Newest addition - Home Made Mk2

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Following on from this bike this is the 2nd bike I've put together (with the help of Benj) and I'm really happy with how it's come out. It's going to be WKKIE's bike and hopefully he'll race it at the nationals in DH and 4X!!! :eek:
It does look like a cross breed between a DMR Sidekick and a TonicFab FallGuy but it's got very different geometry to both.
The finishing touches are going on today, including rear brake mount and fixed ISCG tabs but this is pretty much what it'll look like.

The whole thing is hand made out of 4130 T6 CRMO with a file and hacksaw, except for the BB shell and it's designed to be a do-it-all bike. It can take 100mm forks (70deg H/A), 150mm forks as shown (68.5deg H/A) and probably 170mm forks too (approx 67deg H/A). It's got nice short chainstays at about 16.6" long and has tyre clearance for a 2.7" Minion with heaps of mud clearance.

Also a big thanks to everyone in this thread for information/tips/suggestions on gusseting and general design.

Click on the pics for bigger images

Hope you like... It kinda grows on you (at least it did for me ;))

---Matt---

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks good matt, are they getting quicker/easier to make now?

Dicky

Punter God
Nice work mate...

Maybe not intentional, but looks like there's a hint of 1980s looptail BMX style going on there. :D

norco_atomik, you're an idiot. Read the FIRST SENTENCE again carefully...

TH850

Likes Bikes
the bike looks awesome:eek: . but i couldn't see a seatpost clamp/collar thing? have you thought about a badge or name for this one?

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys!

looks good matt, are they getting quicker/easier to make now?
Yeah, they're getting a little easier. But with this new bike were a few new challenges such as the chainstay yoke and the associated jigging up. This has been in the pipeline for the last 1.5 months just a couple hrs a night when I've got spare time. It's really good to get it out of the way so I can get to work on my next one... ;)

Nice work mate...

Maybe not intentional, but looks like there's a hint of 1980s looptail BMX style going on there. :D
Na, not intentional. It didn't quite come out exactly the way I designed it but that was due to our tube bender starting to wear and it's very hard to get a tube bent the way it looks in CAD.

the bike looks awesome:eek: . but i couldn't see a seatpost clamp/collar thing? have you thought about a badge or name for this one?
I believe this one is going to be painted/clear coated, although that's totally up to wkkie. MAYBE we might engrave something into the headtube or something. Nothing has been determined yet.

Oh, and the seatpost collar is one of those other finishing touches.

---Matt---

AN AUSSIE

Likes Dirt
nice work...cant say i love the design but i would never be able to get anywere close to making a frame as ridable as that...props.

mmm..beer

Likes Bikes
Nice work mate...

norco_atomik, you're an idiot. Read the FIRST SENTENCE again carefully...
exactly what i was i first thought. The PK ripper lives on!!!

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sick. I had been following that thread since the start. You have some great talent and can only get better.

Its looks a bit different to your first design but is still pretty cool.

I noticed you didnt put the gusset on. Why not?

Anyway, really good job.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sick. I had been following that thread since the start. You have some great talent and can only get better.

Its looks a bit different to your first design but is still pretty cool.

I noticed you didnt put the gusset on. Why not?

Anyway, really good job.
Yeah, I chose not to use the X gusset because on this bike design I really didn't feel it was necessary. If we managed to find a way to make the design in that thread then I probably would have put it on. The only issue with this one would have been the use of large forks and putting the downtube gusset on should resolve any strength issues there.

I've taken the bike on a couple rides now and I love it. But I won't spoil it for WKKIE (plus I'm a little biased ;)). I'll let him post up what he thinks of it when he gets it.

lebronmtb said:
love every part of it except the back dropout area, good job
Yeah, Like I said, it grows on you. I was a little skeptical at first but I do like it now.

---Matt---

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks a bit like a yeti dh9 back end minus the pivots. are you going to put the brake mount on the inside also? looks ace mate. mad effort

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pete10 said:
looks a bit like a yeti dh9 back end minus the pivots. are you going to put the brake mount on the inside also? looks ace mate. mad effort
The brake mount is going in the usual place, on the back of the dropout. We considered mounting it on the chain stay but I liked the look of it on the dropout a little better.

what sort of price did it cost to make?

haha interested in selling any?:D
Materials cost about $130 for this one... plus all the tools we ended up using.....
I don't think we'll be selling any, any time soon. No idea what we'd do for warranty! :eek: And the price would be stupidly expensive (think about 48hrs of labour per frame + materials :eek:).

---Matt---

Macr

Likes Dirt
Would a diagonal brace from the seat stay to the chain stay be a better brake mount area?