New Zealand - Pakahi Trail or Taupo?

Hi Guys

I'm heading to Rotorua in early November (2nd time) and I'm considering doing a day trip either to Pakahi Trail or Taupo. I'm keen to hear what you think is the better option. I tend to like gravity trails, for example my two favourite trails in the Redwoods are Te Tihi-O-Tawa and Split Enz.

Cheers

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been a few times. Was thinking about doing Pakihi trail, but got warned off for it being a bit ho hum. Probably more trail at Taupo, with Craters of the Moon network and W2K.

Craters is a bit shit after getting flattened a few years ago, and W2K is fun in spots (Headland Loop), but none of it is really gravity. I have come to the conclusion that I am better off staying in Rotorua, especially now Skyline is open :)

sydmick

Likes Bikes
We did a 2 week trip last November that involved all of that plus more. Pakihi Track is very cool if you like the back country experience - it is very remote. It descends gradually the whole way and the scenery is great but the trail requires concentration so you don't get to admire the scenery that much. It is a good experience and good riding without being off the scale awesome. Logistics for a 1 day trip would be a bit of an effort to. Taupo is easy to get to. Craters is pretty good but again it is a bit disappointing after being in the Redwoods for a few days. I love the Great Lake Trail though. Plenty of climbing though to match the descending and all pretty simple riding but great scenery. If you are fit I would recommend riding from the road to Kawa Kawa Bay then Kinloch for lunch before riding the W2K section and headland track in the arvo. Plenty of swimming opportunities along the way. Use Great Lake Shuttles for transport. But if I had just 1 day to get out of Rotorua and ride somewhere else it would always be the Moerangi Track. Remote, back country riding, amazing scenery, big climbs and big descents - totally awesome. Use Jailhouse shuttles for transport. Thats my 2c. Have fun.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
Been a few times. Was thinking about doing Pakihi trail, but got warned off for it being a bit ho hum. Probably more trail at Taupo, with Craters of the Moon network and W2K.

Craters is a bit shit after getting flattened a few years ago, and W2K is fun in spots (Headland Loop), but none of it is really gravity. I have come to the conclusion that I am better off staying in Rotorua, especially now Skyline is open :)
Damn straight to staying in Roto, 72 days until we fly out for our return trip (went last November) 3 days at Skyline, 6 in the Redwoods!