newbie question

skillz

Likes Dirt
i cant seem to use the 2nd gear on my bike properly, it goes to gear 3 instead. ive got an alivio rear derailier.
can someone tell me how to fix this?

G

bent could be a possiblity man......check if your der hanger is inline with the sprockets

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if that site has anything to do with it read something about your hi end and low end adjustment screws.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Take it down to your lbs, they'll be able to tell you whats happened, i think just one of our adjuster screws cam loose, shouldnot be anything serious.

Have you landed on your derraileur before? That could be a possibility.

EDIT: I posted this @ the same time as josh/oz-freerider, yea just let him do it then ;)

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The same things been happening to me latly and the problem is my rear deraillour hanger. After a little while the hanger gets weak and bends eaisly. You can either buy a new one for about $30 or try to bend it back into shape. I could just as eaisly be somthing else.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
not gonna last long bending it back into shape if its alum... infact it would probably snap while ur trying to bend it

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know that same thing just happened to me on sunday, my bike fell on the train and must have hit the deraillur. I didn;t noticed and droped a chain on the flat stuff, easily re-tuned by josh.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
me = pro with derails thanks to my bad trials style..... i have repalceed about 15 on mu bike and am allways retuning/bending them

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
noticed when i had been screwing with mine for 20 mins the night before to get the gears shift sweetly and u did it on sunday in 3 seconds

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hehehe when I used to screw with em, I'd usually just guess and try to find the right positions, took me ages the first time, still cant and wont do it anymore untill someone teaches me!

wombat

Lives in a hole
I presume we're talking about the rear mech here (you did say rear?) so my first guess would be a lack of cable tension. I really don't see how the limit screws would have anything to do with it unless your low screw is set REALLY badly.

schmook

Likes Dirt
i was having a similar problem with the alivio on my bike and it seemed to have been eradicated when i shortened the chain.
i hope this is helpfull.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oz-freerider said:
me = pro with derails thanks to my bad trials style..... i have repalceed about 15 on mu bike and am allways retuning/bending them
fix mine too! I've got a weird proble that i can't fix, it skips a gear goin down, and doesn't shift here, then over shifts there... arrghghghh

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have a similar problem on my FRM(that i will fix before i ride it again) that comes from having too much play in the derailer cable. because of the weird Craftworks cable routing the slop between the cable and the housing when it goes around my BB for example creates alot of play in the whole system. Shouldn't be a problem on a HT with decent cable routing though.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Just take it to your LBS. We all do this stuff all day long, and it becomes second nature eventually. Plus if you continue having problems after they've sorted it, they should take care of you.