Newbie Question 29er with 27.5 plus tyres

beerye_

Squid
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is or has run 27.5 plus tyres on the 29er? If so wound you recommend the switch?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yes I have...
No I wouldn't....

BB ends up as low as my grandfather's ball sack.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You do mean 27.5 wheels I'm guessing because no way is a 27.5 tyre going on a 29 wheel.
Not with that attitude. If you heat them up for long enough you'll be able to stretch them on and get a really nice low profile set up, a little like drift racing tyres.

Just hold off mate. There is something new and big coming in 2018 wheel dimensions that will have you buying a whole new bike. Current info is light, but what's there looks revolutionary. Have a search and get ready!

stickso

Likes Dirt
For a 29er frame you need 2.8" or preferably 3" tyres to get the BB at a reasonable height so you aren't smashing the pedals on every techy climb. That's going to be a limitation of your bike's rear end as it's unlikely to fit a tyre that wide.

I have a Stumpy 6Fattie as per that vid which uses the 29er's front triangle and wider rear end to take the fat rubber. With 2.8" Maxxis tyres the BB is only just high enough. Still get pedal strikes more often than I'd like so I'm trying 170mm cranks which then has a tradeoff on climbs.

For the rocky area where I ride I love it.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, It works on my Nimble 9 HT, but as mentioned above there is a compromise on the BB height that results in pedal strikes. My Fat bike with 4.0 Tyres on 65mm rims rides way better than the plus tyres if you want to run stupid low pressure to get heaps of grip.

The 3.0 sized tyres just fit the non boost fork and frame. I find they provide a better ride than the 2.8 tyres. The bike still rides best overall as a 29er but it is still fun to mix things up on the same bike.

beerye_

Squid
Thanks stickso and Halo1 for your advice.

I think I'll stick with my current setup but look into wider rims and tyres at a later point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk