Newby introduction from Melb

nettabs

Squid
Hi, my name is Shannon and I’m an addict… [Hi Shannon]

Anything bikes/fitness/sports that is.

Well, in my head that’s the case, but in real life it’s a bit hit and miss. I’m not very good at keeping up a regular training regime but I do stints every so often.

I’ve been a runner since I was about 10 and when I was 16 I started riding. 1st bike was an Apollo Aspen 15 speed with grip shift! Lovely bright purple highlights it had. So 90’s. I still have it somewhere at my parents place, but it’s pretty much dead.

My cycling background is primarily Triathlon based and I was introduced to MTB’ing in about 2010. At the time I had a Trek 4300, mostly for commuting, and while the pedals and wheels went around, it was not really a capable off-road machine.
I entered the 2011 Otway Odyssey and in training I quickly realised that the Trek wouldn’t make it too the finish line. I went out and bought a Giant 29er XTC1 Hardtail. Finished the race smack on 8hrs and in that that race alone I learnt heaps about what you can and can’t (or at least what I couldn’t) do on a hardtail MTB.

I still have the XTC29er but am realising the limitations of it. My riding has improved (although I’m still a work in progress) I’m currently in the process of justifying the ‘diplomatic logistics’ (read, how do I convince my Mrs) of acquiring a new steed. I’m strongly considering a Trance 27.5. Early stages yet though.

So, that’s me. I try to get out when I can. Local trails are around Greensborough area. Mostly Plenty Gorge and Smiths Gully with the occasional pinch flat up at Kinglake.

By the way, if you know anyone who is interested in buying a Greenspeed recumbent foldable trike (that’s a whole another story) to assist in my ‘diplomatic bargaining position’ let me know.

Cheers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Recumba what now? You might find someone who runs a novelty museum or gag store that will take it off your hands...

Tell the wife you have a second job. Each time you head off for a ride is a shift. Make sure it is a low paying job like waiter or dishie. It is a cash job...then each time you do the groceries syphon a little cash out to pay yourself. The ruse will last for decades if need be. Provided you arent allergic to shame.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
click on search member function.
look up member by the name of "Chopsticks".
give him the details of the bike, any pictures and an agreed price minus sales commission.
and work out details of sales transaction/transport.
he is RB's fixer, he will sell anything to anyone, as long as there is a buck in it!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
click on search member function.
look up member by the name of "Chopsticks".
give him the details of the bike, any pictures and an agreed price minus sales commission.
and work out details of sales transaction/transport.
he is RB's fixer, he will sell anything to anyone, as long as there is a buck in it!
He'll probably want those 90s purple highlights to sweeten the deal though......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
He'll probably want those 90s purple highlights to sweeten the deal though......
If anyone can move, chops can. He is well connected in all the right circles. There is a high chance he already has a few collectors waiting for something like this.

nettabs

Squid
Recumba what now? You might find someone who runs a novelty museum or gag store that will take it off your hands...

Tell the wife you have a second job. Each time you head off for a ride is a shift. Make sure it is a low paying job like waiter or dishie. It is a cash job...then each time you do the groceries syphon a little cash out to pay yourself. The ruse will last for decades if need be. Provided you arent allergic to shame.

Thanks for the tip. Lying is not my strong point though, and we've known each other for over 20 years so she can see right through it anyway. I like where your head's at though...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks for the tip. Lying is not my strong point though, and we've known each other for over 20 years so she can see right through it anyway. I like where your head's at though...
Is this a subtle way of saying you like my arse?

nettabs

Squid
For those who aren't sure what it is, here's a pic of the 'bent. It's a little different, but probably the most comfortable thing you'll ever ride. Heaps of fun on twisty concrete bike paths but no good off road. Excuse the attempt at an 'arty' pic too:photo :photo:

Attachments

nettabs

Squid
Yeah, they're not the best on-road commuter. Best for bike paths. Pretty scary if it's taken where the biggest and heaviest vehicle wins.

stirk

Burner
For those who aren't sure what it is, here's a pic of the 'bent. It's a little different, but probably the most comfortable thing you'll ever ride. Heaps of fun on twisty concrete bike paths but no good off road. Excuse the attempt at an 'arty' pic too:photo :photo:
Do you ride the thing or does it ride you?

Who's taking the ride?

Probably the designer...:behindsofa: