New Saddle

SummitFever

Eats Squid
WTB Laser V is a real comfy saddle for me - but everyone's arse is different. Having said that, plenty of people like the comfort of the Laser V. I too had used the SDB Bel Airs for a long while, but the Laser V with Ti rails was lighter (about 228g) and much more comfortable. The Laser V has a good chunk of padding under the sit bones. I'm currently using a WTB Silverado which is quite comfy but not as good as the Laser V. It's a bit lighter.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Same. I had a gobi XM and ditched it because of the same problem.
Try one of these. They are 143mm wide so a bit better if you have wide sit bones.

Well priced on crc too.

selle italia sl xc flow

T-Rex

Template denier
You could try the scientific method, which is to measure your sit bone width, and compare it to various saddle widths.

Get a large tray of damp sand, cover it with glad wrap or similar, and sit in it. Then put a marble in each of the indentations. Measure the distance between the two marbles, there's your sit bone width.

Credit to (I think) Cypher for this idea, it's not a T-Rex original

darrenjm1

Likes Bikes
I've got both the Gobi and Selle Italia sl xc saddle's and find they are both really good. I use only xc shorts with no padding with the Gobi, have worn padded shorts and I get a really sore arse. Not sure if anyone else has had issues with the Gobi snaping across the middle of the hard plastic under the seat but i've gone through two saddles where this has happened and I only weigh 77kg??

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
It has alot to do with getting the right size saddle for your 'sit bones'. One of our LBS measures you up for the right width saddle according to the size of your sit bones, they use a purpose made gel pad pretty much does as T-Rex suggests. According to them I'm running a saddle 15mm too narrow for my arse. Keep meaning to get a new saddle, especially after a long ride and ending up with a sore numb arse. Could be worth investigating with you LBS

Last edited:

dmwill

Likes Dirt
So basically, if the distance between my sit bones is X cm, I should be looking for a saddle X cm wide?

Yeti-Brenno

Likes Dirt
mate i run a fizik tundra on my downhill bike and its really comfortable to sit on and quite thin at the same time , theres a write up of this saddle in the latest issue of AMB :)

Nautonier

Eats Squid
mate i run a fizik tundra on my downhill bike and its really comfortable to sit on and quite thin at the same time , theres a write up of this saddle in the latest issue of AMB :)
I have a tundra on my DH bike as well and liked it so much that I put one on my XC bike and road bike as well. Most comfortable seat I've ever owned.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a Selle Italia SLR Flow for my xc bike after sitting on my gf's Selle Ladies Flow seat and thinking "shit this thing is comfy - if it didnt look llke a chicks seat id get one for my bike". haha

So bought the SLR Flow and seriously never looked back. Comfort from the word go and never once had a sore bum even on all day rides, lightweight and good looking. I wouldnt go back to anything else now.