New Seatposts?

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of getting a new seatpost with more offset for my 03 Stinky to give me a bit more room in the cockpit. I'm currently just running the stock one.

I'm considering a Titec Hell-bent post ( http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=31 ), but I'm a bit worried about not being able to get the seat down low enough for steep/jumpy/droppy stuff. Does anyone use one of these or just have some opinions on 'em? I noticed they don't make 'em in 30mm either, so what'd be the go with using a spacer or something? Would that be kosher?

Any suggestions about other options would be much appreciated too.

Ty

Eats Squid
thomson elite, you'll never have to think about your seat post again. (it'd be a crime to cut one down though)

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
its 'knock rated', so if you do brake it you can have it replaced no questions asked.

i assume you have already pushed the seat all thye way back on the rails....

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you decide to use a spacer/shim, consider getting one machined that is twice as long as the ones you can buy in a shop. know a guy who ploughed in and damaged the seat tube from using a shim. it was a pretty solid crash tho, and he probably would have done the damage anyway, but it's always made me a little wary since.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Good idea, Lup. I've gotta admit, I'm a bit wary of the spacer idea too, but it seems like 30mm posts are a pretty rare thing :?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
like i said, he probably would have trashed it anyway, but it creased right where the spacer finished,so i gotta wonder.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Ritchey make a nice post with offset at a good price in 30.0mm, or you could always go Thomson or RaceFace. RaceFace are going to bring their Diabolus post into the country in 30.0 shortly. It'll be worth the wait as i have the 27.2 version on my play bike. They are heavy, but I don't think you'll mind being on a Stinky.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my norco shore also has a 30.0 seatpost diameter, and i found it hard to find a good seatpostin that diameter - i ended up getting a IRD quadzilla DH - sweet post and hella strong and adjustable