No news coverage of Brosnan, hill and hannah

Oliver2424

Likes Bikes
Well most Mtn bikers know by now of the success of the 3 Aussies at fort William but im curious as why there was no news coverage or anything like that(im talking about on the tv for everyone to see). I mean you get a Aussie winning the snooker championships and its all over the news so shouldn't Australia know about a DH race the we did well in? Just curious as to what others think of this.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Well most Mtn bikers know by now of the success of the 3 Aussies at fort William but im curious as why there was no news coverage or anything like that(im talking about on the tv for everyone to see). I mean you get a Aussie winning the snooker championships and its all over the news so shouldn't Australia know about a DH race the we did well in? Just curious as to what others think of this.
I was thinking this exact same thing this morning watching the 7/sunrise sport wrap up. Could it be anything to do with redbull owning the rights to it?
Even If it is, 3 Aussies placing first, second and third on the world stage.

Time for a shakeup, what's the agenda against mtb? If it was any other uci road event and an Aussie did well it would be all over the news. I even caught a 3 second glimpse a few months back of Caroline Buchanan getting some airtime in the bmx.

Sent by courier pigeon

heavyp

You heard it here first
Yeah its a bit of a piss take but you have a maiden F1 win one of the biggest sports in the world, the world cup team warming up to more fans than they would get in there own country, Tennis grand final, Origin, Union, Gay FL, and lots of other stuff going on but it is frustrating they always show the lycra clad road racers which in my eyes bores me shitless but I'm sure the retired clueless coffee drinking lycra crew you see every morning lap it up.

It may get a mention on Sbs they care about cycling.

teK--

Eats Squid
Rupert Murdoch and James Packer hate mountain bikers :(

You'd think it would even make the odd-spot news instead of the usual Cat-Up-A-Tree feelgood stories...

indica

Serial flasher
Did you email any of them and ask?
Don't SBS usually have some highlights on Cycling whatever?

treble

Likes Dirt
The spectator that crashed in Cairns made the news, I think there was a short piece on 'play of the day' on ten news a couple of days after the race.
Mainstream news (in this country anyway) is really only interested in MTB when they can display it as some 'Extreme sport' that is the pinnacle of craziness and danger. They aren't really interested in the competitive sport aspect of it. Which is a shame I think, Australia is a great mountain biking nation, we produce some great athletes who, i think its fair to say, are always serious contenders on the world stage. Unlike the athletes we sent to another certain world cup, who, despite all efforts of the commercial networks to convince us otherwise, are only there to make up the numbers and have no hope of being considered contenders.

At the same time though, I kind of prefer it this way. Mountain biking isn't mainstream, so for the most part its followed by and run by people that actually love and are involved in the sport, rather than some corporate body trying to turn it into a business. I know the UCI has its moments, but if you look at whats going on lately with Snowboarding and the IOC. you can see what mainstream exposure can do to the image of a sport like ours.

Oliver2424

Likes Bikes
The spectator that crashed in Cairns made the news, I think there was a short piece on 'play of the day' on ten news a couple of days after the race.
Mainstream news (in this country anyway) is really only interested in MTB when they can display it as some 'Extreme sport' that is the pinnacle of craziness and danger. They aren't really interested in the competitive sport aspect of it. Which is a shame I think, Australia is a great mountain biking nation, we produce some great athletes who, i think its fair to say, are always serious contenders on the world stage. Unlike the athletes we sent to another certain world cup, who, despite all efforts of the commercial networks to convince us otherwise, are only there to make up the numbers and have no hope of being considered contenders.

At the same time though, I kind of prefer it this way. Mountain biking isn't mainstream, so for the most part its followed by and run by people that actually love and are involved in the sport, rather than some corporate body trying to turn it into a business. I know the UCI has its moments, but if you look at whats going on lately with Snowboarding and the IOC. you can see what mainstream exposure can do to the image of a sport like ours.
yer is see where your coming from in the last paragraph and when you think about I guess its good in that way

driftking

Wheel size expert
This is nothing new its been happening forever, the reality is mountain biking is not mainstream at all, you may get a few mentions of the likes of cadel evans and mostly road riders but once you get into the more extreme scene you get nothing out side the circles.
For me the most notable with troy winning jnr worlds and sam winning elite worlds on the same day with no coverage yet a random aussie golfer made the top 70cut and was in the news.

The thing is these riders don't do this for coverage and while it is frustrating to see this happen they are acknowledged where it counts and institutes like cycling Australia do support riders, Hill in the past has won an Australian of the year award.
Ultimately we ride because we love it we shouldn't need to worry about external validation of what we do, we know how hard this sport is, I have been vocal on the forums clearly stating I see it has one of the most involved and difficult sports in the world there is so much involved. That does not mean other athletes put in less work but they are stretched between less factors and I stand by that firmly additional the mental aspect is easily one of the hardest, its facing fear and injury head on with high risk tracks, takes a bit more to ride that fast than run 100meter mentally.

Back on point though, its the situation we are in and that goes the other way too, we are not mainstream and that contributes to the good demographic we have, we are able to maintain this very close nit welcoming community, the more mainstream it goes the more wankers you get coming into the sport. It does shit me that riders are paid peanuts compared to other arguably lesser sports but you know what the riders are there for the love of it and to be the best I don't know many that are driven by money otherwise your in the wrong sport.

My advice is learn to accept the sport is how it is and not worry about what everyone else thinks, go ride enjoy it and be happy in what you accomplished not how much acknowledgment your receive.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Jesus tap dancing christ i'm sick of fuckwits referring to it as this.
:violin: haha I am a fuckwit

Its partly that I'm English and our (well the rest of the worlds) version of football you actually use your feet and if it touching it with your hands it no allowed, but the bumps and the douche bags just hitting each other off the ball is pathetic to much testosterone getting around in those dickheads bodies there always going on about King hitting in the streets and how dangerous it is well i've seen a few on the field when its been on tv and they get paid shit loads of money for doing it and try getting off there bans when they get convicted.
To many people on the field and to top it off you score points if you miss the main goal go figure made for simpletons and people who still need to be praised and made to feel good for not actually kicking it through the proper part of the goal :focus:

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't in any way consider myself a fan of AFL, don't even follow a team. But to be fair, There are some massively overpaid, ego driven, dickheads in your preferred version of football too... just say'n :whistle:

Johnacles

Likes Bikes
Back on topic, I honestly believe that Mountain Biking should get a f:whistle:kload more coverage that it does currently, downhill especially. It's one of the few sports that actually holds my interest at 1:30 in the morning unlike road racing or flipping golf, and usually F1 (this race was an exception), I just don't know why there isn't more public coverage, even of the results to news programs.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
New coveragers are generally fairly lazy, they will fill their telecast with
a)what is traditionally popular and will appease majority of viewers
b)what event media managers send to them.

No one send them the footage with the story half written it's not going to get covered. Simple as that. I remember ch9 doing a bit on Sam Hill back when he was on top when MTBA had a media manager.

But seriously do we need it? I doubt there is a single person interested who hasn't already seen it, the replay or the results.
Does prime time news coverage give us something? Does it mean we fit in and and are accepted or give us some credibility or something?

I just like riding my bike and occasionally like watch those far better at it then I battle it out for supremacy. I can't see being on prime time TV making it any more special for me

Johnacles

Likes Bikes
But seriously do we need it? I doubt there is a single person interested who hasn't already seen it, the replay or the results.
Does prime time news coverage give us something? Does it mean we fit in and and are accepted or give us some credibility or something?

I just like riding my bike and occasionally like watch those far better at it then I battle it out for supremacy. I can't see being on prime time TV making it any more special for me
Although that's like asking "Why is Football broadcast all across the television" I do see your point, I just think it would be awesome to have these brilliant Australians recognised for what they're getting up to, inspiring the Overweight, lazy youth of today (I am one) to get out there and have a ball on a bike.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm glad it doesn't get on the mainstream news feeds. Boring people watch the news anyway, it is nothing but contrived garbage that you are fed and surprisingly believe!
I knew it happened, my mates who follow the sport know it happened, why does a seventy year old who watches shows about antiques need to know it happened? Do we as mountain bikers give a toss about the nanna who won her first world bingo championship? I don't watch the news, I don't read newspapers and I don't look at any pages that summarize the daily news. It's sad to see that the main news stories are traditionally things about politics in our country, it's people reporting on a fat guy sitting in an office doing a run of the mill job that we as voters feel we should make our top priority in our discussions at the smoko table and we feel as though our view on it is worth fighting for. For fucks sake, you only talk about politics because it's all you are fed via your news sources and you think it's important. Here's a suggestion: Better yourself and ignore the fucking crap, it's not the one and only life source you have.

Three

Likes Bikes
I dont expect a lot of coverage in the media, but something would be nice.

Sad that Troy wont even get a paragraph in his local paper.