No Otway Odyssey Thread?

Unfortunately, I missed the Odyssey this time for the first time in many years. The week after the race I popped into Rotorburn to read how the race went for others but there appeared to be no thread? I looked again and still could not locate one and am starting to suspect that there was never a thread. Is this correct? if so, that would not bode well for the future, there used to be such a buzz around this race. And with the Wombat 100 no more . . .

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I did it for the 2nd time this year. Definitely seemed a bit quieter. Dunno if it's because the date change to mid-summer may have scared folk off

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was over 1000 riders including the new 30 and 10k kids which had lots of riders, beautifully organized by RA great atmosphere as usual, weather just perfect, single track was firm and fast.

numbers wise when I checked before event there was around 250 100kers, 550 50kers and quite good numbers on 30 and 10.

the event has gone from attracting mainly serious mtbers to more families, new riders etc.

so its more a Around the Bay for mtbers, that's not a criticism as you still have the typical hard core bunch in top 10-20% with lots more riders doing event as a rite of passage into mtb hard-core-ness.

so for me if you're passionate about riding single track its a must do event for its organization, the riders it attracts and the superb single track it offers, apart from cost and the fact they don't have camping there's not many reasons to not do event if you want to challenge yourself.

btw wombat 50 this weekend, perfect weather........

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi MTB.

Out of curiosity what did you do for accommodation? Stay down there? Did most people camp?

Cheers,

Graeme

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a few spots I camp at, a bit off the grid. I usually arrive on a Friday night so only for 1 night with early start.

most people seem to go the accommodation route, but they're usually 2 day minimum or they are too far from forrest. I can't be bothered chasing accommodation to hard mate when you can go bush.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think MTB nailed it, the focus has totally changed toward a participation event.

One thing I noticed this year was how many people were rolling in from the 50k well into 5 hours. A lot of people must set the goal and go out to enjoy the day, good on them for it.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
One thing I noticed this year was how many people were rolling in from the 50k well into 5 hours. A lot of people must set the goal and go out to enjoy the day, good on them for it.
I beat last year's time by 53 min although i still claim I wasn't racing. I just wanted to get to the Forrest Brewery van earlier.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I think MTB nailed it, the focus has totally changed toward a participation event.

it's a pretty nice spot for a ride but probably a bit too far away from Melbourne for most people just to go ride there on any Sunday, unlike the Youies or Lysterfield which are 45 minutes away for most. So I reckon too that people have it as a bucket list ride that they just finally get done at some point.

EDIT... wooo, the Wombat 50 this weekend. Looking forward to it.

mlenton

Squid
Hi MTB.

Out of curiosity what did you do for accommodation? Stay down there? Did most people camp?

Cheers,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I stayed down that way the last time competed but this time I drove down Saturday morning, it took just over 2 hours from Wheelers Hill. Arrived at 6am had some breaky, competed in the 50K, enjoyed some refreshments and the atmosphere of the race village and was back home by 3pm. Grass cut and car washed by sundown. A bit of long day but certainly doable and I always sleep better in my own bed. Hope this helps.