Nomad 3: 160 vs. 170 fork

tunsis

Likes Bikes
Apologies if this is a needless thread - have searched the web trying to find an answer to this but no luck.

I'm building up a Nomad 3 frame and am deciding on forks.

For 2016 Santa Cruz started shipping Nomads with 170 forks vs the 2014, 2015 models with a 160. Cant see any geo changes / updates in the frames, they've just decided to increase front travel.

Anybody know why or what the deal was with that? Does this have any real world consequences to a Nomad 3 other than slightly higher BB, tiny bit slacker HA, SA?

I'm leaning towards some Lyrik 170's atm... but am not sure they would offer that much benefit over some Pike 160's for my more trail orientated riding.

Markee

Likes Dirt
No consequence I'd think. Just as you've said, a bit slacker and slightly higher BB.

I've got a Lyrik dual position 150/180mm and it's blindingly good on the descents at 180mm! Cruising single track on the way back up at 150mm works well but it does involve choosing your line a little more carefully due to the lower BB, but the Nomad has always be known for that.

I'd say go for it as the Lyrik 170mm is awesome and I'd get either that or a Fox 36 in 170mm if I were to go the other way.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
^^ As he said, stuff all difference.

There's be a bigger handling difference caused by sag & damping setup.