Newbie parts questions

bardles

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, new to MTBing but after scabbing off mates after a few flats decided I should step up my gear...

What would you advise for

1) Backpack/hydration - I normally do fairly short rides, 3-4 hours tops (but in FNQ = hot). ?Is camelbak the be-all and end-all?

2) Pump - is a small portable hand-held enough or do I need one of those dynamite activating things. Do I need a high pressure pump? I do a bit of road-riding but usually only to get me to the XC/easy downhill tracks

3) What tools do I need in my saddle pack to keep me out of trouble.

Cheers

Brad

rockydog

Likes Dirt
I reckon you should always carry a spare tube, a pump, chain link, and a mini bike tool (including chainbreaker). .
Plus spare brake pads and derrailleur hanger for the epic rides.
And water(carribee make a good pack too)

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey bardles are you at CBH? i have some great articles on all the best stuff to pack in a bag for short or long rides. For most rides 3L = 3kg+ gear can be way too heavy. 1 litre of water per hour is probably enough. Just be sure to pre- and re- hydrate either side of your ride.

A good floor pump with a gauge is a must. I invested $90 in a Silca 12 years ago and I still use it regularly. (it stays in the garage of course)

Uber_Dan

Likes Bikes
Hey mate I would advise taking the following:

2.5L - 3L hydration bladder (cammelbak and deuter for some top end names, if you want cheaper maybe carribee).

A multi tool, (all allen keys, tyre levers, chain breaker ect).

A patch repair kit and a spare tube.

A compact pump (Some times come with brackets to mount to frame to save room in your bag!)

A few Cable ties (never know when they come in handy).

Hope that helps!

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One spring I planted corn too early wedding invitations in a bottomland so flood-prone that neighbors laughed. I felt chagrined at the wasted effort. Summer turned brutal -- the worst heat wedding invitations wave and drought in my lifetime. The air-conditioner died, the well went dry, the marriage ended, the job lost, the money gone.bridesmaid dresses I was living lyrics from a country tune -- music I loathed. Only a surging Kansas City Royals team, bound for their first World Series, buoyed my spirits.
How about NO

bardles

Likes Dirt
Hey bardles are you at CBH? i have some great articles on all the best stuff to pack in a bag for short or long rides. For most rides 3L = 3kg+ gear can be way too heavy. 1 litre of water per hour is probably enough. Just be sure to pre- and re- hydrate either side of your ride.

A good floor pump with a gauge is a must. I invested $90 in a Silca 12 years ago and I still use it regularly. (it stays in the garage of course)

Yeah mate, CBH. Not for much longer. You suffering the same curse?

Brad