New XC Advice.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Hey there all. Been a member for a while but haven't posted.

At the moment I'm looking into getting a new XC bike to replace my old Mongoose Pro. So far I have only test ridden a few bits but haven't seen much.

But from what I have seen I'm a little torn between 2 bikes, but I haven't taken them out for a decent demo just yet, but I was hoping to get some opinions on them.

I'm still unsure as to go for Hard tail or dualy.

in the Hard tale corner I have been given a good price on a 07 Avanti competitor
http://www.freedommachine.com.au/test/item.asp?Category=191&Start=0&ID=943

Leading in the Dualy is the Specialized FSRxc Expert
http://www.lifecycles.net.au/cms/in...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Has anyone taken either for a decent ride?

Bike will be used for:
Commuting to and from work (a few decent hills)
occasional attacking of stairs/small urban stuff
long rides through the fire trails.
bit of jumpy stuff I come across on the way back down.

Thanks

Olie.

Bodin

GMBC
Good choices, but I think it comes down to priorities.

I commute on a hardtail and would never use a dually for this purpose. More efficient on roads and easy trails, lower maintenance.

I trail ride on an FSR dually and prefer it massively over a hardtail. More efficient over rough ground, maintenance be damned if I can ride technical sections better.

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy the FSR (which will surprise NOBODY in this forum, I know, I know :eek:) and buy a really cheap pub bike (like sub-$200) to use as your commuter so you don't wear out your nice new dually prematurely by riding it heaps on roads.

Jumping? I don't know - learning to jump comes at a price (wear and tear) on any bike and XC bikes aren't really designed for it. However, some of my riding buddies are pretty smooth in the air and don't give their bikes too much grief, but still have a lot of fun popping off little lips on the trails. I guess it's up to you to assess how well your bike deals with what you put it through.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info.

So basically a dually wouldn't be suited to commuting to and from work. So I should probably keep my mongoose and chuck some road tyres on it for every day riding.

As for jumping, I'm only really talking 1 or so meters of air when I come across something on the way down a hill. No way will I try and DJing, 1 or so meters or air is more than enough for my likings.

Bodin

GMBC
Thanks for the info.

So basically a dually wouldn't be suited to commuting to and from work. So I should probably keep my mongoose and chuck some road tyres on it for every day riding.

As for jumping, I'm only really talking 1 or so meters of air when I come across something on the way down a hill. No way will I try and DJing, 1 or so meters or air is more than enough for my likings.
Yep, keep the 'goose and make it your commuter. Then go buy the FSR and keep it for the trails, because if you're not about to become a DJer, then it'll do you well.

Stay tuned for other advice before you buy, though. Everything I've written is just one man's opinion and there may be other options that I'm too biased to think about that might suit you more.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing. Cheers.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Thanks Bodin.

I'm not looking to buy for another week and a half, so i'm getting in as much research as I can. Theres not much info on the '08 gear yet.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, keep the 'goose and make it your commuter. Then go buy the FSR and keep it for the trails, because if you're not about to become a DJer, then it'll do you well.

Stay tuned for other advice before you buy, though. Everything I've written is just one man's opinion and there may be other options that I'm too biased to think about that might suit you more.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing. Cheers.
No personal experience with the FSR, but I would certainly agree with the advice. You don't need anything schmick for commuting, and in some ways it is better to have something that isn't that great. But when you get on the trails, it is nice to have something nice and fun to ride.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
One thing for sure is that the tyres on the 'goose are getting replaced asap, they are starting to disintegrate a bit. well enough to put me out of riding for the next few days.

Coming off onto concrete about 20km from home is very much not fun.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No brainer - go the dually, especially if the prices / specs quoted in your links are accurate. $3100 for a hardtail (even though it is a carbon frame) is waaay to exe in my book, that money would have bought 2 x XTC2 which I think as well specced, possibly better!

Enjoy your new bike!

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Headed up to the local tonight (eagle MTB park) and damn, after taking a Ht through there I'm looking forward to taking a dual up there. My ass and legs are killing from some of the bumps.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just remember, nothing we say should influence you as much as the simple comfort test, get whichever one you feel you can spend the most time on, full stop end of story

(though I'd go for the duallie ;))

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
My vote....go the duallie...your arse will thank you on those longer epics and you can have a bit more fun.

Keep the old hardtail for commuting...whack a pair of slicks on them and you have 2 bikes for the best of both worlds.