no front brakes

dirt rider

Likes Dirt
i am just noticing peopel riding with out front brakes on their bike and wanted to no why does it help them ?

is it just because they dont need it or for weight ?

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't use a front brake, i ride dj and street, i just dont feel the need to stop that quickly ...most of the time :p

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
- Commitment.

Force yourself into the last-second choice of hitting up something or probably crashing into it without being able to stop. Which one are you going to take?

- less stuff to break if you crash.

- the simplicity of one brake, one gear is fun too - you stop thinking about silly things like optimum gear selection, and just ride.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i dunno bout most ppl but only reason im riding without a front brake atm is cos my juicy 5 cable is too short and i cant afford to replace it :(

Flynn

Likes Bikes
my front brake cable snapped.
thats the only reason why i ride front brakeless.....i didnt think i used them until i broke them, but im used to it now so i dont care (my bike is a p.o.s anyway)

RCOH

Eats Squid
Riding front brakeless makes you better rider.

Front brakes allow you do easy tricks that look good, like endos, stoppies & nose pivots. Take off the front brake & you realise that all the hard tricks rely mainly on rear brakes or no brakes. So if you, like me, can't bunnyhop high, manual, abubaca etc then all you really do while on a ride is watch people session different spots. This is a great motivational tool to make you learn new tricks, that are actually difficult. And so you become a better rider.

Then when you are good you can put a front brake back on & quickly learn the few tricks you need a front brake for.

*Backwards nosewheelies down slopes are very hard & you do need a front brake to do those.

farkus

Likes Dirt
i think another good point would be if you are in a rythm and you want to bail out you only have to think about one brake

Monkey!

Likes Bikes
:D my opinion is that its silly to take it off... front brake has like 70% stopping power, wat would u rather do break ur bike, or have a front break and live ( that is if ur about 2 crash and u cant stop in time) :D

CRS01

Likes Dirt
If you only dj then its just not nessercery, same goes for street to some extent. its those nut cases that ride brakless that really impress me....total commitment!

josh_lives_here

Likes Dirt
when I ride skateparks and dirt jumps I generally dont even use breaks.
taking your front break off looks better, gives more room on handlebars, reduces cable rub and front breaks are just another thing that bangs around and makes your bike sound bad.

I think if in your style of riding a front break helps then you should have it, but if you dont use it why bother having it?

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
josh_lives_here said:
when I ride skateparks and dirt jumps I generally dont even use breaks.
taking your front break off looks better, gives more room on handlebars, reduces cable rub and front breaks are just another thing that bangs around and makes your bike sound bad.

I think if in your style of riding a front break helps then you should have it, but if you dont use it why bother having it?
Reduce cable rub? LOL! If you run your front brake cable around your frame and back down again to the dropouts, you've got problems.
Meh, i like my front brake :p, and by looking at the paint that has come off my levers it looks like i use my front brake more than my back. :eek:

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dicky said:
Force yourself into the last-second choice of hitting up something or probably crashing into it without being able to stop. Which one are you going to take?
Haha, yea i know alll about that...And as a result i got three nail's in my right ass cheek...Hahaha..

Well im getting a hard tail, i might just go one brake if some ones selling just one, alot cheaper :)

I think its a stupid idea me riding with one brake..MUHAHA!!

.243rider

Likes Dirt
i ride dirt and street and dont run brakes. brakes are gay. bike is smoother and easier 2 do bar tricks. etc barspins and x ups n stuff.