XC New Voodoo (warning, 29")

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been a long while since I bought brand new parts, and having grown bored of what I was tinkering with it was time to splurge:

Voodoo Dambala 29"
Steel frame, sliding dropouts, some clever touches such as ultra-short head tube with ample crown clearance, removable brake posts, good standover.
Beautifully finished in metallic green.
Fox F29 RLC, 09 clearout stock for damn cheap :eek: Last time I bought a brand new suspension fork was an RST 381 about 10 years ago! Since then I've only had 2nd hand stuff... it's a nice novelty to have to cut down a steerer tube to length.
Avid Juicy 3.5s (3 caliper, 5 lever), the white is OEM only but a mate hooked me up with a pair... awesome, beats having to run my old and flogged cable discs.

Just a rushed post for now, waiting for motivation to build to slap some parts together this arvo. Have XT cranks and basic wheels - Deore hubs with Velocity Synergy rims - ready to go, will probably run my old SRAM drivetrain but am keen to get SLX shifting happening as the new "shadow" derailleur and "dual release" shifters are very nice to use.

Bike will be used for commuting and trail riding and hopefully once I get fit again some endurance racing will be on the calender.

More detailed pics to come, will update as it's built... thanks to Schwing for the frame and Netti for the fork, it's been a bargain build so far :cool:

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking good. May I ask how much you picked the frame up for?

Can't wait to see it built up :)

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$450:cool:

I almost jumped at it as an impulse buy but spent a few weeks deliberating and expected it to sell quickly as it was a great price... but when some cash came through it put me in a position to buy the frame and fork in the same week and everything seemed to fall in to place with the brakes too. Awesomeness.
Scored another bargain this arvo, white rotors and X9 short cage from J5ive.

Hope the rest of the build is as cheap and easy as it's been so far.
Oh and I'm about to sell my 29" KHS Solo One SE, with fork and a pair of SS wheels. Should go for a bargain too and will help cover the build of this.

Last edited:

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Funny. I also went from a Solo One SE to a Dambala.

I love my Dambala... gorgeous handling bike, nimble for a 29er but super smooth. I hope you have the same success!

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spent the afternoon in the garage...

Had a fair bit of hassle getting the drivetrain working, super short cage rear derailleur and floppy old front derailleur didn't want to work properly... stuffed around with chainrings to find shifting ramps that worked too, maybe I should've just bought new parts :rolleyes:
Not quite rideable, but looks how it should and won't be long 'til it's going properly. Will post more details then...

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't used this for a while, never been offroad on it actually. I'm so damn lazy, would rather spend time building bikes than riding them...
Took a pic before I strip it to swap parts on to another bike:

Will look to sell frame + fork over the next few weeks, shame to let it go as for a big wheeled bike it feels great (well, for commuting at least) - but that's the life of being a bike whore.