nitelight's - how do they rate

RichJS

Likes Dirt
They're also sold as Magicshines. Allegedly 900 lumens is a bit of a stretch but consensus is they're good value. Early ones apparently had a couple of issues, mostly fixed now.

Apparently Australian sales are now exclusively through the authorised distibutor channel .. There's plenty of info and dicussion over in the Lights thread.

Louman

Likes Bikes
I have a set and can vouch that they are pretty bright!!!

Got mine through Deal Extreme at a very reasonable price under hungy big ones...

Gripo

Eats Squid
What's their delivery time like, I purchased yesterday and it's still pending payment?

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't seen them in the flesh.

But either we have been badly, badly gouged on light prices for a very long time, or they are not an equivalent product to what is already in the market.

1/3 of existing retail cost for a new product is a big cut.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Haven't seen them in the flesh.

But either we have been badly, badly gouged on light prices for a very long time, or they are not an equivalent product to what is already in the market.

1/3 of existing retail cost for a new product is a big cut.
The Magicshines are a Chinese built product that is imported, whereas I believe lights like the Ay ups are assembled here.

So it is hard to compare them on price alone.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
I got my MagicShine lights for A$125 each from www.bikelights.com.au and they come with Australian chargers.

Like anything, you get what you pay for. The more expensive units are better built from what I have seen.

dhd

Downhill Direct
I have them and they are fine. Plenty bright enough for proper off road riding/racing. I often don't even bother swicthing on the bar mount light as the helmet is so good. The main difference in light from Ayups is the spread of light is wider, more like a floodlight and the light is whiter.
The mounting system is a bit cheesy, but works OK.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Roughly 3 weeks. Order goes to US and shipped from China in a slow boat...
More like 3 days..
I ordered a set twice, once for me and then got another for a mate a week later, both times it only took 3 business days from when I ordered from bikelights.com.au

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
was that what you were using the other night ??? 900 lumins ??? if yes its prolly the same output as one yup

worth a look IMO
Yes, but I had it on medium some of the time and high on the single track. I'd say it was similar to the Ay Up, the beam is a lot wider on the MagicShine. 900 lumens is the max output of the LED, not the light. Should get the lux meter out and compare them. We got ours in a few days from bikelights.com.au

MrBump

Squid
Yep.....3 days delivery time for me also.

Initial garage tests. They are at least as bright as a single ay-up.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
sweet, faster than trying to get most things from a lbs
Damn straight. I'm sick to death of a certain bike shop screwin me round before races. They don't give a s%#t if it takes them 4 weeks to follow up an order for a part that they know I need for a race.

The fact that I've been a customer of theirs for a couple of years and am fairly competitive obviously makes bugger all difference. Not that I'm in favour of preferential treatment -- if i was a shit rider, i'd still want them to do their job.

Apologies for going off topic.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
The battery pack on my Magishine light (same unit as "Nitelights") has died :(.

It rain for five minutes at the end of a ride last week, I dried the battery pack just after the ride and charged it the next morning. That night after charging the battery and before my next ride I noticed the light wasn't working.

The battery packs are not sealed very well and water can penetrate into the battery. The main issue is that there is a regulator PCB at one end of the battery pack. This PCB corrodes and cuts the power off to the light.

There are various post on overseas forums claiming the same problem. My battery pack looks similar to the one in this post.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=6447593&postcount=4

Also see this post for more info.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572827

I have asked if it can be claimed under warranty and I will post here when I find out.