new to road.. sizing query, trek specific + other options

slo

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
Im very new to road riding, i.e. never thrown a leg over one and gone more than around the block. Considering road as we have access to decent bike paths locally, doing it in the attempt to drop weight.

My specs are 192cm tall, with a 90cm inseam, pushing 115kgs and currently have the flexibility of a steel rod...
Looking to drop that extra 15-20kg by getting into a riding routing outside of Sundays, in the attempt of keeping up with current riding buddies when were on the trails.

The LBS have a pretty sweet deal on a 2014 Madone 4.7, but have only got 58cm in stock.
I have a feeling this will be a little bit to small for my height and inseam, and feedback on your thoughts on this??

Any other alternatives that you could recommend with about a 2k spend?
Im not opposed to ally frames (almost have a preference for them, cause Im scared of lunching carbon)
Doesnt have to be a roady, Im still considering a 29er hardtail and throwing some road rubber on there... confuuusing!

Thanks in advance!

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say don't get sucked in by the 'deal'! The Madone is being phased out and a new model is about to be released. That's why it's cheap...and it's value will plummet the second the model is released. It is also the 'aero' bike which, all else being equal, is heaver with a harsher ride quality compared to bikes with less focus on aerodynamics.

As for size, I believe the 58cm would be too small for you. The 60cm is only 4mm longer but you get your handlebars 17mm higher as a starting position. Given you are new to the ergonomics of a road bike, your height is already pushing the allowances of a 58cm, and that you state your flexibility is poor I believe having the higher bar height as a starting point is a good thing. Also take into account that the Madone being the 'aero' geometry is longer and lower than their 'endurance' bikes for any given size.

For your listed usage I'd be looking along the lines of the Trek Domane 4.3 Disc in a 60cm. Firstly it's your correct size, then the geometry across the board is shorter reach and higher bars than the Madone.
The bike itself is designed with a Focus on comfort, but is still a race worthy road bike. It's the design Fabian Cancellara uses year round, and the design Daniel McConnell (Aussie cross country rider, national champion, ranked 3rd in the world) trains and races on.
I'm guessing you don't have plans to race road anytime soon so you can benefit from having disc brakes (which are illegal for road racing) but make bike paths/commuting much less nerve racking. You would also benefit from the thru axles which will add wheel stiffness and strength given your weight. You also get tubeless ready wheels and frame clearance for wider tyres than the Madone. I'd say get the shop to swap out to 28, 30 or even 32mm tyres. It's pushing the budget at $2899 RRP but hopefully you and the shop can meet somewhere in the middle between that price and your budget.

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/endurance_race/domane/domane_4_3_disc_compact/

slo

Likes Dirt
thanks for the feedback lads, greatly appreciated!
being a scottish uni student, its hard not to be sucked in to a deal.
tight as a fishes asshole :fish2: haha.

after further thought, i think i am going to pursue a 29er hardtail (superfly).
more my cuppa, throw some hardpacked rubber on there, and just pedal it.
with the added bonus of being able to offload it to the missus down the track with a shorter stem... im doing this for us lady :heh:

thanks once again lads, top form!