No drive, cassette just spins / is the LBS at fault?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Absolutely bang on as usual my friend. The "toothed drive ring" appears to be the issue as it is turning in the hub body. Hopefully it is something that can be repaired but I'm guessing it's stripped/turning in the threads in the hub body.

View attachment 376673

Google screenshot as the pictures my phone takes are too large to post.
If that's the case she is toast.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

nathanm

Eats Squid
Updated on OP
So it's been determined that a) I suck at many things, but this time specifically identifying relatively standard parts and drive systems. b) I need a complete new rear wheel as the rim was already on it's last legs and now the Hub is a total loss.

So where do I find a 27.5", 12x142 wheel with a Hub to suit an XD driver. An interwebs search only gave me the Sun Ringle Duroc 30 (35?) as an option at $250 from Cycling Deal, or a few other options but add a $100 11 speed cassette (and chain).

nathanm

Eats Squid
So just chatting with link about the wheel and he asked if the wheel had been messed with recently.
Long story about the bike being stolen and recovered and replaced and not ridden, but yes the bearings were replaced by the lbs just a handful of rides ago. So the question is now has the shop caused the damage when servicing the hub?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Possibly..... The teeth of the drive ring very slightly overhang the edge of the bearing journal, so it needs to be removed first in order to take the bearing out. If they've simply forced the bearing out, then it would take the drive ring thread with it.

However, who knows what might have happened while the bike was otherwise possessed. (Were the bearings done before or after it was nicked?)

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Those drive rings can also take a lot of ugga duggas to get out even if they did remove it. Big breaker bar. You would expect someone noticed though if they screwed it up and stripped something.

nathanm

Eats Squid
However, who knows what might have happened while the bike was otherwise possessed. (Were the bearings done before or after it was nicked?)
Luckily the bike came back untouched. Other than a stripped pedal thread from them trying to swap from clipless to flats and putting a right pedal in the left crank. I don't think the thieving scum even rode it.

bobob

Has $20
The wheel really does sound like it needed servicing. The Sun Ringle Duroc 30 (35?), a mate bought did not last a month. With a cush core and not crazy riding. Just broke spokes almost every ride.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Looks like a fine thread, and it makes it easy for the useless to cross-thread, very highly possible cross-threaded by who ever had it out last.