New Structures at Oxford Falls

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
steel and wood structure - dumb place

I can't really think of a quicker way to pointlessly escalate conflict than building a steel and wood structure on land where mountain biking is still fighting for access.

IDIOTIC.

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
or by non locals commenting on a public forum, about non legal trails that they may ride once a blue moon...good one fellas :rolleyes:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Meh.

At least everything's built properly now. Really like the big transfer on the right side track... that IS cool.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Oxy

Firstly, if you dont build then piss off and keep your selfish opinions to yourself.

The problem is when people rip down or damage stuff, it becomes danagerous. I think that for some people that regardly ride at Oxy trail destruction of structures have resulted in close calls. As a result more and more people have been getting interested in the trail maintanence side of things...This has then resulted in more building and building with greater safety margins.

Regarding the new stuff, i think that it is great!!! As far as i am concerned the builders are heros!! keep it up. I am really looking forward to seeing some more and better new lines.

I also think that it is pretty funny that some people think that ripping down one structure/jump will not result in 2 going up in there place.

Last edited:

F1234K

Likes Dirt
I don't understand threads like this: if you are intimidated by a stunt, don't do it, but leave it be. Don't go breaking down someone elses hard work for the silly reasons I have seen talked about on this thread.

I see a lot of talk about this sort of building (large stunts with severe consequences) being stupid because we are fighting for land access etc. etc. What a load of bull! We are riding and building without permission on land none of us are allowed on (and we have agreed as a group we are not going to ask for permission). We all do this knowingly. Even the people destroying the stunts are doing so illegally. They aren't allowed on that land either. This is a personal battle between a whole lot of different people wanting to use a small piece of land for 20 different things and not wanting to share it with anyone else.

The ONLY people not part of this battle are the people who actually own the land. Now isn't that funny. They don't care because all they want is to kick everyone off and build some houses they can sell.

If you have an issue about it not being legal then stop complaining about the building and STOP riding there as well since that is illegal too.

The new stunts are well built as far as strenght goes. MUCH better than some of the old stunts from 2 years ago that were built from branches and twigs! Personally I don't think the steel looks very pretty, but I will ride it none the less because it is fun.

Please note that steel would most likely never have made it onto the track if other people hadn't broken down the track illegally, but since someone has to keep up the good fight it just makes sense that they need to make it harder for vandals to break it.

Plow King

Little bit.
I saw this stuff the other day when I was there. I don't see what everyone is so worried about. There was stuff where that new stuff was originally it just got torn down. However the last jump is f**king intense, you would have to hit it decievingly slow. Otherwise you're going to land 20 odd foot to flat and get messed up.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Keeping my opinions to myself

Luckily for me, I don't live near Oxford Falls and will not want to ride there in the future. I reckon these actions will make it harder for other people in Sydney to get access to ride, and best of luck to those people. So I only have a remote interest and will let leave you all in peace to 'sort' it out.

The way things are going it looks like it will be a good case study for the future. Hopefully, the mountain biking community will learn something when the dust has settled.

BTW - I have helped with trail advocacy in the past and also do the odd working bee (not enough though).

Finally, I reckon Crofty was on the mark when he wrote about Vancouver's experience. At some point, the sport needs to grow out of the shadows.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
This is a personal battle between a whole lot of different people wanting to use a small piece of land for 20 different things and not wanting to share it with anyone else.
But its part of a bigger battle for access everywhere and I think it's naive of you to think that you can fight this particular battle in isolation in the way you are and think that its not going to have wider repercussions.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
some points

I would like to add some facts regarding your posts:

1. there are two new gap-jumps build (from steel and wood)
2. they look serious and well designed and build
3. both of them are AWAY from main “DH” lines
4. wood and steel are pretty environmentally friendly comparing empty plastic bottles you are leaving around Oxford falls area (many of you)
5. there are plenty of other lines with small jumps (for kids and less skilled riders)
6. for those who is complaining about size of the stunts: Did you ever been in Whistler or some European bike parks? (I’m from Europe and rode some of them) usualy stunts over there are 2times bigger at least.
7. building jumps from dirt (in forest) is less environmentally friendly than building wooden platforms (have a look around and you will find so many big holes in the ground remaining after building dirt jumps)
8. conflicts between riders and walkers (horse riders) is not about stunts but and always was (and I wrote here couple of times): swearing shouting, not slowing down if you see walker or horse rider, loud music from cars, pissing around, burning wheels, speeding, rubish …
9. Do jump (I mean jump over jump) required skills and do big jump required more skills that is simple maths. Talking what is dangerous what is not its laughable. What’s about “Vegemite” or “Big Floater”?

And last thing - I just remember what I was witnessed:
We were waiting down on parking area for shuttle and there was father with his kids (10yo or so boys on bikes) they came to us and they said: “Thanks for building those stunts” (It was probably irresponsible father of two boys :) )

F1234K

Likes Dirt
But its part of a bigger battle for access everywhere and I think it's naive of you to think that you can fight this particular battle in isolation in the way you are and think that its not going to have wider repercussions.
That is not what I am saying at all.

I know there are repercussions, but so is there for riding illegally and everyone seems to be ok with that. It is the building illegally that seems to have people up in arms. And more to the point it is the building of 'larger' scale structures that has people upset. No one is complaining about the 20 'little' jumps all over the place that are just as illegal as the 2 big ones that were built recently.

It seems more like certain riders see these larger jumps, crap their pants, and decide to go on a rant and blaming everyone else for not having legal trails in Sydney.

The simple fact of the matter is that it is NOT building illegal trails that is preventing us from getting legal trails, it is the fact that everyone is too bloody lazy to do something to get legal trails (certain people excluded of course since there are a couple of individuals doing a great job at trying to get legal trails access).

How many people on this particular thread that have bitched about what is happening at oxford have actually done ANYTHING constructive to get a legal trail going?

stickso

Likes Dirt
I've only been to Oxy once so I'm speaking as a total outsider but here's the way I see it. If you were renting a property and the agent got complaints that you were tearing the place up every weekend, what do you think would happen when you try to move somewhere new?

I appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining the trails but at some point Oxy will close and we'll be left with nothing but our reputation - are we a responsible group or did we trash it? If we want a legal venue we have to be seen as a group worthy to receive such a place. Whether it is being trashed or not doesn't matter - it all comes down to perception.

Hopefully getting the residents involved will help. Butting heads with residents/council/NPWS always comes down to a winner and a loser and we are most likely to be the loser if we keep playing that game.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Yes, I've seen it done. twice!

I think that it's big enough to keep the beginers off!

And the drop before it is to die for, awsome fun, double thumbs up!!!!!
yeah it is great!! love it.. I can just imagine the guys that started this thread are pissed because they see what they think is a big jump and dont have the balls or skill to hit it up. Then they get these other guys commenting saying that it is bad because they dont even live in the area or know anything about it.

So what i am wondering is what is big & what is small????? The BMX track at homebush at the end of the first straight has a 11m double/triple and Kurrajong has a 16m double....So what is the deal with the jumps at Oxy. They are way smaller than this, so not that advanced really are they?

XC doesnt have much airtime..maybe that is where they should stay until they figure out what it means to jump... and stay away from making comments about a style of riding that they dont know much about.

Finally,

People seem to be making allot of comments about cutting down trees. I agree that you should not cut down trees. The best way to avoid bulldozers is to build amoungst trees and not remove the trees. If you remove trees then it may make it easier to remove the jumps by providing access.

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I know there are repercussions, but so is there for riding illegally and everyone seems to be ok with that. It is the building illegally that seems to have people up in arms. And more to the point it is the building of 'larger' scale structures that has people upset. No one is complaining about the 20 'little' jumps all over the place that are just as illegal as the 2 big ones that were built recently.
Yeah I can agree with some of what you are saying.

I think the thing that got some people up in arms and made me personally think that the new structure isn't a great thing is the timing of it being put there. It seems to me that there has been some good stuff done recently after the rider meeting and letter to residents that has the potential to get some of the locals a bit more onside and less likely to complain/take action about whats happening there. Putting a dirty big unnatural stunt up right now can be seen as quite a confrontational move and one that could undermine a bit of the good work done by the letter drops and meetings. I guess what I (and hopefully most other detractors were saying) is that it would have been nice to keep things a little bit low key on the building front for a bit to see if we can get a better relationship with the locals going so that they might start to tolerate stuff a bit more.

Sure it seems that Oxford has a limited lifespan for riding but it would be a real shame if access was blocked or curtailed any earlier than it needs to be.
One day it seems that it will be covered in houses and we can't ride there but is would be a massive shame if the land doesn't get dozed for houses for another 10-15 years but riders don't get to use it 'cause we pissed off the owners/locals and get forced out of the area and miss the chance to use it for that time.

So I hope you guys can see that when people like me (the ultimate in long distance non buildingthere critics) comment on whats happening. Its not a personal attack on the builders, or jealousy that we can't ride something at all but a desire to see that riders can continue to ride that area for as long as possible and have a good chance of finding other areas afterwards too.

everyone is too bloody lazy to do something to get legal trails
No arguments here.

Jeff193

Likes Bikes
I think the thing that got some people up in arms and made me personally think that the new structure isn't a great thing is the timing of it being put there. It seems to me that there has been some good stuff done recently after the rider meeting and letter to residents that has the potential to get some of the locals a bit more onside and less likely to complain/take action about whats happening there. Putting a dirty big unnatural stunt up right now can be seen as quite a confrontational move and one that could undermine a bit of the good work done by the letter drops and meetings. I guess what I (and hopefully most other detractors were saying) is that it would have been nice to keep things a little bit low key on the building front for a bit to see if we can get a better relationship with the locals going so that they might start to tolerate stuff a bit more.
Mate I think you hit the nail on the head. I have nothing but praise for all the work that has been done on the Oxford Falls tracks and is my favorite place to spend a good afternoon. But I agree completely with what your saying about timing. From updates I have read on farkin in the past, it looks like some guys are putting in quite a bit of work trying to improve relations with the neighbors and for the most part it seems to be rather successful.

I also understand that one of the outcomes of the recent meeting (I couldn't make it unfortunately) was to try and calm down some of the building of wooden/unnatural jumps. To me, the recent building seems to go against what the riders who attended that meeting agreed on. (like I said I wasnt there so I could be wrong) I would hate for this to have a negative effect the positive headway that other riders are making with riding in the area.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
If nothing else, it demonstrates to the locals and other interested parties that the riders who are trying to work with them, organise meetings and get some control over the area.. have no control over their own.

If one of the involved locals was to see the tree that was cut down, at least they will now know who to point the finger at.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
I think the thing that got some people up in arms and made me personally think that the new structure isn't a great thing is the timing of it being put there.
Yeah I agree on that. But in their defence with the amount of talk going on about the place being bulldozed and built up "at any time" they probably figured if they want to get in and ride it for a couple of months they better do it now.

Most of the other work there has been brilliant in making the current tracks much more fun for the more experienced riders.

And as another note I agree with what was said before about wooden structures being less harmfull if the other option is to dig a big hole for dirt, BUT... you can make use of dirt without having to dig a big nasty hole as well.

It takes a bit more creative thinking, but for instance if you take the camber out of a bit of track you can use that dirt somewhere else for a jump. Or if you want to build a berm, dig into the ground and what you dig out you put on top of the berm.

Some things can not be done with dirt though unless you have some serious mining style equipment so then built structures is the only way to go for us "amateur" builders without access to these sorts of equipment.

But yes, don't chop down big trees. If you need to do that you probably didn't plan your track very well. It does need to happen on occasion, but that should be the exception.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
So what i am wondering is what is big & what is small????? The BMX track at homebush at the end of the first straight has a 11m double/triple and Kurrajong has a 16m double....So what is the deal with the jumps at Oxy. .
Well 11m at Kurrajong without the pinkbike ruler,... But it's a different kettle of fish altogether anyway.

Both those locations can restrict who can enter, who can ride and what safety they wear. they also have control over the design and maintenance.

In an open facility you loose all that, imaging being a council and being sued over a jump that you didn't build or was modified by someone else...

I'm sure if some wanted to lease the land and take on the liability concerns by having some sort of entry system that could be monitored then the powers that be would not be so nervous about these things.

We all know that our sport has less injuries than footy or netball and supplying MTB facilities should be no more concerning than supplying a skate park, a netball court or a footy ground...

Getting councils to see that when all they see of us is people getting axed on the play of the day or sixty minutes or just chopping down live trees to make stunts, is the hard part

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone remember the massive "truck service bridge drop" (i call it that because the shore that lead up to it was literally like a truck service bride that is raised off the ground to get under)! It was farkin massive, unfortunately (or fortunately) it was removed before completion.

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oxford Falls is a haven for mountain bike riders in sydney as locals build most days, even in weekdays, to get the place to look and fell awesome.
I may not be as much as a local as everyone else, but i have been to oxford both saturday and sunday for the past 2 weeks, and seeing as it is holdays will be heading up there quite a bit more. This basically means that i may be pickin up a shovel, to help the place progress. Everyone should be doing their bit when riding regularily to keep the place looking spic'n'span. Even if you just fix up a burm that has been shredded to helping one of the locals finish a downramp, your still helping out.
It is a great place to progress because as said earlier in the thread, their is more than just freeride, their are fast technical downhill sections, cross country, very flowy race style of tracks.
I do agree on the point that if the huge building continues, the place will be destroyed once again, but as also said, once you hit them, you will regret saying anything bad about the structures (don't know for a fact, although mates have hit basically everything there).
I ride their for fun, i may not be able to do 25ft gaps and 10ft drops, but i ride to my capability, and i am PROGRESSING because of this place.
In conclusion, a big shout out to the main builders at oxford, have really made a sydney riders mountain bike haven possible. My 2 cents.
Cheers, Tom.
P.S. The structure is bolted to the ground so it will not be easily removed when doing so.