New Tomac lightweight DS

xero

Supersports
One for the lightweight duel suspension XC riders

The All New Carbide SL

Over three years in development, the Carbide SL comes in at a scant 4.4 pound frame weight with DT Swiss carbon shock.
It’s one of the lightest XC full suspension bikes on the market, and certainly one of the stiffest.
The Carbide SL can be hammered through anything an XC rider or racer could throw at it.

Features:
* 90mm rear travel
* 4.4 pound/2000 gram frame weight with DT Swiss shock, large size
* Optimized carbon fiber front triangle, individual lay ups for each size
* High modulus carbon fiber with aluminum dropouts
* Shaped aluminum chain suck protector.
* Low stand over height with plenty of seat post adjust-ability
* Only three sets of bearings means easy service
* Accepts dual water bottles on all but the small frame
* Available in small, medium, large and extra large

The Background:
Let’s face it, the buzz on carbon has every bike company out there diving into weaves and resins at an alarming rate.
Tomac's result is the Carbide SL

It’s no real mystery why weight is a critical element of a bicycle, but stiffness is often a far secondary consideration.
It’s really unfortunate, because it translates into greater rider control, improved durability (a stiff package means the bearings aren’t being side loaded) and better suspension action.
Being stiff also gives the Carbide SL versatility. Bikes that are overly flexy may be good enough for a two hour XC race, but can’t really handle a rough XC ride.
Our goal with the SL was to make a bike that was stout enough for real punishment.

But stiffness and lightweight don’t just come easy. It took three years to develop the SL, and in the end, it’s a masterpiece of hand construction. Additional layers of carbon on the bottom of the down tube and top tube work to distribute loads evenly, stiffening layers on tube sides (when they have the greatest effect in bending) reduction lateral flex, box section top, down and seat tubes to counter lateral bending and rounded tube-sides counteract torsional loading and specific lay-ups for each size.

And that’s just the front triangle…the rear triangle is the area that typically sees the majority of flex. The Carbide SL features an all new carbon swingarm. By design alone, the fully triangulated swingarm, attached to the front triangle with a compact hollow-forged link, provides a high level of stiffness. But with focused use of high modulus carbon fiber, we were able to maximize the stiffness without adding any extra weight.

The new bike was unveiled at the Sea Otter Classic, and if you didn't get to see it in person, here is a nice and in depth review:

The complete below ( large size) was built up at 21.14 pounds (or 9.59kgs) with room to drop more weight.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/04/18/tomac-carbide-sl-carbon-fiber-full-susser-mountain-bike/

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
that's a sweet XC racer bike.

And as you say... plenty of room to drop more weight.

a lighter fork perhaps? maybe something with a carbon crown/steerer?

Lighter wheels, cockpit...

Sub 20lbs you think?

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahaha, I love this thread. More spam than a $5 pizza. But it's good, wholesome bike related spam.

But hell, yeah, what fantastic build that would be.

karl_eller

Likes Bikes
I think I need to change my pants :p That is a gorgeous bike. Any chance of it being in the price range of us mere mortals?

Eller

xero

Supersports
Pricing will be competitive..... we are working on it now.

that's a sweet XC racer bike.

And as you say... plenty of room to drop more weight.

a lighter fork perhaps? maybe something with a carbon crown/steerer?

Lighter wheels, cockpit...

Sub 20lbs you think?
You mean something like the The DT Swiss XRC Race Limited fork....:D

I think it is possible.

This one has the standard DT Swiss fork I believe.

JD26

Likes Dirt
......and a few other niceties - KMC x9SL (or possibly x10SL) chain, Formula disc brakes.

Pretty smooth though. It is very impressive what carbon is allowing frame engineers to do for a dual suspension frame. There are a few nice light frames available that are starting to push the boundaries of what used to be only hardtail weights.

xero

Supersports
I actually just got sent a spec list to build that frame to a weight of 7750g complete.....

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Xero advertises on the forums you peanut.
I know, it just seemed like this was a 'show off your wares' thread, I was waiting for M.artin to chime in about an arrow tyre for the build or Kegs to chime in about Ti bolts.

Anyway..

I actually just got sent a spec list to build that frame to a weight of 7750g complete.....
Feel free to share it..

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Does that include tyres such as Maxxis Maxxlite or Furious Fred?? Nice and light but not exactly practical.

I would think a weight of 7.7kg would be more of the non usable, only good for photos kind of build.

But it is a nice frame all the same.

xero

Supersports
Feel free to share it..
Tomac Carbide SL ALPCROSS edition put together by the Spanish Tomac Distro.... ( not that I can understand half of it!!!!!!!!)

But apparently confirmed:
Disclaimer: I am not commenting on the build, as there are quite a few parts here that I have no experience with whatsoever.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Tune, Tune, Tune, Schmolke, Schmolke, F99, carbon/Ti rings - if only us mortals could afford such totally esoteric bits.

Good on Tomac, I guess, for making a carbon frame that's 400 grams lighter (with DT shock) than a good alloy frame + RP23 ... but single-pivot? :rolleyes: Welcome to the '90s! Perhaps they should drop another 20 or 40 grams by going pivotless at the BB and use chainstay flex like some other bikes. :p

tu plang

knob
Tune, Tune, Tune, Schmolke, Schmolke, F99, carbon/Ti rings - if only us mortals could afford such totally esoteric bits.

Good on Tomac, I guess, for making a carbon frame that's 400 grams lighter (with DT shock) than a good alloy frame + RP23 ... but single-pivot? :rolleyes: Welcome to the '90s! Perhaps they should drop another 20 or 40 grams by going pivotless at the BB and use chainstay flex like some other bikes. :p
So you must be here to welcome us into 2001, where 4 pivots will catapult you from weekend warrior to Elite contender.

xero

Supersports
Hmmm, I guess when David Earle ( former head of engineering for Santa Cruz, the man responsible for the Blur and Nomad ) designed it, he must of thought that a linkage driven single pivot had it merits.....:rolleyes:

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Gorgeous looking frame, would love to see some close ups around the pivot bolts... I'm sure I'll find one on the trails in no time!

Still some room to move on that 7.75kg build!

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Tomac Carbide SL ALPCROSS edition put together by the Spanish Tomac Distro.... ( not that I can understand half of it!!!!!!!!)

But apparently confirmed:
Disclaimer: I am not commenting on the build, as there are quite a few parts here that I have no experience with whatsoever.
Interesting spec list -they have the weight of the Syntace F99 105 stem incorrect - it is definitely 99g with Ti bolts - I have one myself.

As for the tyres - std Furious Freds setup to run tubeless??? Nowhere in Oz (and probably lots of other places) that is going to last very long and sidewalls will be flexy as hell thru the corners.

Lightweight build for sure but very expensive - proper tyres will add 500g but it would at least then be somewhat durable.

Last edited:

xero

Supersports
Interesting spec list -they have the weight of the Syntace F99 105 stem incorrect - it is definitely 99g with Ti bolts - I have one myself.
Nice call,
You saved another 41g but we will add 500g for tyres, so if we call it an 8.21kg build....

What stem length do you have?..... I was under the impression the Ti bolts dropped 10g's from the standard, are you including top cap etc in the weight?

Still pretty impressive....

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Xero,

I have the 105mm stem. I can't remember the weights with with steel bolts but +10g sounds about right.

Mine weighs 99g with Ti bolts + top cap.

And yeah I'd be happy with this bike at 8.21kg.

Bodin

GMBC
I'll start taking a positive interest in Tomac bikes when they stop naming them after guns and ammunition.

I know it's stupid of me to write off a potentially awesome bit of gear on a moral basis, but there's something about adults being motivated by references to lethal weapons that really bothers me.