Newbie speedo question.

Dafatkid

Likes Bikes
I am wondering what the go is with speedometers on MTBs?

I currently run a Garmin 500, but the speed /cadence sensor looks very exposed to stick /rock damage. I currently haven't been able to get out bush to test my theory.

Any suggestions would be great. I like to see travel and kms on a ride. Km/h don't matter.

Cheers

driftking

Wheel size expert
The monitor should track distance if the satellites are on, it connects when you first turn it in so it should always be on unless you turn it off in settings.

It will track your distance via the satellite no need for cadence if you don't need it or worry about it.
As for the whole stick thing exposure it's in a place that is least likely to get smashed up and sit snug to the frame. You are way more likely to clip a pedal or hit the deraileur then the sensor. Sure it's possible but lower risk.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The standard sensor mounting position is on the left chainstay so it can pick up the crank magnet signal if you have cadence enabled. On the left means it's not going to get whacked by the chain, and on top of the stay protects it from any rocks or logs that you run over, plus it's out of the way of your foot. So it's actually pretty well protected.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
As they said - it'll be fine.

On the down side, if the speed sensor magnet does get moved slightly such that it is no longer close enough to register, then your 500 will say your speed is Zero, even though it's a GPS and can tell your speed anyway. Then it will keep saying zero speed, and your distance will not increment.

In other words, the sensor (if present) trumps the GPS's speed ability. Not really a problem just something to be aware of.

On the flip side, the sensor gives a more accurate distance measurement in tight switchback scenarios esp if there's tree cover - that's the only real reason I use it.

Dafatkid

Likes Bikes
Garmin GPS quality

I will ditch the sensor, and see how it goes.

You're all right to some extent, my Forerunner 310XT worked REALLY well in really thick bush once. It never lost signal and the 28km run was all there when I uploaded it. Amazing accuracy.

I will ditch the sensor as I find any thought of it being damaged a distraction. And I learnt from years on dirt bikes that distractions are the beginning of crashes.