NEW product from GripSport.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
The Giant Glory definitely seems to be the DH bike of the moment, but have you felt the weight of their rear axle?

Damn things are steel and weigh in at a hefty 200g +

We have a new rear axle to suit the Glory DHO and DH1... '06/'07/'08 models.

Handmade from 6061T6 Aluminium, these lightweight beauties weigh in at only 92g and that includes the weight of a steel "nyloc" (self locking) nut and solid, zinc plated washer to go under it (washer not shown in photo). If you felt inclined you could source an alloy or Ti nut and save yourself another 12g.

Cost $68 each (plus postage)

So if you want to lighten up that rear axle your only other choices are either an $80 (plus postage) axle from Orange or the Rock Shox Maxle (that still weighs 110g) at around $120.

PLEASE NOTE -
This is a straight-through 12mm axle to suit a 150 X 12 rear end. We haven't even tried yet to check out all the bikes it may fit, but I'm happy to hear from owners who would like to try one of these in their bikes.

If your bike runs a 150 x 12 axle that looks like the photo then our new lightweight axle will probably fit. If you buy one and it doesn't all you have to do is return it (in the same brand new condition it was in when you received it) for a refund.

Only available direct from us...

GripSport
1581 Main Road,
RESEARCH. Vic. 3095.
Ph (03) 9437 1954
www.gripsport.com.au
mail@gripsport.com.au

PS. Have you seen our new bike carrier yet?
Click on this link for pictures, info and price.
http://www.gripsport.com.au/main.php?part=products&prodID=58

Last edited:

Sam.

Eats Squid
IIRC the faiths have the exact same rear swing arm, so my bet would be that yes, they do fit on a faith.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Glory is a 150x12 right???

My M3 is a 150x12 so am I right in assuming it will fit the M3. The M3s axel has a nut on both sides.

Grip

Sorry guys, I should have been clearer and have now edited my original post to include the following.

This is a straight-through 12mm axle to suit a 150 X 12 rear end. I haven't even tried yet to check out all the bikes it may fit, but I'm happy to hear from owners who would like to try one of these in their bikes.

If your bike runs a 150 x 12 axle that looks like the photo in the first post then our new lightweight axle will probably fit. If you buy one and it doesn't all you have to do is return it (in the same brand new condition it was in when you received it) for a refund.

Last edited:

dhdave199

Likes Dirt
[$@M];1370635 said:
IIRC the faiths have the exact same rear swing arm, so my bet would be that yes, they do fit on a faith.
No, they arn't the same.
The drop outs on Glory's are different as the axle cant slide in from the bottom, it has to be pushed in from the side.

Mojo

Likes Dirt
just out of interest how does the shear and bending stress relate from the original axel to your new one? was it designed with the same sort properties as the original, just doing eng at uni and would love to relate to how all this math mumbo jumbo relates to the wonderful bike world

Last edited:

Grip

[$@M];1370635 said:
No, they arn't the same.
The drop outs on Glory's are different as the axle cant slide in from the bottom, it has to be pushed in from the side.
[$@M];1372923 said:
Ahk no worries. My bet is that it would still fit a faith.
I'm with $@M on this one. Doesn't really matter how the axle gets into the dropouts so long as it's a "through" axle (just slides straight through the hub)

just out of interest how does the shear and bending stress relate from the original axel to your new one? was it designed with the same sort properties as the original, just doing eng at uni and would love to relate to how all this math mumbo jumbo relates to the wonderful bike world
Definitely not the same properties as an original because they are steel and ours are 6061T6 aluminium. And to be absolutely honest... something that is going to sell in such very low quantities as these tend to get made from a basis of "experience" rather than maths. The bottom line is we've made the axles as light as my experience with alloys and bikes will allow. And of course the axle is pretty well supported within the hub so bending hopefully wont be an issue. If it proves to be then I guess refunds are in order and THEN I'll look at the forces and moments etc.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, they arn't the same.
so does the faith, one side has a hole and the other is a qr style one

Mojo

Likes Dirt
Definitely not the same properties as an original because they are steel and ours are 6061T6 aluminium. And to be absolutely honest... something that is going to sell in such very low quantities as these tend to get made from a basis of "experience" rather than maths. The bottom line is we've made the axles as light as my experience with alloys and bikes will allow. And of course the axle is pretty well supported within the hub so bending hopefully wont be an issue. If it proves to be then I guess refunds are in order and THEN I'll look at the forces and moments etc.
well its good to see i got you thinking about it anyways. haha :p
i'll have to run around and find more inspiration where maths comes in
that way i will have at least something to make study a lil more interesting

Grip

First batch of 25 of these sold out late today (Thurs). We'll schedule another production run ASAP, but in the mean time BSC Greensborough will have stock of these as of Friday 9th May.