautiful and intuitive- really user friendly for a Windows based phone.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LJohn, I had an iMac for 3 yrears and after that period of time found that it seemed to be slowing down just like a windows computer generally does. That little coloured spinning wheel was popping up a lot more often etc.
I'd still probably agree that the slow down on windows is more noticeable, perhaps antivirus software is partially to blame though.

When I went back to the old windows laptop (after selling the Mac) boy was I in graphics shock though, felt like I was using a dinausaur just because of the more basic looking interface(?).....XP just didn't look as smooth bright and pretty as the mac lol.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I've had a MBP for three years now and it's still running exactly the same. It's taken a fair hammering too. But I use it as a uni laptop, music production tool and performance tool. There's only music, uni documents and a few apps on the thing so I suppose I've kept it clean. My tower is a beast. So I suppose it's how you use them.

One of my friends has a Windows phone. He tells me the UI is brilliant and the things that were built into it are fantastic. He also says that despite what Microsoft say, the app environment is terrible and functionality is hampered by comparatively nobody touching Windows app development since Android and iOs are substantially more popular. Give it a while before you jump to a W7 phone. It may take off. For the moment though, it just hasn't got the user base.

Beej1

I bought apple because it rarely goes wrong, offers the better hardware-software integration than any other consumer based product ... doesn't age as badly as other OSes, doesn't crash, etc. etc.
I'm sorry but these sound like the typical standard throw-away lines touted by Apple about why one should make the switch to their products. Unfortunately they're not wholly accurate.

It's reliable. It's clean. It's easy. It's efficient.
Once again ... standard Apple marketing using non-quantifiable units of measure.

I know it would slow down and require attention and time if I used it frequently. Windows seems to bog down quickly. Mac doesn't.
Key phrase here is 'seems to'. I won't even go into the why's about why this can't be used as an accurate comparison. But ... FWIW, you are indeed far less likely to suffer glitches and 'bog down' as a result of dodgy hardware, 3rd party software or viruses on a Mac than you are on a Windows machine.

With regard to the latter two of those I'll add a big 'for now' to the end.

Same with phones. iPhones are ubiquitous and reliable enough that they seem to be leading the business preferred phone at the moment. Blackberry was dethroned. I really think you underestimate the power and efficiency of apple's OS efforts. Also, I've only ever had Android phones, and an Android tab, and Android really isn't that amazing. Sure it's customisable, but in terms of functionality and app availability, iPhones have Android beaten. I still like Android.
The stuff in red is spot-on.

If you have the budget, the 4S will bring you less annoyances and more satisfaction than an android phone. Apparently the screens are made of some kind of sugar glass though and break if you stare hard enough so a good case is essential. Same with the S2. The back panel on mine feels flimsy and cheap. I didn't even want to use it until it was in a case.
But the stuff in red here is bollocks. You can't possibly ensure nor guarantee that to be true.

As for the rest, personally I take all "This phone breaks easily" anecdotal shite as just that - anecdotal shite. I've yet to read any sort of believable statistical analysis that indicates one phone is 'tougher' than another unless one of them is specifically designed to be shockproof - get one of these if you expect to be rough with your phone and want it to survive. Either that or get one of those 'Otter' cases that turn your slim, sexy smartphone into a brick.

Bottom line regarding OSes and phones: listen to a well informed person telling you what they can and can't do as opposed to someone telling you which is better*. Then, make the informed choice for yourself and try it out. If you don't like your choice, and you can't modify whatever you choose to your liking, then get something else.

* I will lump myself into the latter category, since I earlier suggested the S2 for it's bigger and 'better' screen. In hindsight, I will say that bigger is not always better for everyone, when it comes to screen size.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Just to comment on the galaxy's size - it's wider and taller than the iPhone but it's a lot more slimline and lightweight. I like this because I hardly notice that it's in my pocket, but some people see that as a negative (not noticing that it's fallen out of your pocket).