Niner Carbon Fork Replace?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Hey All...

Had an off last night and I think that my fork may have come off with a square edge hit on the rear corner of the right leg.

There are some superficial scratches that I'm not fussed about but there is a clear "impact" looking mark

Photos are a bit blurry but I couldn't find my proper camera

Time to replace?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
no carbon expert mate

I would have thought it would be ok ( I would ride it)- send an email to Elvis @ Dirtworks or give them a ring.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks like the damage is only external, get yourself a powerful LED torch and look closely to see if there's any deeper cracks. Reckon you're ok and that niner fork is a robust piece of equipment.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
and dont fall off in future - wrap your fork in an old inner tube to protect it from your dodgy riding abilities.

I have an old steel vbrake fork you can use - you should give that silly carbon one to me - you obviously cant handle it.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Sounds like a great deal John!

Stupidly, I had just been saying to my mate I was riding with that I couldn't remember the last time I had a decent sketchy moment.

The previous scratches were from when I had pulled over to let a team rider pass in a 6hr enduro where I was riding solo just before a rock garden and then someone else tried to squeeze past and knocked me over...... F$%&er

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Sounds like a great deal John!

Stupidly, I had just been saying to my mate I was riding with that I couldn't remember the last time I had a decent sketchy moment.

The previous scratches were from when I had pulled over to let a team rider pass in a 6hr enduro where I was riding solo just before a rock garden and then someone else tried to squeeze past and knocked me over...... F$%&er
You ride a bike with rigid carbon forks over a 6 hour period? I bet it is one of those new 29er/road/dirt/bike/things too. That will teach you to be nice to other racers next time you are racing - may I suggest next time you race to run the widest bars you can find so no one can pass. You obviously crashed because you are riding a bike with wheels designed for the road. Go back to BMX and work your way back up to a proper mountain bike (FS, geared, 26 inch wheels and knobby tyres). Such rookie mistakes

I would keep riding it but just keep an eye on it.

And, I might decide to make some bar plugs with retractable spikes for the rudeness.

But, if you are concerned and are smarter than me you could send it to this bloke to get checked.

http://www.carbonbikerepair.com.au/

No association with us, seen his work, spoken to him and decided he was very clever and is where I would send any damaged carbon bits our customers had.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I would keep riding it but just keep an eye on it.

And, I might decide to make some bar plugs with retractable spikes for the rudeness.

But, if you are concerned and are smarter than me you could send it to this bloke to get checked.

http://www.carbonbikerepair.com.au/

No association with us, seen his work, spoken to him and decided he was very clever and is where I would send any damaged carbon bits our customers had.
He looks pretty amazing at what he does!

The downside is that shipping and a scan will cost nearly $200 whilst my insurance excess is $100

Its funny talking to him, you spend 5 minutes before he starts talking so far beyond your understanding of composites and structures, you get horribly confused and start to feel straight out dumb.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I have no idea on structures.....

I did organic chem at uni......

But nothing on materials... it's all black magic, smoke, pulleys and whistles to me.

Rocks on the other hand... I know those

Big JD

Wheel size expert
oh you are funny Ackland - enough with your juxa-word-letter-tricks.
Next race you go in I will be the one behind you calling out - "track,track track you MF" - but I wont be riding a bike rather running behind you dressed in a full body black rubber cat suit with a 12 inch strap on. Yeah lets see your smoke and mirrors then buddy

Ackland

chats d'élevage
oh you are funny Ackland - enough with your juxa-word-letter-tricks.
Next race you go in I will be the one behind you calling out - "track,track track you MF" - but I wont be riding a bike rather running behind you dressed in a full body black rubber cat suit with a 12 inch strap on. Yeah lets see your smoke and mirrors then buddy
So you often go to the SS nats then?