Newbie First Bike Decsion

Lurch75

Cannon Fodder
Hi all
I am looking at getting into Mountain Biking and need some advice on a couple of bikes. I have had a few conflicting suggestions but think i may have narrowed it down to a few bikes.

1. Giant Trance X3 2012 new. Went and had a look at one today and and felt good. Was told by LBS that it's a good all-round bike. Also read an article in Australian Mountain bike and they gave it a good write up in there.

2. Giant Anthem 29er 2011.(second hand) A friend suggested one of these. His reasoning was first i am pretty tall 6'3 and weigh 107kg. and would be a better fit. Also has better gear fitted than the Trance. Also spoke to another friend who has one and he absolutely loves it( he about my size as well.)

3. At another LBS i was recommended a Hardtail Merida Big Nine TFS XT-D. Reasoning was it was a good fit and also less maintenance without a rear shock.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed.

Budget would be $1500-$2000 and looking at doing bit XC and single track.

Last edited:

mxracer92

Likes Dirt
budget ( pricerange ) will help with suggestions on what sorta bike.

also where and how you would like to ride it , DH, dirt jumps, xc , etc etc

ViS

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

I still think an Anthem 29er will give you best of all worlds. You can race it in short races or longer enduros, do epics and weekend trail fun. You can ride it on bike paths with the family too.

There are plenty of decent option in the classifieds here.

Spesh enduro. More travel, but still great for weekend trail fun and can be used for racing (won't be the fastest bike n a XC race, but is a fun bike to ride. I rode one at Downieville and it is very capable):
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241274-2010-Specalized-enduro-XL-priced-to-go

GT 29er. Classic angles brought back in 29er form. This bike is getting good reviews:
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?241083-GT-Karakoram-1-29er-2012

That's just a couple of options. What you should be looking for is a decent frame and fork. The rest can be slowly upgraded along the way as bits wear out.

There are several good 29er hardtails you can buy new. Look at Giant, GT, Trek, Scott and Merida. All will give you decent components and frame for your price bracket, and you have the warranty backup. Ride as many as you can. One will probably stand out in comfort and fit.

Good luck. You'll be entering 24 hour races with us in no time!

Last edited:
the trance x3 would get my vote. I looked at that and the reign 2 ended up going the reign because it suited my riding style a little better (read very rough) but for a beginner you couldnt fault the trance. Best of luck with the purchase

BMP075

Cannon Fodder
I was sold a Reign 1 in 2010 and it certainly doesnt suit me, I find it heavy and combesome up hill. Im now considering an Anthem but been told that Trance is also a decent bike.