New Sony Digital Video Camera

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I recently was given a Sony Digital Video camera, model DCR-HC153. It has a tape to store the footage on instead of a USB disk thing.
Ive filmed some random stuff and want to put it onto my computer and have read every book that came with it.
When i plug the usb cable in it brings up the "Picture Package" program that was on the cd along with the drivers.
These are the options i get when the the program is opened.

As you can see there is no option to copy the recorded video onto my computer.
Windows XP doesn't make a new device so i can't acsess the camera from my computer.
:? How am i meant to get the footage onto my computer people! :?

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the programmes that the sony's come with are utter crap.
You will need some sort of video editing program (even windows movie maker that comes with xp) to capture your footage.
I'm not familiar with your model of camera but odds are you will need a firewire cable to put it on the computer. The usb cable only does stills.
I think sony call their firewire connection "i-link" or something. Go to any camera store or the sony store and get yourself a firewire cable, they are about 30 bucks.

Dude what you need to do is follow the instructions to install the drivers. If you've done this open up windows movie maker (if you don't have it download it). Get ride of the program you're usuing because it sucks. Windows movie maker is pretty cool and easy to use (though I use vegas 5.0) anyway, once you have movie maker, go into file, go to capture and follow the instructions. Basically you'll be bale to play the stuff off your camera and record it straight onto your computer.

You may have another program like Arcsoft Showbiz, same deal, just find capture and that will solve your issues.

Simo, thats provided he has a firewire card man, if he does then it's the go. I-link is awesome until you buy the wrong cable and it fries your camera's firewire port

Fritta

Likes Dirt
just tried that eddie. it only recorded audio.
ive got a firewire card and i think buying an i link cable would be the go.
all i want to do is take one big mpeg file off the camera and edit it in premiere.
thanx for the help.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
no ilink cable, get firewire, its way better. ive got a sony cam and use primeire for capturing, and all works flawless. (after a while of setting up) so, my recommendation is the firewire and premeire pro. best combo.

dick

Likes Dirt
Fritta said:
all i want to do is take one big mpeg file off the camera and edit it in premiere.
when you capture in premier, your only option is to capture in avi i think.
also you have to capture in realtime, its not as simple as dragging a movie file onto your computer. not saying you didnt know that though. :)

dick

Likes Dirt
Fritta said:
anybody know where i can grab an ilink cable?
any computer shop.
just make sure you know what type you need cause there are two different ends. 6pin and 4pin.

DYJK

Likes Bikes and Dirt
never seen that software before... but u can get adobe premiere 6.5 and PRO of kazaa and it works sooo well...easy to. :) with the i link cable i think u also need a board aswell...