No new Giant brass or STP??????

Are STPs cool and should they come back?

• Yes

Votes: 70 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 31.4%

• Total voters

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone

I was just flicking through the new 2011 Giant bikes range and looking at all the other bikes and I went look at the dirt jumpers.... and they weren't there!!! This is is a terrble mistake as the STP was one of the most popular bikes they had! I know the brass was a bit ordinary but its better than nothin.

Anyone got some explanations they know about or you just want to comment on this major mistake, post it here. I'm really disapointed in Giant and it now makes me wish I had a norco. :(

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. I'm really disapointed in Giant and it now makes me wish I had a norco. :(
That bit confuses me, so you already have an STP or a Brass, why would this news make you disappointed and wish you had a Norco ..?

In regards to the actual question, i got nothin'.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
That bit confuses me, so you already have an STP or a Brass, why would this news make you disappointed and wish you had a Norco ..?
Actually ive just got a throw around Giant XC (and love it) which i use for everything, but hopefully Im goin to get a sassy or an stp really soon. I was looking to buy one new but i thought id wait it out and buy either bikes new...

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Actually ive just got a throw around Giant XC (and love it) which i use for everything, but hopefully Im goin to get a sassy or an stp really soon. I was looking to buy one new but i thought id wait it out and buy either bikes new...
They ran out of ugly paint schemes and gave up.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
check page 38 here in the giant catolouge, 35mb download!

its a real shame the stp wont be in AUS for 2010 or '11, it was a great bike. when mine dies (if not already has) i would really like to get a 2011 stp. it also has H drop outs so itl be sweat for single speed :)

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Giant brought to many STP's into the country for the 2009 season. Sales were low and they ended up with a lot of stock left which they've been selling off at discounted prices right through 2010. They've decided to drop the STP for 2011. I believe Giant USA is developing a new STP and we'll probably see that bike here for 2012.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giant brought to many STP's into the country for the 2009 season. Sales were low and they ended up with a lot of stock left which they've been selling off at discounted prices right through 2010. They've decided to drop the STP for 2011. I believe Giant USA is developing a new STP and we'll probably see that bike here for 2012.
this is what i heard also.

Likes Bikes
yeah when i went into the bikeshop and was talking to one of the guys there he was telling me they werent even making them anymore and how lucky i was to have one so no idea there.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

maybe the new 2012 model is the catalyst for the end of the world, those mayans were very smart to realise its a very very evil bike

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So next year might be a good time to sell my stp to the desperado's then? ;):D

When I saw pics of the 2011 STP I assumed it was coming to Aus.
Really though I don't think it's a crucial matter, plenty of other DJ type bike brands to choose from!

Spotty

Likes Dirt
oh thanks. Ill try and edit the thread and put in a poll to see how popular really STPs are and how many people actually like them. I might wait till i here about the '12 models, if the world doesnt end.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
btw i have honestly no idea why the brass getting droped is a bad thing!

it was the worst bike i have ever had the misfortune of having to sell

Spotty

Likes Dirt
btw i have honestly no idea why the brass getting droped is a bad thing!

it was the worst bike i have ever had the misfortune of having to sell
Yeah im with you on that one, it was fairly ordinary - god knows why they brought it out?

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ cheap entry level bike???, for those preteens that cant afford the all-mighty STP???

i should be less narcissistic towards the STP its not all that bad of a bike, yet its not that good of a bike, i guess i get that feeling because its not really a specific type of bike, its not DJ/park, its not trail, its not light XC, or all mountain, i guess its a little bit of all, and with that sacrifices need to be made in all areas.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ cheap entry level bike???, for those preteens that cant afford the all-mighty STP???

i should be less narcissistic towards the STP its not all that bad of a bike, yet its not that good of a bike, i guess i get that feeling because its not really a specific type of bike, its not DJ/park, its not trail, its not light XC, or all mountain, i guess its a little bit of all, and with that sacrifices need to be made in all areas.
I think that's probably spot on. However I thought it was supposed to be good at DJ/park? Or are you saying not because a DJ park bike would have a steeper head angle?

Great bike for people who want to do it all but in reality do nothing then, no wonder I brought one:D

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
However I thought it was supposed to be good at DJ/park? Or are you saying not because a DJ park bike would have a steeper head angle?
All good dj/park mountain bikes now are pretty much bmxes with 26"wheels, really short wheel base, high and tight geo with a steep head angle, and cromo. The stp came stock with all this unecessary, heavy mountain bike components that made it look dated and crap when compared with bikes like the NS completes and the norco 250 etc.

Gears, two brakes aluminium mountain bikey frames aren't the trend anymore, and giant didn't bring out a bike that djers wanted, hence they sold badly.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that's probably spot on. However I thought it was supposed to be good at DJ/park? Or are you saying not because a DJ park bike would have a steeper head angle?
pretty much saying its a very ordinary DJ/street platform to use, in comparison to a DJ/street specific bike. it DMR transition, NS, Black market etc, though my DMR sidekick jumped much better and its a 4X based bike. very similar dimensions and GEO

Spotty

Likes Dirt
They ran out of ugly paint schemes and gave up.
Good thought, i personally dont like the 2007 ones much. And whats with purple Stp 2s! Im sure there are heaps of people (me for one) who dont like to stand out and look like some BMX bandit, but in the US they gave the purple another go and it looks disgusting!

There are few cool colours out there though especially the black ones

floody

Wheel size expert
All good dj/park mountain bikes now are pretty much bmxes with 26"wheels, really short wheel base, high and tight geo with a steep head angle, and cromo. The stp came stock with all this unecessary, heavy mountain bike components that made it look dated and crap when compared with bikes like the NS completes and the norco 250 etc.

Gears, two brakes aluminium mountain bikey frames aren't the trend anymore, and giant didn't bring out a bike that djers wanted, hence they sold badly.
Cliff notes:
Not enough trendy neon parts, 12 year olds stop screaming at parents to buy them, market gone.