New Yeti ASR Carbon Dream Bike! *Derby video post 53*

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Nice..

I'm at Thredbo for a trails conference soon.
Reckon a Hardtail would go alright? (I'm also potentially going to spend some time in Berra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7r98Zdfh0&t=364s

This is an old video of mine (upgraded my GoPro since then!) of a run down the Flow trail on my old hard tail. Very rideable, most runs I did in a day was 14. Limited only by your forearm strength!*

*I also cracked three frames in two years

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice..

I'm at Thredbo for a trails conference soon.
Reckon a Hardtail would go alright? (I'm also potentially going to spend some time in Berra)
I ride the Flow and AM on a steel frame hardtail with 140mm up front. Maybe a little slower than the dualies and tiring on the legs but still all good fun, maybe even more fun because of the HT. I knocked of seven runs one after another in half a day and my legs were done in by then from being off the seat constantly as there is virtually no reprieve for a chance to sit down.

The braking bumps on the Flow are quite brutal on the body, while the AM has less brake bumps (at the moment, has lots more now than what it had in early January before they opened the new top part) but it is very rocky at the top so is quite wearing to ride techincally and maintain the speed over them.

k3n!f

I just got to 1:10 and was about to say this exact same thing!! Had to mute it.
Yeah it's driving me freaking nuts! I love silent bikes, makes me feel super smooth. The first thing I did when I bought this bike was pack the DT hub with grease to stealth it up.

Now it's creaking like mad and I can't find where. The only thing I haven't done is re-grease the press fit bottom bracket. I don't think I'll get another frame with a press fit BB, too much hassle.

Z

Zaf

Yeah it's driving me freaking nuts! I love silent bikes, makes me feel super smooth. The first thing I did when I bought this bike was pack the DT hub with grease to stealth it up.

Now it's creaking like mad and I can't find where. The only thing I haven't done is re-grease the press fit bottom bracket. I don't think I'll get another frame with a press fit BB, too much hassle.
Praxis kit that mofo!
My BB30 on the Stumpy has been relatively pain free so far, touch wood. But the first sign of an issue I'm getting a praxis for it.

k3n!f

It's probably just a standard issue frame crack ... I wouldn't worry.
Currently on my 5th carbon Yeti frame so that comment is probably true!

In other news I found the creaking! I was premature blaming the press fit BB, turns out the cinch ring holding the single chain ring on the Next SL cranks was loose. I don't have the tool to tighten it so I had the LBS put the ring on for me when I built the bike. If you want a job done properly you really do have to do it yourself.

I have decided to continue my quest for arse comfort by returning to my roots. Back to a Gobi for me, rode these for years. Hopefully my fond memories are not just nostalgia!

I have also noticed the Crest rim has started cracking at the spoke holes. R2 bike have been great though, sending through two new replacement rims and spoke nipples. Anyone else had this trouble with Stan's rims?

Attachments

Z

Zaf

I think you need to go to an SB4.5c at the very least. The ASR is clearly not up to the task of the riding you give it!
That tool is an older BB tool I think, i've got one in my kit, pretty cheap IIRC and worth grabbing just for the sake of not having to rely on others.
Never had that issue with Stan's, but hard to argue when it's that well supported!

k3n!f

I think you need to go to an SB4.5c at the very least. The ASR is clearly not up to the task of the riding you give it!
You may very well be right Zaf! I think I need a 4.5C, a 6C and probably an old 303 DH. Oh, and an ARC and a 5C.....

I haven't really been riding much lately. Life got in the way with an interstate move and a new (very busy) job. I did manage to get down to Derby for Easter, DEFINITELY worth the trip.

This video was my first (blind) run down Flickity Sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXGN7L6nWzc&feature=youtu.be

Bike is holding up well. I'm still a bit nervous about the 126g weight weenie MCFK handlebar. Not that I have reason to be, it's still in one piece after a couple of trips to Thredbo and some of the EWS stages at Derby. Pretty impressive really.

Off to Bright next weekend to check it out!

Last edited:

k3n!f

Had a day riding at Bright on the weekend, ended up being a pretty big day. 4 hours, 54km, 1500m climbing, great fun. I took a wrong turn on my first ride up to get to the Hero trail and ended up climbing to the launch site of the paragliders. The start of the Hero trail is next to the fire trail running along the ridge (below the paraglider in this photo). Was pretty bummed I forgot my GoPro, otherwise it was a great day out!

Attachments