New Zealand Trip - Van Hire ?

brindog

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,
Myself and a good mate are thinking on making a trip over to New Zealand around February next year.
Now the plan is to fly over, rent a wicked van or the likes and travel around riding different trails around Rotorua and then travel further abroad in our two week trip. Now flights not a problem about $350 return, hiring a van about $1,050 for 14 days. Sweet, all sounds good. Now here's the problem. We are both on our P2 Licence, and every company so far I have looked at says that they require a full Licence. Now I am ultra keen to do this trip, and I don't want to wait over a year until I can do it. So has anyone been in the same situation, and know of some where I can hire out a van with my P2 Licence ? Or even buy say a $1000-1500 car or van then just ditch it after two weeks ?

Thanks heaps

Last edited:
You might find it nigh on impossible unless you stumble across a dodgy Bro & Bro's Rent a Coffin on Wheels operation.

On the upside there's an absolute glut of cheap & nasty cars kicking around Auckland if you're intending on checking out the north island. Keep an eye out on Trade Me (www.trademe.co.nz) & you might find something with rego & a warranty of fitness (WOF)for $1000-$1200NZD ($750-950AUD) that will serve you reasonably well. It is an option but probably only one that should be explored if you have a reasonable understanding & applied knowledge of motor vehicle maintenance i.e. handy with engine & general repairs...

It isn't as crazy as it sounds but it will mean you'll need to pull a dodgy with the paperwork etc (holding over the transfer of ownership) & take the risks associated with buying a 2nd hand dunger as well as then getting rid of it- though once again you could off it via Trade Me or just take it to a dodgy car yard, of which there are no shortages of in Auckland.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you checked out Rhodes car hire ? , Also check out/ google commercial vehicle hire NZ . If you planing on starting at Christchurch keep an eye on the Christchurch local council web sight , they seem to have all the info on the local tracks most seem to be closed due to land slide . Southstare also has info , trails , accommodation , car hire ,, ect ect . Im looking at doing the same trip , im thinking of flying to Dunedin hire a dual cab ute then drive 3 hours to Arrow town were we are hiring a house for two weeks .It`s 15 mins away from Queens town and next to Cornet peak and loads of other trails and seems to be allot cheaper then to stay in Queenstown . Anyway this is just some of the stuff ive been able to find out , im sure there is more .

sam705

Likes Dirt
I'm planning on heading over with 3 or so mates at the end of february for a week, tieing in the Unit Farm Jam.
Were looking at hiring a small campervan and touring in the meantime!
Will be sure to keep an eye on this thread!

brindog

Likes Dirt
Thanks SRAR. I would really rather rent than buy, hopefully I find a small place that rents out shit boxes. I know australia has plenty, so I can't see why New Zealand wouldn't. I checked out the link, seems to be some alright looking vans on there, cheep as well, seems to be a heaps of Jap Imports, Might have to end up buying if so, how would you go about putting the car under your name ? Insurance etc ?

And also thanks for that SideFX, but unfortunately they don't hire out to under 21's. And thanks for the other info.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried juicy? Also give them a call, in NZ you only have one year of P's and you're off the before we even get our first year of P's.

My brother and I rented a juicy van and I highly recommend them, good service, had the van fixed the next morning after someone broke into it, came with litteraly everything you'd need, bedding, cooking utensils, stove, fridge, DVD player, gps, other random things we might need and a choice of DVDs.

But my brother had his opens so we said he was going to drive, even tho I think he drove once the whole trip haha

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried juicy?
Jucy would be best if you can get in. Not sure about the full license thing, but I'm pretty sure I've got a mate who's hiring a car on his Vic provisional? Certainly no age requirement.

Also give them a call, in NZ you only have one year of P's and you're off the before we even get our first year of P's.
Uh, no. L's at 15 (currently trying to be increased to 16), earliest you can get your restricted license (P's) is 17, and you can't go for your full license until you've had your restricted license for 18 months.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah ok? Did it change? Or there are exceptions? Cuas when I was over there I was riding with a guy who was 16 and had his restricted license...

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah ok? Did it change? Or there are exceptions? Cuas when I was over there I was riding with a guy who was 16 and had his restricted license...
How long ago were you there? I'm certainly not aware of any recent change. That being said, I never went from my L's to restricted in NZ...but I've always been told that you can get your L's at 15, but can't get your restricted until your 17, with a minimum total time on your L's of 1 year experience.
The restricted time is definitely correct, because I had to go through the process of getting an exemption for a full license upgrade. :mmph:

CanCer

Likes Dirt
I was going to suggest Juicy too, I went over there when I was a travel agent last year and they were still the only company who'd hire me a car since I was under 21. Were fairly cheap too.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Great cheers guys, will shoot Jucy a email to make sure. I like the idea of having everything you need come with the van, so you can pretty much live out of the thing. Will also check out rent-a-dent.
What Island do you think would be best for AM riding ? I've heard great things about both.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Fantastic, just got an email back from Jucy, I asked if they have any extra cost for Australian P2 Holders, reply "Here at JUCY we have no extra costs for drivers on their P2 License". Stoked, New Zealand Riding Trip is GO !! :biggrin:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What Island do you think would be best for AM riding ? I've heard great things about both.
North. Hit up Rotorua, and make sure you visit Taupo and the 'Craters of the Moon'!

South Island pretty much only has QT. AM orientated riding in Dunedin/Wanaka/ChCh is pretty sweet, but certainly not something I'd travel overseas for. That being said, the XC is Dunedin is schweeeeeeeet - mega euro style.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Jucy looks the go. Around $1000 for 9 days, sleeping 4 people!
My 3 other mates all have their full license, i'm still on my P2's. Good to know i'll still be legally allowed to get behind the wheel!

Now to figure out what we're going to do for the 9 days!

Any ideas?
Looking to fly into Queenstown. We will do a bit of travelling but nothing too extreme.

EDIT: Sorry if i'm interferring Brin, i figured it's all NZ related :)

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i havnt been to the south island yet, but if your going for less then 2 weeks i'd stick to one island, i'v spent 9 weeks over there in total and i'v still not been everywhere i want on the north island.

as for riding, redwoods is a masive park with lots to explore if you have a good peddling bike, also some sick dh runs. woodhill (north of auckland) is also an amazing spot, some big freeride lines and other stuff there, plus and awesome jump park. there are a few other spots but they were more jumps and short trails, if you go near turanga check out oropi mtb park, lots of small, amazingly fun runs, one called rollercoaster is actually one of the most fun tracks i'v ever ridden, steep slippery and fun.

i think i will have to start planning annother trip already!

brindog

Likes Dirt
Cheers Rabbit, was really thinking north Island, with Rotorua, Looks like I'll go there first, especially for the AM and XC side of things, then South Island another time with the downhillers.
Just Watched this video from AMB, and its got me sold. http://vimeo.com/25641826

And no worry's sam the more info the better.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your up North island, be SURE to hit Woodhill, just north of Auckland but VERY well worth the short drive up there. It is a MTB specific park, costs like $5 for a day pass but soooo very worth it!

Rotorua is also a must, you will want to spend 2-3 days there minimum and look at doing a few shuttle runs with the shuttle service up there (can't remember how much but it was bloody cheap for the quality of riding)

Wellington has some nice rides as well if your heading down south.

Then obviously Q'town has some amazing riding, be sure to bring your pads and full face if possible (otherwise hire one cause you'll wanna go big!)

Mate and I did a month of campervan/riding from north to south island...can't wait to do it all again, amazing place to ride

Enjoy it mate!