New rubber needed.

grovesy

Likes Dirt
I'm up for some new tyres for my stinky as the original Tiogas are starting to show their age.I primarily ride loose pea gravel,rocks and hardpack fire trails.
Resistance to pinch flats and durability would be cool.
Can you guys give me some suggestions as to what would your personal choice would be?

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Doms for your bike. Wrong type of 'ride' there Naz!
White Tigers are grippy as but heavy. Check out Maxxis Minions, Highrollers, IRC Trailbears, Kujo's, Michelin Wild Grippers, Hutchinson Octopus etc...
You doing more trail riding or dhill usage stinky5? what size are you looking at? 2.25" 2.5" 2.7"....

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Mostly heavy trail riding,with some local dh stuff(not race)no wider than 2.5's and the weight means bugger all to me as long as they can handle the rough stuff.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
stinky5 isnt racing, so id perhaps lean away from the Intense tyres...
I recommend the Maxxis Minion 2.5's, really good value, great all round tyre, and don't weigh heaps.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
maxxis mobsters are going for 30 bucks at a certain place...
ive got a 2.3 tioga DH, i used to have the 2.1 version as well and the 2.3's (more like 2.6) are a massive step up from the 2.1s and are only $40

S.

ex offender
Minion 2.35s in normal compound (or Slow Reezaay compound if you can stand the faster wear).

smooth

Likes Dirt
the raptors wernt to bad, not heaps of grip but enough to get you by. im running an intense on the rear and a minion up front and thats the way it will stay. go the minion on the front for sure probly one of the best front tyres iv eva had.

dont know wat the rear min is like though.

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
CHEWY said:
maxxis mobsters are going for 30 bucks at a certain place...
Mine just arrived the other day and I've gotta say it's a pretty 'phantastic' price. However you can only get Super Tacky 2.7's so it's not exactly the best everyday tire.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Kujos are great in terms of wear; they don't grip too badly either, and I'm still to pinch mine.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are looking for a new set front and back I'd get:

Front: 2.5" Maxxis High Roller in the Super Tacky 50a

Rear: 2.35 Maxxis High Roller in the Standard 60a

(Those numbers with the a's are the durometer measuements ie how hard or soft they are, there is also Slow Reezay 40a which are as grippy as hell, so I run them on my trials bike, but they wear reeeeeealy quick)

Someone mentioned the Hutchison Octopuses, I'd stear away from them. I got a pair on my AC2 and they pinch remarkably easier than a Maxxis.
As for the Motoraptor, I'd don't really think they're that great, maybe for heavy XC but not for serious trail riding, the grip just isn't aggressive enough.

I hope this long winded response is some help[/b]

S.

ex offender
wombat said:
Kujos are great in terms of wear; they don't grip too badly either, and I'm still to pinch mine.
IMO they grip very poorly compared to most tyres. But they ARE indestructible...

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a Motorapter on the front I picked up from my LBS for $35. It's been on there for about 6 Months now and I rode it for street everyday, because I couldn't be stuffed walking up hills and it only recently started to go bald. If you run them at a low pressure they are great because they are so rounded.

bazza

look at me
what about the michy red tyres the wildgrippers i think they are called? whatever they are? and what are there durometer rating? sticky tyres are annoying. too expensive!!! i just run standard maxxis minnons, 2.7 front 2.5 back and works a charm for dh, would hate it for xc though! my recommendation would be buy a full on dh bike and buy an xc bike and you will be apples!

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Ok right or wrong I bought the moto raptors.
Fitted yesterday rode them for around 20k or so.
Mmmm not as grippy as the old tioga's but all in all not to bad.They definately roll a whole lot better,but cornering is not so good.
Hopefully they'll last a bit longer...

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
stinky5, i know you've bought the tyres but i can recommend the maxxis high rollers for the pea gravel we have to live with over here. They are good grippers as well as being available in a bunch of types and sizes.