New racing..... Mountain ride

Glenn

Likes Dirt
With the improvment in peddeling dh rigs and bikes like stinkys, vps shors, hate the term but..."free ride" bikes i would like to see the introduction of racing that is a combination of Downhill, x country, jumps. i have been thinking of it for a while. it would be a track that snakes a mountain and would take like 30 min to compleat it would consist of long steep and tec downhills but no so steep up hills but steep enough to test your strenght, jumps sections and it would be raced with like 8 people at a time. and at 10 min intervals. a bike such as stinky would be the ideal bike but trail style bikes would have just as much chance in the race as a full blown downhill bike.
just a thought...

just think about a mass start race with a mixtuer of bikes all with advantages & disadvantages over others in different situations. 3 meter droup into a steep trany to short tec hill climb. sigle track to fire road.

interested to here your thoughts has it already been done? and i know it sounds like x country but it wouldnt be as steep climbs and the downhill/ drops would be alot more bigger/ steeper....

"Mountain Ride" is it possible...

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do like the sound of that....
I ride a Giant AC and I have raced a couple of downhill races with it but do struggle a bit without the triple crowns and lacking a couple of inches in the rear sus.
I think that it sounds great the fact that it also gives races the opportunity to pick and choose their personal strengths in the 30min or so race. Some would hammer through the drops and downhill while others will pull back in the jumps and climbs... it really would be something different and I would definately be part of it.

Great Suggestion!!!

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that would be sick, an All Moutain all condition kinda race. Advantages and Disadvantades for all bikes. I'd like to race in that.

Glenn

Likes Dirt
Just think of how many people go to a downhill race and how many go to cross country races now combind that add spectaters located in different section like people that want to see downhill and those who want to see hill climbs...

looseunit

Likes Dirt
They have had races like that before big one every year is in France part of Avalanche series and is a mass start race. The race goes for over an hour for over an winners. Most people ride on long travel freeride bikes because there are up hill sections.

This is a great idea for a race, but the race would have to be Beauty or Thredbo because we lack the elevation for a track like that.

Glenn

Likes Dirt
yes i can see your point. even if it is like 1 min steep dh sections followed by legthened out not so steep nearly flat/flat single track, fire roads down hills with sort up hill climbs even if the track takes 10min to race you could make it a 3 lap race...

Ryan

Radministrator
Yep, theres a couple of these races around the world every year and they look like awesome fun. Theres the Maxxis and Megavalanche races in France, like looseunit said, which are mass start, super long and unsurprisingly, dominated by Nico Vouilloz. Then theres Mt 7 Pyschosis in Canada and one in the U.S. that I can't remember the name of which are single rider races, just massive long runs with some uphill sections apparently.
Some ski area/mtb parks are apparently toying with the ideas of 24 hour DH races with the same sort of format as a 24 hour XC. Do a run, jump on the chairlift, do another and keep going for 24 hours, rider with the most runs at the end of the 24 hours wins. Sounds like heaven but I bet it's hell on the body.

Glenn

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the related races names ill check them out. unlike the races you mentioned there will be a bit more focuse on up hill and jumps rather then the main dominance being downhill with some up hills. Mass start downhill races would be so fun... but when you have a guy/girl on a giant team dh against a guy/girl on a intense m1 through the downhill section it gets interesting to see who will make it to the top of the hill first or will it be the rider on the ellsworth truth that held it together through the steep ass down hill section and blasts past both of them! :D

so many riders would be clapsing over the line after pushing hard through the whole race on a 50lbs dh rig. and then you would have races running over the line with there broken hardtails! :D :twisted:

Cruz

Likes Dirt
New Zealand have some as well, but already problems are starting to appear when you have up to 100 plus riders taking off down the mountain any way they can. Well, you can imagine the damage to soil and plants in such a thrash fest unfortunately. Some of the French races have 1000 starters at the same time.

dave

Likes Bikes
If you have a lot of uphill and jumps, people will race a HT, as it will kill everyone in the uphill and if ridden correctly is not a great deal slower in the downhill. Example - if you are 20 seconds behind in a DH race you are way behind in performance, whereas in an XC climb you can lose a number of minutes (and that is with everyone on a HT). So imagine how much slower climbing a FR dually would be.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
Where are these 24 hour dh races. They would be sooooo coool. You could brag to your mates, "man i did 200 dh runs one day" haha

Glenn

Likes Dirt
True the hard tail thing would be an issue but how tiered are your arms when you have done a three min downhill run on a rocky track with a downhill bike now think of doing it on a hard tail... plus the race goes for like 30min+ but still it might be possable for any bike to win thats the whats so good about it no bike restrictions! every bike has there good points on the track...

Glenn

Likes Dirt
looks like after 1 day of sugesting this style of track it will be built! :D the owner of the Queensland mountain bike park Shane J will help build it! www.mountainbikepark.com this topic is there as well go to general descusion under mountain bike park forum if your interested. the park already has like 3 short downhill runs that are like 1min 20 seconds long with two more longer ones being built that are like 4min long. there is dirt jumps "north shore" style tracks and a huge linkage of x country tracks to be built you can also camp there... there is over 220 acres to play in and it has only been started like 4 months ago and already heaps has been built... check out the web site if you havent already. cant wait to start building this track! :D

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds wicked to me, I'd be right in for that race, as long as there is not too much uphill in it, but some north shore stuff wouldn't go astray!

Glenn

Likes Dirt
yeah i was thinking of that. how would you suggest to use it cause i was thinking if they were racing 8 at a time it might get a bit dicy up on a bridge i was thinky like using it for drop take off ramps.... but i think for further stages in the race when the pack is sorted it might be good....

bazza

look at me
omg

24 hours of dh racing? is that just asking for death. thats tooo long and think about how many people would be going up down up down. if you had a big enough track for overtaking it would be prety cool. but bloody hell thats a lot. oh yeah i think it was the hannahs that did something like 57 runs in one day up in cairns.