New XT/XTR lever on old XT caliper

Dan

Likes Dirt
Since I have been out of the loop with the whole bike thing for some years now, my semi-extensive knowlage has pretty much gone down the drain.

I am running one of the original XT Hydro discs on the front and the lever is missing a bush (where the lever pushes the piston/part). So its extremely sloppy. It has been like this for a while when I used to ride, but it never bothered me and I was always short on money to get it fixed. I would always find something 'cooler' to upgrade then a boring lever.

Im not as broke anymore and would like to upgrade my brakes, although its not a 'need' as the system works and pulls me up totally fine.

So is it possible just to grab a new XT (I see this new XTR hydro system...? God im so out of the loop its embarrassing) lever and hook it up to my old XT caliper?

Im guessing a couple of problems could be the connection, if its different now? And also the throw length of the piston, or whatever you want to call it?

Im selling my car to get out of debt, but unfortunately I picked up a Dirt mag the other day and the old bug has got me again :( lol

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
are they the old xt four pots? if so, dont get new levers, those are mad brakes:D IF YOU MUST, sell them, you should get some cash for them, and then look into a new set of xt brakes which are apparently the shiz. (around $280-$300 if you look around, theres a set in the for sale section floating around i think). but yeah i have no idea if what you want to do will work or not.

sorry i couldnt help you:p

*EDIT*
www.chainreactioncycles.com for very cheap mtb stuff, you might want to have a look around if you are planning on some upgrades

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
hey man

i had planned on this if you meant the 4pot, do you have the 755 or 765s? either way
you gonna need a olive/shroud to get it going, cut the 90 bend off if its the older one otherwise it should be ok they are still using the same olive/shroud bits. both are still using that attachment at the end of the caliper so you should be ok.

my only worry is the ratios of how much oil to push regards braking power/leverage etc.

will the new levers push enough oil to activate the calipers sufficently or will it be too touchy and too close?

let us know how it goes.

and CRC has xtr levers servowave at 64 dollars and 27 each for new lines.

Last edited:

Dan

Likes Dirt
They are the original four pots. If I had fixed this issue with the missing bush when it first happened, it would have been fine. But now the hole has gone oblonged from wear so its unfixable :(

I would prefer not to sell or buy new ones :p

Dan

Likes Dirt
hey man

i had planned on this if you meant the 4pot, do you have the 755 or 765s? either way
you gonna need a olive/shroud to get it going, cut the 90 bend off if its the older one otherwise it should be ok they are still using the same olive/shroud bits. both are still using that attachment at the end of the caliper so you should be ok.

my only worry is the ratios of how much oil to push regards braking power/leverage etc.

will the new levers push enough oil to activate the calipers sufficently or will it be too touchy and too close?

let us know how it goes.

and CRC has xtr levers servowave at 64 dollars and 27 each for new lines.

Ah awesome! Took me a while to hit the submit button so didnt see your post.

Not sure on the 755 or 765's....

Well I will look further into it, your post has given me some guidance at least ;)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
755 has the 90 bend whilst the slightly newer 765s had the straight connection for the lever mate :)

they were the best brakes ive used and had. better than hope 6pots, the 06-07 xts ive had etc

glad shimano have bought the saint ones out.

but if you wanna buy go buy new saints and sell them stupidly cheap id be keen :p

Dan

Likes Dirt
Well thats good to know they are still considered an awesome brake! Like I said, I havnt ridden since I was around 18 (22 now) so im completely out of the loop with anything bike related these days.

Why do I sense that there are all of a sudden all these people waiting to grab my XT's.... Hrrmm...

:p

Ill try to find some photos online and have a look at the lever (at work at the moment)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well thats good to know they are still considered an awesome brake! Like I said, I havnt ridden since I was around 18 (22 now) so im completely out of the loop with anything bike related these days.

Why do I sense that there are all of a sudden all these people waiting to grab my XT's.... Hrrmm...

:p

Ill try to find some photos online and have a look at the lever (at work at the moment)
yea outright, if theres anything you want help with chuck us a pm as id been to keen to see this happen.

ive had 3 sets of the damn things and i keep selling them cause i need the money at wrong times. :(

Dan

Likes Dirt
yea outright, if theres anything you want help with chuck us a pm as id been to keen to see this happen.

ive had 3 sets of the damn things and i keep selling them cause i need the money at wrong times. :(

For sure, ill keep you posted...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
New levers/master cylinders will work fine with your calipers. I've done the same thing in reverse(old lever,new caliper) and it's fine. I've just sold it I think, so don't ask to buy it.

Dan

Likes Dirt
New levers/master cylinders will work fine with your calipers. I've done the same thing in reverse(old lever,new caliper) and it's fine. I've just sold it I think, so don't ask to buy it.
Ah. Well thats good to know. When I have some spare cash floatin round, ill do it and re-bleed and let you guys know the results.

Stint

Likes Dirt
Has there been any new developments on this? I'm keen to also do the same thing here. I've had my 755's for 9 years now, and they have not failed me yet! I love these things to bits, and it has survived 3 frames now.

However the lever is now starting to get a bit tired, and I'm keen to keep these 4 pots.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Has there been any new developments on this? I'm keen to also do the same thing here. I've had my 755's for 9 years now, and they have not failed me yet! I love these things to bits, and it has survived 3 frames now.

However the lever is now starting to get a bit tired, and I'm keen to keep these 4 pots.
Have you had a test with the new servo lever? I'd try and get a ride on it first, see if you like the feel first. Some will like it, some will be hate it.

In the mean time, during the gap in this thread I had some SLX servos and found them to feel more unnatural than the older shimano lever.

Have since gone to some codes and now back to the XT 4pots with straitline levers, just seem to be the most comfortable predictable brake for me.

Stint

Likes Dirt
Have you had a test with the new servo lever? I'd try and get a ride on it first, see if you like the feel first. Some will like it, some will be hate it.

In the mean time, during the gap in this thread I had some SLX servos and found them to feel more unnatural than the older shimano lever.

Have since gone to some codes and now back to the XT 4pots with straitline levers, just seem to be the most comfortable predictable brake for me.
A mate of mine has got the xt servo levers on some 2 pot calipers. I get what you mean with the levers feeling more like an on/off switch rather than the old 755's. However, I wouldn't really complain if I had to use them.

I've got a set of Codes on the downhill bike, but I really do like the xt 4 pots. With the straitline lever set up you currently have, what did you do? Just replace the levers on your existing shimano brake levers?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Yea I've just replaced the levers to the straitline, yet to give them a good workout but my first impressions were good with the new levers.

They feel thicker than the stock XT lever which is nice, hopefully should get leave me with a nice feeling predictable brake no matter the humidity or conditions.

Going to try a few different pads to see which works best with a decent range available- unsure whats in them at the moment.

jackedin

Likes Dirt
I run dual shifters (these are the brake and shifter combo's)with 755 xt's calipers and they are very nice.
Had to get goodridge lines to make it happen but was going that way anyhow. You can get the original lines for the straight olive connection still
If you are after some good used levers I have a pair of the banjo connection type that I could do for a good price PM me.
I haven't found any difference in feel and I am under the impression that all the levers supply the same amount volume in there piston movement. I have found that sometimes the 2 piston calipers were a little to sharp for my liking on the front and I have induced a little air into the system to give them more feel.