New Yeti frame - build and Melbourne bike shop question

korgi

Squid
Hi

I recently purchased the below frame from Jenson USA.

I have a few questions regarding the build.

1. It's supposed to take a 27.2 seatpost but my Syntace post of that size doesn't slide in smoothly. I measured the seat tube ID and it's more like 27mm. Can anyone recommend a good shop in Melbourne that can ream the seat tube? I will also get the shop to prep the BB and head tube etc.

2. I will be mounting a Sram XX crankset soon. Can anyone recommend a BB to go with it (GXP)? I'm thinking of the Chris King. Is it worth it?

3. Lastly, for a wheelset I'm planning on using DT Swiss 240s. I'm about 90kgs so was thinking of Mavic XM819s for rims. Any other rim recommendations? Also, should I stick to brass nipples and can anyone recommend a good wheel builder in Melbourne?

Cheers
Korgi

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had the same issue with seatposts in my yetis. the easiest solution I fould was a lot of standard style road bikes have the right size seat post, I bought 2 cheap from my lbs and couldnt be happier. Check out the roadbike posts instead of the mtb ones next time you head into your local shop.
enjoy the bikes, yetis rock!

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Casnell.

I'm in Ivanhoe East, so we are virtually neighbours!
There you go ! I've got a road Ti post in my ARC Ti which are both meant to be 27.2, but it took a bit of cleaning/pushing to get in.

And what's that red thing in the background.........

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice ! I've had a couple of laps around Sandown in an Exige, good fun. They weigh about as much as an MTB...my sort of car.

Red.

Likes Dirt
how did you get it over here. the say on there web site that they do not post yeti, fox and etc.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
how did you get it over here. the say on there web site that they do not post yeti, fox and etc.
Precisely what I was going to ask. They are doing the Yeti 303rdh SOOOO cheap over there. Did you send it to a friend and have them ship it over?

korgi

Squid
It's one of the last US made ones - 08 ASR-SLC.

From some internet research:

"Yeti took the last remaining golden made frames and painted them with a special color scheme"

It cost me A$1,260 delivered door to door in 4 days all costs inclusive. No customs or GST. It would be cheaper slightly now as the exchange rate has improved since I ordered.

I was going to buy one from the importer here (if the Jenson order wasn't accepted) but the price was too good in my view.

The Jenson site did say US only but I thought I'd try putting through an on-line order and it went through fine. Maybe the restriction is on current models and not new ones. Though the customs value they put on the package was quite low :rolleyes:, so maybe they have flexible rules they play by.

Last edited: